1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Santa Barbara, CA

Discussion in 'United States' started by aliceglassofficial, Jan 11, 2018.

1. aliceglassofficial

aliceglassofficial is getting to know the place

Address:
    Los Angeles, CA, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    I currently live in Santa Monica (as a homeless), and I'm thinking about relocating there. I have a couple questions:

> Where do the dirty kids hang out?
    > How hardass are the cops about sleeping on the beach, panhandling, etc.?
    > How much does a pack of Marlboros/Newports cost downtown?
    > Are there any homeless youth services? Similar to SPY in Venice or the Youth Center on Highland.
    > Anything else I should know?

2. meatcomputer

meatcomputer Appreciated Participator

Fabricator
    Address:
    Hatfield, MA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +69 / -0
    Seems like a lotta traveler types/dirty kids hang out on the main street "state street" close to the ocean,but that's most of what I know about santa barbara. Im currently staying there, but only for a little bit. It seems like plenty of people live out of there vehicles.

3. Sam Punter

Sam Punter Appreciated Participator

Address:
    Louisville, KY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -5
    I lived in a camper shell a few months in SB in the mid-seventies. Lower State Street then was like skid row with winoes and only businesses were liquor stores and thrift stores and a flop house or two. Amazing change I saw when checked it again in 2004. Looks like Disneyland now with all the media corporate related gift shops and boutiques. You could drive your car out onto the pier at the end of State Street and park.At that time it was the only stop light on the 101 for miles. So lots of hitchhikers congregated the catch rides there when traffic would be stopped. I would park in what was then the mostly Latino neighborhood where it wasn't too obvious I was in front of anyone's house. Only time I was rousted by the local cops was when I'd parked in the parking lot of a makeshift library (bungalow). The cop courteously knocked and asked for me to open up. He didn't make an issue of the odor of marijane (don't do that currently) and informed me there was no overnight parking there. Really a "protect and serve" kind of encounter. Things have probably changed. SB used to be the liberal of liberal communities. Now it's the rich of richest. I've heard all the city police, fire, etc. can't afford to live there. They drive in from Thousand Oaks or somewhere they can afford to live.

If you haven't already, I'd check out Ventura a few miles south of SB too. Lots of vagabonding types on Main street and a lot more areas suitable for hobo camps in out of the way places. But I suspect locals will be having the city clear them out in the wake of recent fires and deadly mudslides since homeless are suspected of causing fires (and sometimes do - especially immigrants because they aren't aware of the environment's flammability).

To add to the troubles, SB is probably going to be home of the next POTUS. And her home in Monteceto will become the "Western White House" and the area will be patrolled by Secret Service agents in black Suburbans taking anyone into custody that seems "out of place"

#3 Sam Punter, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. benton

benton One of the Regulars

Address:
    Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +46 / -1
    They have recently had wildfires in the area and Montecito to the east was just hit with mudslides and there could be more of them.

I would recommend waiting to see how that shakes out before going there.

SB has a good bus system. I prefer the Goleta area myself. Downtown is decent but I wouldn't recommend hanging out on State Street.

The library is good, most people are nice and/or ignore you completely. Spanging is tough ime.

5. benton

benton One of the Regulars

Address:
    Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +46 / -1
    Also, the 101 is closed at present as a result of the mudslides

6. Gaucho Deluxe

Gaucho Deluxe Can't get enough of the site

Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +1,049 / -33
    I hate the fuck out of Santa Barbara.
    edit: that is all.

7. Sam Punter

Sam Punter Appreciated Participator

Address:
    Louisville, KY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +37 / -5
    It didn't always used to be the way you hat it. After the Vietnam war ended, then the cold war started coming to an end, the Military Industrial Complex found their sources of income and young men willing to sacrafice their lives for them (in the mistaken beliefe of "dying for their country"), and the mass homelessness, fame camp stories, right-wing vigilante militias rose up to end the Woodstock Generation's plans for a sustainable future. Reagan was elected and bought a ranch in the prime location over Santa Barbara. The fires of the cold war were rekindled with Reagan;s "Star Wars" program and him infamously saying at a news conference "the missiles are flying" - almost setting off a response from Soviet Russia (Reagan's "Evil Empire")

Reagan and the Republican oligarchy had laid their claim to Santa Barbara and it's environs and the counter-culture was ruthlessly smothered and driven out by gentrification, catering to tourism and the real estate mafia.