safer quarter fucktards

Venatus

Reaction score
Will they thin out eventually? Yeah, but only because they're dying out (drugs, liver failure), not because they're smartening up.

What we need to do as a community is educate the new kids about how that isn't cool so their ranks will stop getting replaced.
The challenge with that is conveying that message to the majority of people out there. We ought to make common guidelines for people to follow, something that would remind them what not to do. Not all of them are as ignorant as the folks in new orleans, but wow im inexperienced and even i know better than to sleep out in the open and take shits on churches. i want to know what compels them to be so idiotic...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The challenge with that is conveying that message to the majority of people out there. We ought to make common guidelines for people to follow, something that would remind them what not to do. Not all of them are as ignorant as the folks in new orleans, but wow im inexperienced and even i know better than to sleep out in the open and take shits on churches. i want to know what compels them to be so idiotic...

Apathy.

When you cease to care about anything besides yourself is when you start to slide down this steep slope. Also, part of it is being a spoiled middle class white kid that despite living on the streets (voluntarily) has never really seen true hardship. The kind of stuff that happens in 3rd world countries. Its a byproduct of a country that is so prosperous that its not only very hard to starve, but it let's people get away with being a total spoiled asshole, with virtually no consequences.

Venatus

Reaction score
According to a technicality i had a chance to be a spoiled middle class white kid, i have always had the chance to be like them, but i never wanted to waste my life on pointless drug laden monotony, nor do i intend to. im to this day unsure of why i am different, but honestly im glad i am. I guess i just wish they could wise up rather than die out

Dmac

Reaction score
this is starting to sound like the crap that the FTRA used to spout, "we're better, know more and you newbies should do things our way". for supposed anarchists, there sure seems to be lots of rules and judgement. just sayin'.

Art101

Reaction score
Just sayin if someone is stupid enough to show their ass in public constantly and blow up squats and catch outs then maybe their learning curves needs to be improved.

Reactions: Matt Derrick
J

Johnny P

Whatever happened to the old Hobo Code?

copied from another thread

An ethical code was created by Tourist Union #63 during its 1889 National Hobo Convention in St. Louis Missouri. This code was voted upon as a concrete set of laws to govern the Nation-wide Hobo Body; it reads this way:

1. Decide your own life, don't let another person run or rule you.
  2. When in town, always respect the local law and officials, and try to be a gentleman at all times.
  3. Don't take advantage of someone who is in a vulnerable situation, locals or other hobos.
  4. Always try to find work, even if temporary, and always seek out jobs nobody wants. By doing so you not only help a business along, but ensure employment should you return to that town again.
  5. When no employment is available, make your own work by using your added talents at crafts.
  6. Do not allow yourself to become a stupid drunk and set a bad example for locals' treatment of other hobos.
  7. When jungling in town, respect handouts, do not wear them out, another hobo will be coming along who will need them as bad, if not worse than you.
  8. Always respect nature, do not leave garbage where you are jungling.
  9. If in a community jungle, always pitch in and help.
  10. Try to stay clean, and boil up wherever possible.
  11. When traveling, ride your train respectfully, take no personal chances, cause no problems with the operating crew or host railroad, act like an extra crew member.
  12. Do not cause problems in a train yard, another hobo will be coming along who will need passage through that yard.
  13. Do not allow other hobos to molest children, expose all molesters to authorities, they are the worst garbage to infest any society.
  14. Help all runaway children, and try to induce them to return home.
  15. Help your fellow hobos whenever and wherever needed, you may need their help someday.
  16. If present at a hobo court and you have testimony, give it. Whether for or against the accused, your voice counts!

https://squattheplanet.com/train-hopping/threads/a-little-hobo-history-hobo-ethical-code.5483/

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
this is starting to sound like the crap that the FTRA used to spout, "we're better, know more and you newbies should do things our way". for supposed anarchists, there sure seems to be lots of rules and judgement. just sayin'.

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to hold people to a higher moral standard. We're not 'telling people what to do' because, frankly, we're not asking for that much. Just don't be such a selfish fuck, and stop pooping everywhere; and have some fucking self respect.

Also, I'm getting really tired of the assumption that anarchists don't have any rules. Anarchism means living without rulers, not living in utter chaos.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Whatever happened to the old Hobo Code?

copied from another thread

An ethical code was created by Tourist Union #63 during its 1889 National Hobo Convention in St. Louis Missouri. This code was voted upon as a concrete set of laws to govern the Nation-wide Hobo Body; it reads this way:

1. Decide your own life, don't let another person run or rule you.
  2. When in town, always respect the local law and officials, and try to be a gentleman at all times.
  3. Don't take advantage of someone who is in a vulnerable situation, locals or other hobos.
  4. Always try to find work, even if temporary, and always seek out jobs nobody wants. By doing so you not only help a business along, but ensure employment should you return to that town again.
  5. When no employment is available, make your own work by using your added talents at crafts.
  6. Do not allow yourself to become a stupid drunk and set a bad example for locals' treatment of other hobos.
  7. When jungling in town, respect handouts, do not wear them out, another hobo will be coming along who will need them as bad, if not worse than you.
  8. Always respect nature, do not leave garbage where you are jungling.
  9. If in a community jungle, always pitch in and help.
  10. Try to stay clean, and boil up wherever possible.
  11. When traveling, ride your train respectfully, take no personal chances, cause no problems with the operating crew or host railroad, act like an extra crew member.
  12. Do not cause problems in a train yard, another hobo will be coming along who will need passage through that yard.
  13. Do not allow other hobos to molest children, expose all molesters to authorities, they are the worst garbage to infest any society.
  14. Help all runaway children, and try to induce them to return home.
  15. Help your fellow hobos whenever and wherever needed, you may need their help someday.
  16. If present at a hobo court and you have testimony, give it. Whether for or against the accused, your voice counts!

https://squattheplanet.com/train-hopping/threads/a-little-hobo-history-hobo-ethical-code.5483/

That's a good code, but could use some updating for more modern times (i.e. the cop thing) although the being a gentleman statement is kinda cool.

J

Johnny P

I agree it is a bit outdated. What if I don't want to work? Some runaways need to run the fuck away! Some laws NEED to be broken, like Trespassing. When's the last time any of you have seen or participated in a Hobo Court?

While I hate cops just as much as the rest of you I'm sure, it is easier for me as a tramp to be as respectful to the Police in any jurisdiction I am passing through. If a cop does approach and want to talk, it works out way better if you are friendly, polite, and respectful. They usually just want to run your name and see if you have warrants, and will let you go. It sucks. But I'd rather just "do the dance" and get it over with and be on my way. Yes, they can sure be the biggest fuckin asshole robots ever, but if you are a respectful Tramp or Hobo just "passin' through" a lot of times they won't give a fuck what you do as long as you are warrant free and they don't see you a week later flying a sign in the same spot. It seems like the only time I get messed with by the police is when I am panhandling or hitchhiking, so I always try to be courteous and respectful so I can be on my way. It sucks when I go through a place and I have half dozen people and two police officers and a security guard all ask me If I was part of that "Train Gang" that was here last summer? And, "Do you know HorseShit?" (True Story)

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
While I hate cops just as much as the rest of you I'm sure, it is easier for me as a tramp to be as respectful to the Police in any jurisdiction I am passing through. If a cop does approach and want to talk, it works out way better if you are friendly, polite, and respectful. They usually just want to run your name and see if you have warrants, and will let you go. It sucks. But I'd rather just "do the dance" and get it over with and be on my way

I'm definitely not arguing against that. You're totally right, I generally do the dance, but I can't find it in my heart to summon up any kind of respect for law enforcement.

J

Johnny P

I'm definitely not arguing against that. You're totally right, I generally do the dance, but I can't find it in my heart to summon up any kind of respect for law enforcement.

Yes, As a group I hate them all. But when dealing with them on a one on one basis I show them respect. It is totally a farce because in my mind I am having other thoughts. Different situations with police require different action.

Ever been to a tiny ass place where there are only two or three cops? Those are usually some damn fine humans if you ask me, but then things are different in rural areas as opposed to larger settlements and cities.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads