Road emotions

Status
Not open for further replies.

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
That's a bit of a huge assumption. I'd be more likely to swing it the other way, if anything - saying people that always need someone with them are the insecure ones (which I know isn't true).

I've met a fine lot of people who travel alone and they seemed exceptionally confident. They knew that you could put them in any situation and that they could manage themselves just fine.
They knew they could find company when and where they wanted it.

Then again -- you did say "trying to be alone all the time" which might just be alluding to hermits...

I know you said "please stop posting replies to my comments" all polite - but boards tend to encourage conversation. Don't know I've seen someone write their opinion (controversial at that) and then ask folks not to reply...

Really?

A lot of people want to settle down in general. I'm just basing my statement off the majority of women "I know" wanting the house, white picket fence and a family. The uncreative, boring typical lifestyle most ppl live. Each person is different. We could look at it on a more scientific level, but I'd rather not get into that because everyone is different.

As for what Road Dogg said I say congrats for getting back together, but I would strongly disagree. Depending on someone else is a sign of insecurity. True happiness can be found without human relation. Overcoming fear of loneliness would be a sign of security. If it didn't work the first time usually doesn't anytime after that unless you fix what made it broken in the first place.

R

Roosterruler

A lot of people want to settle down in general. I'm just basing my statement off the majority of women "I know" wanting the house, white picket fence and a family. The uncreative, boring typical lifestyle most ppl live. Each person is different. We could look at it on a more scientific level, but I'd rather not get into that because everyone is different.

As for what Road Dogg said I say congrats for getting back together, but I would strongly disagree. Depending on someone else is a sign of insecurity. True happiness can be found without human relation. Overcoming fear of loneliness would be a sign of security. If it didn't work the first time usually doesn't anytime after that unless you fix what made it broken in the first place.

I was just about to come back edit my post to say that, yes, most women do want to settle. And most men seem to as well.
So we're on the same page for that.

I also some people living crazy creative lives behind the bars of their picket fenced home. With the security of a roof, I see them creating beautiful wonders and who also fuel the world on love. They're the kind of folks that have taken me in as I've wandered around and I'm grateful to them for it. They're the moms that pick me up off the side of the road in the highlands of Scotland and invite me to stay in their garden shed as they feed me and show me around. They're the Microsoft employees who make sure my thermos is always full of tea.

This wasn't to counter what you said. As you acknowledged, everyone is different.

Overcoming fear of loneliness would be a sign of security.

With this I agree. I've always been cautious to know that I learned that I could live/make it on my own without clinging to another human for security or depend on them for constant positive affirmation and value. Oi. Did that sentence make sense?

Since I was pretty short (junior high short), I chose to go through life solo as to not limit myself. I wanted to learn to operate without relying on someone else exclusively in a partnership.

Once, I experimented with a partnership (2.5 months). The lessons learned from that aren't worth the emotional disturbance and wasted time spent mentally processing through it all.

I do disagree with this sentence though:

True happiness can be found without human relation.

I've never, ever met anyone who can do this (achieve true happiness without having any humans around to relate to). Even Thoreau tottered back to society after preaching about solitude. I do find a value in solitude and find it beneficial and a healthy place to roll around in. However, it's not at all sustainable in a longer time frame.

At some point, after a few weeks/months/whatnot, you need other humans. We need other humans.

Most folks I know of who can last for a long time without human contact generally have some sort of chemical imbalance in their brain or some sort of mental illness to accompany it. I'm not saying there are not exceptions -- but few that I've witnessed or heard of. If you take anyone you knew and cut off their human contact, they wouldn't last long 'cept for sake of survival. I doubt few would find happiness in that situation.

Most folks who go out into the woods on their own have a purpose to keep them occupied, but most of them always come back in the end.

Sorry if I didn't clearly articulate my thoughts...

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
I was just about to come back edit my post to say that, yes, most women do want to settle. And most men seem to as well.
So we're on the same page for that.

I also some people living crazy creative lives behind the bars of their picket fenced home. With the security of a roof, I see them creating beautiful wonders and who also fuel the world on love. They're the kind of folks that have taken me in as I've wandered around and I'm grateful to them for it. They're the moms that pick me up off the side of the road in the highlands of Scotland and invite me to stay in their garden shed as they feed me and show me around. They're the Microsoft employees who make sure my thermos is always full of tea.

This wasn't to counter what you said. As you acknowledged, everyone is different.

With this I agree. I've always been cautious to know that I learned that I could live/make it on my own without clinging to another human for security or depend on them for constant positive affirmation and value. Oi. Did that sentence make sense?

Since I was pretty short (junior high short), I chose to go through life solo as to not limit myself. I wanted to learn to operate without relying on someone else exclusively in a partnership.

Once, I experimented with a partnership (2.5 months). The lessons learned from that aren't worth the emotional disturbance and wasted time spent mentally processing through it all.

I do disagree with this sentence though:

I've never, ever met anyone who can do this (achieve true happiness without having any humans around to relate to). Even Thoreau tottered back to society after preaching about solitude. I do find a value in solitude and find it beneficial and a healthy place to roll around in. However, it's not at all sustainable in a longer time frame.

At some point, after a few weeks/months/whatnot, you need other humans. We need other humans.

Most folks I know of who can last for a long time without human contact generally have some sort of chemical imbalance in their brain or some sort of mental illness to accompany it. I'm not saying there are not exceptions -- but few that I've witnessed or heard of. If you take anyone you knew and cut off their human contact, they wouldn't last long 'cept for sake of survival. I doubt few would find happiness in that situation.

Most folks who go out into the woods on their own have a purpose to keep them occupied, but most of them always come back in the end.

Sorry if I didn't clearly articulate my thoughts...

I agree with you there have been a few kind souls who have taken me in as well. I just don't see the point in paying a mortgage off your whole life so you get to an old age where you can retire, barely move and maybe go on some cruises and drink martinis before you roll over in your grave.

As for only 2.5 months you may need to experiment a little longer. I've been in a few relationships for about a year, but yeah I agree. Love comes and goes. People are naturally attracted to more than one person. At least I am anyway. Sure I still keep in touch with women I cared about in my life, but I got over the whole attachment, loneliness fear that held me back from a lot of experiences.

As for human relation I never finished the word. I meant relationships. I'm more content with just meeting people and moving on especially if ending on a good note. There's always new people and new days ahead. If they are really cool and fun to be around then I'll continue to hang with them, but for the most part my happiness over the last several months is from traveling. Human contact is definitely necessary, but only to maintain sanity. I just meant needing to physically "be" with someone doesn't define true happiness.

I see so many friends latch on to relationships just because they don't want to be single or just because of pussy. I think that's fucked up. Be a man...end it...find a chick at the bar and have a one night stand or casually date someone.

I believe in temporary love. Where you experience moments in your life where "man this is an awesome feeling I don't want it to end" and for those moments, a few months, years, etc. You shared great times with someone and then it didn't work out. Most likely selfishness, but I've learned to follow what I want to do regardless of someone else in my life. Friends, girlfriends, family, etc.

This turned into a whole different rant haha. But I'll end it there. I think we're both on the same page for the most part. I just meant you can find love through things other than people. Though if I learned enough survival skills I would like to test my mental capacity to see how I'd do in the wild without human contact, but that's just me.

Road Dogg

Reaction score
I'm his wife and I don't want to settle down I want to hit the road I haven't been anywhere but la because I've had a very secluded lifestyle and this may be his account but this is also my phone and he said I could be his account now i would appreciate if you stop harassing him. :cool:

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
I'm his wife and I don't want to settle down I want to hit the road I haven't been anywhere but la because I've had a very secluded lifestyle and this may be his account but this is also my phone and he said I could be his account now i would appreciate if you stop harassing him. :cool:

If you can't handle a response then don't post the thread, which isn't meant for just him but everyone on the board who experiences road emotions. This is America and I'm free to do what I want. I'm not harrassing him just stating an opinion. The fact is it's insecurity.

Good luck to both of you, but this is the internet and my opinion shouldn't affect either of your choices. Hit the road with him you won't regret it.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
personally i don't think anyone is harassing him at this point. but i'm going to close this thread anyways since i'm tired of hearing about it.

Reactions: Kadidlehopper
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads