Sacks, rucks, packs, pickles, knapsacks, haversacks, bags, bergens.

Lee

Reaction score
Hey guys. Well, I'm in England and looking at heading of (To London, to find a squat) in the next month and a half, depending on funds. I've got almost all the stuff I need. Everything apart from a pack.

What I shall be packing, not including what I will be wearing, is (Keep in mind, I'm 6 foot, 59kg and very sensitive to the cold)
CLOTHES:
1 pair - Thick jeans OR wool trousers
2 pairs - Thick boot socks
3 pairs - Thin, long socks, cotton
3 pairs - Underpants
1 - thick jumper
1 - Beanie
1 - Thermal shirt
2 - Normal T-shirts

TOILETRIES:
1 - Toothbrush
1 - Toothpaste
1 - Bar of soap
1 - Small wash cloth/flannel
1 - Small bunch of cotton buds/ear washer things
1 - Small towel

PERSONAL EFFECTS:
1 - Small notepad
3 - Pencil and pens
1 - Hiking knife
1 - Book (Big, paperback, 600 pages)
1 - Water bottle, 1 litre
1 - Small blanket

MEDS:
1 - Box pain killers
1 - Box plasters

Now, I think that's all I'll be taking. I'm used to hiking, camping, packing bags, but I can never guess If I've enough or too much, what do you guys think?

Anyway, that isn't my question. My question is:

What's a rugged, cheap, bare-minimum pack I can get, in England, that can take this? I'd like something In canvas, and something that either has, or can have sown on to it, a hip belt/strap.
I need something with a low(er) profile, nothing like an ALICE with big-ass bits hanging everywhere, I just want something solid, simple, cheap.

Thanks guys.

Also, if you can tell me any bits of kit I can get rid of, please do, thanks. I wont be doing loads of travelling, so I don't need food and lots of water and all that.

Cheers!

urbanflow

Reaction score
condor makes a SWEET backpack that i use.

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/147_urban_go_pack.aspx

id invest in a rugged wool blanket but, i love me some wool. i guess if you're not traveling all that much you wont need incredibly durable items but, damn wool blankets are so useful.

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Are you going to have a sleeping bag? I prefer them over wool blankets coz you can wash and dry them easier. Personal choice though I guess.

Army surplus shops are often pretty cheap for bags of all shapes and sizes. I actually got a sweet backpack in tkmaxx of all places. Should have been £60 and I got it for £12. Might be worth a look if they have one anywhere near you.

Lee

Reaction score
Also, maybe a waterproof jacket or coat. It is England after all...

Yeah, sorry forgot about the sleeping bag. So yeah, synthetic sleeping bag and small blanket.
I've got a rain coat and other clothes, I was just listing what would be in the bag, I wear my coat everywhere, no matter the weather, as it is, so that would be on my body almost all the time.

Cheers.

Reactions: landpirate

Lee

Reaction score
condor makes a SWEET backpack that i use.

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/147_urban_go_pack.aspx

id invest in a rugged wool blanket but, i love me some wool. i guess if you're not traveling all that much you wont need incredibly durable items but, damn wool blankets are so useful.
Cheers man, I'll give it a look, as the link you gave me doesn't give a price.

I've found a pretty decent looking canvas pack, basically a smaller navy sea pack, looks quite durable and cheap. Yeah, I'll probably pick up a surplus blanket in a surplus store the day I leave.

Cheers man.

urbanflow

Reaction score
id be careful of surplus blankets. unless you can find one thats 100% wool. if you get a canvas pack make sure its waxed or to wax it yourself.

the pack i posted is like 60 bucks, no idea what that is in pounds. its pretty sweet, i can live out of it quite comfortably with a bedroll strapped to the bottom.

Lee

Reaction score
id be careful of surplus blankets. unless you can find one thats 100% wool. if you get a canvas pack make sure its waxed or to wax it yourself.

the pack i posted is like 60 bucks, no idea what that is in pounds. its pretty sweet, i can live out of it quite comfortably with a bedroll strapped to the bottom.

Ok, I know some surplus blankets are 100% wool, but most are a blend, like you said.

Yeah, I was wondering if I could wax it.

Oh, ok, cheaper than I thought. That's around 30 pounds, cheers man, I'll give it a look.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads