Regrets?

Kilee

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm 19 and I have just realized that this society is not one that I want to be a part of. The idea of just living by the day on the road or in nature and making relationships along the way is what I am called to do in this life. Of course just leaving and embarking on my own has its pros and cons. I was wondering how you guys got started on your own personal journeys and if you have ever looked back and wished you had taken a different route?

Thanks and good vibes your way
Ki

cport420

Reaction score
Welcome welcome. No regrets on anything really. A lot less stressful and more enjoyable even just wild camping beside a lake and enjoying life. No worries.

Reactions: notlateforsuppa

Fishkiss

Reaction score
You can always stop traveling if you find a place you like.stay make a home and pick up and leave again..for me I just keep things simple,and am very self sufficient.someday your parents won't be there and you will embark on your own.its up to each person how they want to spend that time.nothing lasts forever.

MFB

Reaction score
Hmmm...regrets...

While I don't think anybody who gives up a more 'mainstream' lifestyle to travel will tell you they regret it, it's the daily decisons that get at me. Someday days it's every decison I make is spot on, where to sleep, where to get food, how to get there, etc. Everything works out perfectly and the stars align.

Other days it seems every decison I make is wrong and makes my day harder. Only small regrets, but nonetheless...Sometimes I'll make a decison to travel hundreds of miles on a whim, because a band is playing in a city, or because I haven't seen a friend in forever, and that trip turns into a disaster, takes for ever to get there, I end up in a place that Im sure Im gonna get rolled for my pack and I don't accomplish what I set out to when I get there.
Those are the decisons that I regret; the ones within the lifestyle...not the lifestyle itself.

I always ask people I meet what they like least about travelling. They'll say "being dirty, being scared, being broke, sleeping 4 hours a night, etc..."
Ill ask the same people what they like most about travelling and it's "being dirty, being scared, being broke, sleeping 4 hours a night, etc..."

Regrets or not, we're all just doing what we are suppose to be doing. :D

Kamil

Reaction score
sumtimes the whole parent culture bourgeois brain programming can get to you, I just havea fear of being burdonsome and/or worrysome to those friends/fam that live what youd call a "normal" or sedentary lifestyle, but thats just me overthinking things. MFBs post took the words right outta my mouth. I seem to have petty regrets like wishing id bought wine instead of 4loko when i only had 5 bucks to spend on booze. Just do ur best to be prepared and use discretion with who you trust. sumtimes there are ppl u meet and hav an instantaneous bond with tho and u can feel it in yer bones

Reactions: notlateforsuppa

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
I usually only regret it when I look back...as long as I am looking forward and living for today life is good. And honestly there is nothing I can change with regret anyway so I mostly don't bother.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
started out traveling when i was in a rut. given how things could have turned out and how they did, i think i did pretty well. its easy to look back and think of all the things I could've done better or said differently. Personally I try not to get caught up in nostalgia.

drinkwindexx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I quit the best job I ever had working as a surgical tech. I had the itch to travel so badly I couldn't stand another minute of it. I sold all of my things and barely had enough to pay off my debts; left with 38$, scared out of my wits.

Traveling sucks. It's hard some days. Sometimes you burn all day under the sun and nearly freeze to death at night. But it's allowed me to travel state to state, picking up pieces of myself, and I can hardly imagine doing anything else. I have no regrets and I don't spend much time nostalgic.

Reactions: Odin and Kamil

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I started in 2001, and I'd do it all over again gladly. My only problem now is that I sometimes struggle with the desire to settle down and do something different or keep going down that road I've been on for so long now.

Reactions: Odin and MFB
B

Benny

I've traveled around the world in the Navy and all over the United States with a backpack and i don't regret it one bit. I've had highs and lows that have made me a stronger person that i wouldn't have got working a stupid job and sitting at home for twenty years.

What i do regret is the way that i have treated people over the years. Being young,drunk and cocky has a lot to do with that. I've burned some bridges over the years that i wished i hadn't. If someone doesn't agree with you.....so what.....at least if you know they are good people, they won't steal your pack. Let your ego go and realize that all we have is the like minded people around us and the the rest of society sucks.

“Don’t ask what the world needs, ask what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ~Howard Thurman

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
live in the now, man . . . !!

eske silver

In Disguise
Reaction score
Here's this:

I've been vandwelling, squatting, couch-surfing, traveling, meandering, migrating, what-have-you since I was about 16, if you don't count the years where I lived at home alone or at friends houses, while I tried to give a shit about highschool.

Unreliable, incompetent, immature, manipulative, selfish, abusive people are everywhere;
bosses, landlords, family, roommates, partners, coworkers, blah blah blah.
I got bored - and sick of it.
So I left.
It wasn't easy, that's for fuckall sure.
I've been in some shitty situations while out in big scary world, mang.
I've crossed paths with some fairly shitty people and even the occasional vicious psycho animal. I've slept out in the pouring rain and mud for days. I've had my pack stolen by sociopaths. I've been stranded alone in the middle of knee-fuck-nowhere. I've had to endure days-long hunger. I've gotten injured and seriously sick from all sorts of nasty shit on the road and in squats, barns, coops, communes and more...

But "Regrets", you ask?

Fuck the fuck no.

I've met so many amazing people who shared with me their stories, art, music, food, homes, expertise, time, tools, and dreams. I saw life through their eyes and found endless differences, but also similarities. I learned from them and in trade taught them what I could. I now have close friends and formed-family scattered all over the states, that otherwise might never have even known of each others existence.

I've seen Amazing places. & lame ones. & places in between...
It's always funny finding bits and pieces of one town in another. & Getting to know all of the different communities and what they're growing and accomplishing is always an adventure. It always recharges and inspires me. Being accepted into the 'homes' of so many different types of people with each of their goals, plans, ideas, dreams and projects that all have to do with changing the world; somehow, even if just a little bit.

I seen a lot and I've learned a lot. I've become a far more knowledgeable, passionate, conscientious, attentive, strong, tolerant, patient person while on the road. I've been taking online college classes through Peralta for years, slowly but surely working a degree, but I swear... The Vast Majority of my brain is filled with skills I learned on the road. Interpersonal, social, tactical, navigational, McGyverical... all from the experiences and people I've been exposed to. Nowhere else.

A lot of travelers I've met feel the same way. They wouldnt give this shit up for anything less than nine cartons of Lucky Strikes and a hottub full of Ancient.
I mean, Yea it's hard and sometimes you feel like shit and everything goes wrong.
I could go on and on but the point is really just this...

Only those who are either unwilling or incapable of learning from their experiences,
end up regretting those knowledge-rich places, people, choices and "mistakes".

But don't quote me boy...

"I'm awake on seven hours sleep in the three days before this one
but including this one, also."

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads