Road Bike vs. ....

katros

Reaction score
I'm wondering if traveling with a road bike is entirely necessary or if I can just use this Mountain bike in my Mum's garage to get me as far as I can go... and then, how far do you think that'd be? Thanks
<3

wartomods

Reaction score
most long distance touring machines are mtbs, 26 wheels are sturdier, you though should do slight modification to make it tourable, like slim tyres and probably put in some bar ends and rack, . front suspension is ok, but a fork is , lighter, better on road, less maintenence.
site1059.JPG

jonom

Reaction score
if it's a real cheap mtn bike then you might want to reconsider. i've seen handlebars and pedals snap right off a cheapo before.

cyclo-cross bikes are good for touring.

genghis braun

Reaction score
you should get a decent road bike. a mountain bike isn't really built for going long distances, and trying to tour with one will only end up being a huge pain in the ass.

wartomods

Reaction score
it depends on what you consider a road biking, if you are thinking of those ones used on tour de france, i would much rather go on the road with a 50 euros rigid frame and fork cheap bike and change parts along the way. Most true touring bikes (surly long haul, etc) have more a mtb cross country kind of components and specifications.

RoboIsGod

Reaction score
yeah your going to want a more 'touring' style bike, which is a road looking bike (skinnier tires, drop bars etc.) but puts the rider in a more 'relaxed' riding position as opposed to a racing position. also, touring bikes are made to accommodate racks, bags and more water bottles. basically they are made to carry more stuff and go longer distances. (more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touring_bike). that mountain bike, and 90% of the mountain bikes you see these days are heavy, mass produced junk and most likely will leave you at more of a disadvantage. stay away from em.

honestly, i'd say the best thing to do is sit on craigslist for a few days looking for a good deal on an older road bike (aka '10 speed road bikes'). these usually have a more relaxed riding position similar to touring bikes and can accommodate racks. as a general rule, stay away from Schwinn's because there's a lot of lower end models (especially the Schwinn Varsity). also, a few things to stay away from that you can e-mail sellers ahead of time about: one piece cranks, cottered cranks, stem mounted shifters and bikes that are made of hi-tensile steel (aka gas pipe). bikes with this type of stuff are generally low end and will definitely give you more trouble than they're worth.

be patient, you should be able to find a good deal. in my experience, a lot of bigger local bike stores will take a look at old bikes and just tell ya 'i'll sell ya something way better than that junk'. don't listen to them! at the same time tho, you want to be careful and not dump a tun of money into an older bike.
a few basic things you should definitely replace tho: tires/tubes, cables, handlebar tape. if the bike is somewhat beat and looks like it needs a tune as well as the stuff i just listed, don't take it to a shop. they will over charge you. there's a lot of bike enthusiasts that just love to work on bikes. post something on craigslist about needing a tune up etc., and i'm sure some ol' nerdy bike dude will be willing to fix yer ride up for cheap. tell them your looking to do some touring/long distant riding, and i'm sure they'd help ya out.

good luck!

wartomods

Reaction score
basicly what you need on a touring bike is a confortable rigid frame and fork aluminium or cromoly. Some people use drop bars, but they either have humungoes stem rise or are doing sport touring, so the best bars for touring are mustache bars, bullhorn bars, or normal straight bars with barends, you will want good wheels with at least 36 spokes to support the cargo, a seat that you like, the racks and pannier bags, a rear view mirror is a bless, and the other components should be chosen cattering resistance.

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
What kind of roads will you be riding on? Where would you be headed? Around town, no more than 15 miles would be good for a mountain bike, but more than that would not be fun.

Most true touring bikes (surly long haul, etc) have more a mtb cross country kind of components and specifications.

I am thinking of getting the Surly Long Haul Trucker, do you have any experience with it?

pumpjack

Reaction score
i have a friend that has a long haul trucker and has gone on several long (cross country) distance trips. its a bike that was meant to be specifically used for touring and he swears by it. i cant personally speak for it but have only heard great things. kinda pricey though.

coldsteelrail

Reaction score
Most long distance tour bikes are not mountain bikes! Though I admit it does have to depend on what you're going to be riding on. If you're doing a trip on mountains, yeah...but otherwise most people will ride predominately on the paved roads, and mountain bikes are really super slow on roads, and will tire you out like nothing. Have you ever ridden a road bike up a paved hill? The road bike will lean into that hill and practically pull you up. A mountain bike on a paved hill will have you cursing while you are pumping your legs in squares, crawling up that hill. You want something that can carry a rack (carrying a backpack will wear you out), drop handle bars so that you can change arm positions, if you want knobby tires instead of slicks, so you can off road, and preferrably three chain rings, but at least two so you can get into a good granny gear for those hills. There are always a lot of hills, even when it's flat. You do not need anything expensive, but you do need to know how to change your flat on the road, and adjust your breaks, minimum. Try it with the mtn bike though, if you have nothing else. A lot of people do ride long distances with them and love them. Remember to pedal in circles, not in squares. And as far as how long you can go, that's up to you. Usually about 60 miles or more a day. Make sure your knee is in line with your heel, when you've got your leg extended on the pedal. Any angles will hurt your knees. Also make sure that when your leg is extended, it's neither over extended, nor under extended, b/c that will either strain your leg, or shorten your stroke.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads