Right, so I'm new.

maemovesmadlyon

Reaction score
Hiya.

Name's Mae. I'm 17 and I've been fascinated by the wanderer's lifestyle for quite awhile now. I would travel myself if I were a little older, had the funds, and knew how to navigate the rail system. I stumbled across this forum out of pure luck, and I'm hoping to acquire the knowledge to help me become more confident in myself in order to survive out on the road with the help of this awesome site.

Anything else can be found on my profile, I suppose.
Thanks. :]

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Welcome!Check the forums closely,there is more real advice and good info here than you could find anywhere else,and its pretty enjoyable too.
be safe!And get out of Omaha when you can!

maemovesmadlyon

Reaction score
I severely lack any appropriate backpacking gear that would probably be useful while out travelling. It's on my list of things to save money for. Also on the list is a netbook and a cheap camera. That's what I mean by funds, lol. :p

LarZ

Reaction score
One resource you will hopefully come across are multiple tutorials on shoplifting, a process that may become critical at times.

Wait until REI has one of those member-only used gear sales and use the chaos to your advantage. I walked out the other day with a brand new frame pack and 10o sleeping bag. Another time my dad and I got 2 snowboards, bindings, and boots. If you act casual, look clean, holding a receipt helps. If they say anything ignore them and keep going, run if you have to.

Moral of the story: open your mind and don't let anyone/thing hold you back. Especially the capitalist system that we are all forced into at birth in this sad sad country.

christianarchy

Reaction score
You'll also find cheap/free ways to get/make supplies without shoplifting, just so you know. Not trying to get into the ethics of lifting here, just thought that should be said.
Welcome. Also, a netbook is not necessary. I don't really know what it is, but you probably don't need it. Cameras are good though.

maemovesmadlyon

Reaction score
I'm a writer. Paper notebooks bog me down and I'm always connected to this laptop I've rented from my school to write/blog/lay out zines, etc. Perhaps you're right, though. I bet I could seriously benefit from disconnecting from this piece of crap for longer than a weekend.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I severely lack any appropriate backpacking gear that would probably be useful while out travelling. It's on my list of things to save money for. Also on the list is a netbook and a cheap camera. That's what I mean by funds, lol. :p

Well, you could get a job. I worked for the last six months and bought a lot of gear (I could have gotten it quicker, but I wound up spending money on superfluous things, haha).

maemovesmadlyon

Reaction score
The thing is, is I have a job. But 90% of my paycheck goes toward paying bills every month, and the remaining 10% on food and necessary shit like new socks and bus fares. I'm thinking I just need to stop bitching, start saving, and get some gear. Good plan, lol.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads