Savannah, GA | Squat the Planet

Savannah, GA

J

Johnny P

To busk you need a permit...not sure how to obtain it. Panhandling is illegal. In fact There were signs everywhere that told people to call 911 if someone asked them for money.

It's a beautiful town though, open containers allowed but I think only on the riverfront, where the busking action would be good if you got that permit. Not sure if this is enforced or not.

Synth

Reaction score
You have to be a Georgia resident to get the permit. And it's enforced pretty heavily. You can drink throughout the historic district if I remember correctly. Just have to put it into a different container. It's an awesome town and there are house shows on occasion. Lots of college folk about and cheap pizza by the SCAD dorms. The riverfront is awesome for whiteboxing. Camped out and was housed up most of the.time I was there. Just hang out with some of the college kids and around the bars and you'll make friends. Or flirt with the SCAD girls and crash there dorms.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Fucking really cool place. I would get drunk and tag along on the back of ghost tours. They got this bars with like tunnels for pirates and bootleggers. The river walk is awsome but the cobble stones make it easy to stumble if your really drunk. Alot of history. As for a squatter POV... I was military so cant really help you there. Just across the river in SC is the Gold Club strip club, quite good.

Our briefing every weekend was..."If you get into a fight with an art student downtown, You better win!" Because alot of art students, alot of artsy people.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
sanannah is absolutely georgious.... this guy laid out the city back in the 17somethings to where downtown is in blocks... but every two or three blocks or so is a block sized park.... huge old oaks and cedars with spanish moss hanging off of them..... really cool looking city.... forget how many of these parks there are but it's an awesome town to just stroll around in.... lot's of OLD colonial houses and architecture..... ask around when you get there and you'll get turned on to some cool stuff......i can turn you on to a couple sleep spots there if your campin outside... but they ain't the best......crackheads runnin around and shit............i will give it to them....they were nice crackheads .

plagueship

Reaction score
thanks for the info everyone! i'm looking forward to it.
bryan, thanks for the thought, we have a house to stay at though.
synth, don't take it the wrong way but i gotta ask, do you think the permit law is enforced on everyone all the time or like, maybe more just on really crusty looking people during tourist season or whatever? no disrespect i'm just asking cause my buddy and i usually look fairly clean/normal-ish, and cause i'm looking at your avatar. cops can enforce these types of ordinances really differently if you look like a student or something vs looking you just rolled off a train/out of a bush/etc

Synth

Reaction score
Haha I'm usually not so crusty looking but yeah man I didn't busk there just hung out with a wide variety of people. On the Riverfront it is most definitely enforced. Maybe a little aways you won't get bugged as much but even then i've heard of officers harassing people about it. It's a really touristic town and as everyone says it gorgeous.

Synth

Reaction score
Haha I'm usually not so crusty looking but yeah man I didn't busk there just hung out with a wide variety of people. On the Riverfront it is most definitely enforced. Maybe a little aways you won't get bugged as much but even then i've heard of officers harassing people about it. It's a really touristic town and as everyone says it gorgeous.

urchin

Reaction score
It gets to the 30s and 20s at times so pack something for those occasions. Whatever you do DON'T GO SOUTH OF SAVANNAH (I'm about to post about. Little shit town near there and my issue with it). The closest there are two towns named Richmond Hill (my ride bypassed it so I have nothing to say about it) and Midway. The latter town is very unfriendly to travelers.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads