Riot stick

Mongo

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about one of these riot sticks

http://thisisindecline.com/rack/category/all/the-riot-stick

Looks like it would be a good alternative to a mag light added that it's collapsible and menacing looking.

What are othe peoples thoughts? Is there anything that could get you in trouble with the law? Except for maybe the glass breaker but it's not like i would tell police what it was.

K

Kim Chee

I would think most cops would know that knob was a glass breaker.

The glass breaker wouldn't get you in trouble.

The fact that it is basically a collapsible baton would identify it as a weapon and that might cause a problem.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
if it was just a shade shorter you could possibly explain it off as just a flashlight. in it's current form though i think it looks too much like a baton even when collapsed.

Eyegor

Reaction score
Bad idea in many ways, IMO.
1) it's called Riot Stick. That identifies it as a weapon.
2) As mentioned, many cops will see it as a collapsible baton.
3) Between the glass breaker, crenellations, and overall construction and appearance, there is no way to pass this off as an innocuous tool.

A far better option is to carry innocent "tools" that happen to work well for SD. Hell, I always carry a knife, usually more than one. But they are usually folders, often one handed, often have others tools (think SAK), and are NEVER tactical looking or brandished. They are for camping, cooking, opening cans, etc.

Whatever you decide to carry/use for SD, don't ever threaten anyone with it. That can make even a pencil a "deadly instrument" . Instead grab your tool only to actually defend yourself physically. Far more likely that "I was in fear, and used whatever I grabbed" will work as a possible defense under those circumstances.
Good luck and be smart.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads