Sewing Awl

skunkpit

Reaction score
Made a few sewing awls here, one fro ma nail one from a long skinny bolt
some pictures attached

i found the nail worked best
this was all done with access to a workshop, grinder, drill press

the nail awl was made with a 2.5 - 3 inch wood nail, it seemed like hardened steal somewhat
i ground down flat sides on either end first to get a good working area on the nail to drill a hole through

then aligned the thread hole where abouts i felt was a good spot

then slowly drill pressed a small hole into the nail frequently putting the drill bit into a cup of water and the nail into water to cool them down

once the hole was drilled, started shaping the nail to a similar shape as store bought awls

taped a handle onto it and shitsham on the rifram

works really well, doesn't have a thread repository like some awls but works fair enough

IM003175.jpg

IM003168.jpg

IM003177.jpg

grind.gif

skunkpit

Reaction score
i think this is it for now gonna hit the road somewheres
sometime im gonna make a wearable sleeping bag again n put some pics up of the process

EaznaZ

Reaction score
fuckin' awesome, way cheaper than the store bought kind. (unless you're into goinking of course). I've been wanting to make a sewing needle out of bone for a while. Somepoint, when I've got access to a shop again and am not lazy while there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads