seeking shelter , travel companions ,escape

samiblake

Reaction score
Hello,
new to this site
looking for shelter preferably in nyc , a workshare,intentional community,squatting,commune,art studio to sleep in etc
a group/person to roam with .
only neccesties : shelter,food ,water
would travel on my own since i cant seem to make friends but like people too much and dont have neccesary survival skills yet.
looking to escape dying in my childhood home in the suburbs
straight edge
dont know what else to elaborate on .. ..feel free to ask questions :3
oh also tried couchsurfing no one would except me since im a new member and i dont have reccomendations,tried craigslist ,every commune in ny ,etc ....running out of options .
hope i can find a community here /someone to relate too

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Nice intro saw your other post first, though here is where to welcome you.

looking for signs of life

Me too... Though I usually put on my tin foil hat and chant "ohm" at the night sky.
(Thats how you support the resistance... lol... )
Wow thats a bad joke.

Anyway.
Welcome to STP.
Great site here and Hope you find useful information in alternative living.

We have a search function across from your name mail and alerts and there is an updated fact thing that our fearless leader @Matt Derrick updated.
https://squattheplanet.com/faq/using-the-website/

Good luck.

Reactions: Kal

samiblake

Reaction score
lol, :p I just try and stay calm and pretend my giant stuffed rabbit is my friend .
thanks odin :) though im having trouble navigating this website because it runs super duper slow/lags on my computer.
do you know of anything I can get involved with asap .
and if i want to be a crust punk , do i have to dress as a boy/wear a chastity belt/carry weapons so I dont get raped ?

Reactions: Mankini

Cirno9

Reaction score
Well its always advisable to carry a knife, usually not for self protection but can be used as such (though mace is preferable in that situation). and if you wanted to be a "crust punk" I suggest you take shelter off of your necessities unless you mean a tarp or a tent. If you really want to try and live in a community based thing you can check out slab city, CA or one of the many many squats in NOLA. Not sure what else to say except welcome to STP, happy travels man!

samiblake

Reaction score
I kinda carry a knife with me even when not traveling , always expect the worse.
its says slab city is for old snowbirds :/
okay maybe id rather try a commune , live/work ,squatting last resort .

that one guy

Playful asshole
Banned
Reaction score
FUNNY!
Its not jsut you, the website is fucked up at the moment.
I suggest you get west, new england is probably not the best. Your a cute girl though, you godda be careful who you hook up with, most of us here are pretty ok though there are still a few bad apples lurking here and there. Got a car?

samiblake

Reaction score
the website is running smoother now. why whats wrong with new england ?
I know i am careful , i trust no one , not even myself . but at some point i have to start living.
i wish , if i had a fake drivers license . or should i just keep showing up to the dmv and taking the test over and over until they get annoyed ?
im not cute or a girl

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
lol, :p I just try and stay calm and pretend my giant stuffed rabbit is my friend .
thanks odin :) though im having trouble navigating this website because it runs super duper slow/lags on my computer.
do you know of anything I can get involved with asap .
and if i want to be a crust punk , do i have to dress as a boy/wear a chastity belt/carry weapons so I dont get raped ?

Hehe... ahh... I'm probably not the best one for immediate advice.
Though I have years of experience... surviving on my own... miliatary and so forth and other shit.. I am also a goofball. And often it's difficult for me to organize my thoughts. Though I will always find a way to survive. (personally on my way to being a free traveler... on my terms...)
I don't live like a crust punk... and my travel has been organized and regimented so far.
And although I'm on the cusp of heading out.. I have been a hermit man now for some years.
Even on the road I expect myself to keep my own way and personality.
I wish the best for you though... so...
UM... though...the way to go about it is... do your research.
About the different lifestyles being houseless.
Are you gonna live out of a backpack?
Do you have a base of friends or family for support if shit goes sideways on the road.
Can you scrounge up the flow to be a vehicle dweller?
What are the resources for houseless people in your area?
Look up all the subjects and words that apply to... key words.. that apply to your situation.
Thats if your sticking to one area or traveling.
Check out the threads on this forum about gear.
There are a lot of opinions on that. From complete minimal gear to packing way too much. It really depends on what you can handle and your skills at "gathering" those resources you don't have right there with you.

I really would like to give you a list of cool shit... but at least part of that list is basically this website. STP. So you gotta search through it... the history and the threads for useful info. Can't type it all up.

And I don't think any one knows it all anyway.

Um... though

Top o my noggin tips.

Yes carry a knife... but not necessarily something that will get you in trouble with the law. I have always thought that a walking staff of some sort would be good if you can use it effectively. Though the opinions vary on protections.
I think... for now the best protection is knowing where you are and whats around you. Be situationally aware.

For communities.. never been there... but slabs does not seem to me as an exclusive snow bird place. It's well known now... but if you are resourceful it seems like a good place to make friends.

How to dress? I dunno... some groups, folks think you need to dress a certain way to fit in... I don't buy that. I don't care about fashion and if someone wants to chill with me I'm good. Whatever they look at. Like anything just keep your wits and senses about you. Your gut instincts about people should be a baseline for how you interact.
Even if your wrong... a decent person should not be angry at ya... just standoffish.

Heck not every one gets along... even nice folks...

Be brave. Live well. Keep your eyes open and have fun.

Good Luck.

samiblake

Reaction score
odin , thank you so much for the tips
but i think im in over my head , since im not capable of thinking ahead . that rhymed :p
i either need to find a group , or perfect my only skill of being an escape artist .
i can never organize my thoughts , possible brain damage ?
i dont mind living out of a backpack
i do have my parents house to go back to though ,i would rather not under any circumstances.
dont have any friends, wish i did.
dont have my drivers license , might get a fake or annoy the dmv people by taking the test over and over
what will get me in trouble with the law ? my knifes are pretty big but i need them
i dont mind doing hours of research , which im doing now night and day glued to the computer , not eating drinking, little bathroom breaks. i need to get the fuck out of here . i just dont know the right thing to start research . and the longer i stay here the more dangerous it gets .
i want to play it safe and take baby steps like couchsurf but no one will take me because im a new member and have no reccomendations + im socially awkward which people mistake for being rude .
is their a way to ease myself into this ? applying to wwoof now.
maybe i should just get a queen cersei esque chastity belt load up on swords/knifes , and just fucking do it .

Reactions: Kal and Mankini

lone wolf

Reaction score
I want to do all of that , but I also dont want to die .
death is only hard on the living...

a member mentioned in another thread to carry a screwdriver for protection. personally i'd rather have the knife also but in many places they are illegal. a screwdriver could serve the same purpose and save you from a court date.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Kal and SpaceDirt

Kal

Reaction score
The best thing to do is just start traveling make sure to bring what will help you survive food water a pocket knife, tarp or tent blanket or sleeping bag. Learn what you can in survival what plants to eat that kind of stuff. Food stamps are a good thing spend wisely. Check the internet for places to stay or eat all you have to do is type where you are at and homeless as much as I hate the word homeless this works. N.Y.C is a verry big city but don't let that scare, the worse thing you can do is live your life in fear. I have been hitching and hopping trains ( mostly hitching) and living outside for years and only take shelter if it is to cold outside and I am still alive.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads