Seeking ride out of florida | Squat the Planet

Seeking ride out of florida

Cici Carmella

Reaction score
Hello friends,
I am new to this website, but am finding it to be very helpful so far. I have recent found myself in a predicament leaving me backpacking I guess you could call it. I am currently living in ocala Florida, looking for any kind of either ride out to California, a road partner to travel with, or someone going on an adventure who wouldn't mind me coming along with them I am friendly spiritual and I really love music I like to write songs and poems about my experiences. I love adventure and am hoping to find a new journey and a new path, away from drama and fake friends, and towards something new and enriching. (352) 340-0021.
Lots of love,
Carmella

Hazardoussix6six

RideBikesPlayPolo
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, I just spent sometime a few weeks ago in Pensacola and Jacksonville for a bit....despise both lol. Goodluck getting out, if I remember right 75 goes right thru ocala shld be able to hitch that north. Would advise staying as far south as possible for the winter though, for obvious cold reasons. Do u have a destination in mind or just wherever.?

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Cici Carmella

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, I just spent sometime a few weeks ago in Pensacola and Jacksonville for a bit....despise both lol. Goodluck getting out, if I remember right 75 goes right thru ocala shld be able to hitch that north. Would advise staying as far south as possible for the winter though, for obvious cold reasons. Do u have a destination in mind or just wherever.?
I'm going to have to do research on hitching how exactly is it done? walking from truck stop to truck stop? I'm hoping to end up in California I have some friends out there who may let me stay with them. I recently went through a breakup and I've kind of lost everything and I'm just looking for a new start. thank you for the replying and thank you for the advice 😊

croc

Reaction score
I'm going to have to do research on hitching how exactly is it done? walking from truck stop to truck stop?

I highly recommend against getting rides w truckers alone since you're feminine looking. It also seems like English might not be ur first language? Sorry if I'm wrong about that.
But keep ur guard up. Men are gonna be gross to u while u look like ur in a vulnerable position.
Do research and carry a weapon or two. Don't tell anyone where you're sleeping.
Have fun and enjoy the road! <3
Feel free to message me about anything I might be able to help with as well. Been at this for a year n a half now, often traveling solo.

salxtina

Reaction score
Florida is definitely a hard place to hitchhike out of, it's harder to get a ride there than anywhere else I've ever been.
If a craigslist ride or bus ticket will get you to Mobile or New Orleans, hitchhiking gets easier there in my experience. Standing at the beginning of onramps to the interstate is generally fine, walking further up the onramp can get the cops mad at you. The main thing is just patience, being ok with a lot of people passing you by, its ok, you only need one person to eventually pick you up.
IDK, in my experience truckers are on average the same as any other men, @croc is the idea that trucks are harder to escape from than cars in an emergency?
I tend to tell people I''m going shorter distances than I am, like the next big city a few hours away, because they think it's less "crazy" or something. (I've hitched across the whole country and it's totally fine, but those who haven't done it don't know.) If it makes you more comfortable, tell the driver you have to call your friend you're going to meet, call a 'buddy' and tell them your location, what make/model/plate car you just got into. Like a friendly update that lets drivers know someones keeping tabs on you and also knows who they are.
Ahead of time, if you can use data/wifi to see where 24-7 travel plazas are along your route, those will be watched, well-lit places to safely wait out a night, I've passed a number of nights by sitting in Waffle Houses or McDonalds if I wasn't comfortable camping outside.

croc

Reaction score
@salxtina
I've had truckers warn me that me hitching w other truckers alone is a bad idea bc of the ones who'll want something in return.
Stp has a regular flow of truckers making accounts looking to give rides specifically to women. That backs up what said truckers have told me.
As far as first hand experience goes, the time @Koala and I were hitching from needles, CA... The way the truckers passing were looking at us made me feel as bad as if they'd been physically groping me. Like we were fucking sex dolls. It was so dehumanizing.
Of course that can and has happened w nontruckers before but it was such a concentrated amount of them that it completely solidified my feelings.

I SUPER DUPER SECOND how salxtina mentioned letting someone know info on every car u get into and letting whoever is giving the ride know that u have a phone and people know where u are.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
Megabus has really cheap buses sometimes in and around Florida and Texas! And Flixbus in TX, NM, AZ, and CA. You may be able to get all the way to Cali on buses for something like $30 or $40 if you find the cheap ones. I really recommend that over hitchhiking, especially solo. And seconding what Croc and Salxtina have said.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads