Random Wandering

Menyun

Reaction score
Alright so I am currently in OK and I'm new to the site as well as the lifestyles most of you live. However, I'm planning on heading out by the end of the week... with very little to no money and just enough crap to get by. My question is with so little how do you get food... Do I need to go all primitive and set up traps and hunt (which I do have experience in) or is their a easier way maybe a decent way to make a few bucks while im on the road or whatever. I'll more or less just be wandering twards Cali from here my biggest issue is the new mexico area with all the desert and what not. Any helpful tips/ general knowledge is appreciated.

Wolf

Reaction score
Careful of the desert, I don't have experience in the desert, and little to no long term travel experience at the moment so I can't help you there, but at least make sure you are supplied with water and warmth, I hear deserts get cold at night.

Do you have talents? Learn the busking laws of the places you know you will go through that should bring in some money. I would say get as much cash as you can before you take off though, save up cans and shit, I know in short term saving thats not much. When are leaving? I'm leaving from cali later this year and I'm starting to save up now, but I don't work so, you know.

I'm sure the others will have better advice. Oh and keep your eyes open for money on the ground, I've come up on 20+ before just walking around.

Dishka8643

Reaction score
Dumpsters of places like trader joe's, small bagel shops, pizza shops, cafe's, etc. are great places to find food. Many times places like dunkin donuts will put food out for homeless people in major cities. You can also walk in the store when they are closing up and simply explain that you are hungry, and ask them politely if they have any food that they are throwing away. Food stamps are also an option.

As far as money goes, Busking and spanging are popular options. Some people sell art. Craigs List can also be a good place to find temporary, under-the-table jobs like unskilled labor and things of that nature. Learning a trade skill like painting, carpentry, landscaping, etc, greatly expands your job opportunities.

Dishka8643

Reaction score
In reference to the desert: I only have experience in a "high desert" environment (Nevada) but I imagine that the weather conditions aren't much different in NM during the summer months. Unless you have the experience, you should not be planning to walk through the desert alone. That is a very dangerous situation. Try to secure a ride or save up and take a bus to the next city. If you find yourself hiking though, here are some things to keep in mind.

SUN: Having something like a large umbrella is very important for keeping the sun off you. Light, Loose clothing is also important to avoid overheating, without having to strip off your clothing and risk getting sunburnt. A sunburn will dehydrate you very quickly. A wet rag around your neck is a good way to keep cool. A wide brim hat is a good item to have. You can also wear a cotton sheet, like a shemagh. Sunglasses to protect your eyes are important, especially if they are light.

- Hike at night. Rest in the shade during the day. This will greatly reduce your water loss, and keep you safe from sun exposure.

WIND & AIR: Even when not active, simply exposing your skin to dry air will dehydrate you. Wind will increase the speed in which this happens, so keep that in mind when you are deciding how much water to bring. Wind also kicks up dust, so having a bandana and sunglasses to protect your face is a good idea. If you have the resources, building a raised bed will help keep you cool because it will allow air to circulate under you. Sand can stay hot for quite some time after the sun goes down.

Water: Obviously, water is extremely important. If hiking and the temp is around 110, expect to consume about 2 gallons of water a day. You will also need a way to replenish body salts and electrolytes lost from sweat, so it's a good idea to carry lots of gatoraid powder mix, sport beans, gel, or something similar.

Insects & animals: Scorpions are common New mexico. They are nocturnal. Generally, the smaller the pincers, the more venomous it is. keep boots upside down and elevated on poles at night. They like dark holes, overhangs, and burrows, so avoid those during the day. Rattlesnakes is another thing to watch out for. They can be found in the morning sunning themselves on rocks, and in the day, in cool places like caves and rock overhangs. They also like to lay on asphalt during the evening because the road will radiate heat after the sun goes down. Coyotes are also common, but are less of a danger, as long as you don't leave food all around you. Try to eat at a different spot than you are sleeping.

Communication: Don't rely on a cell phone. Most remote areas don't have cell reception. Try to tell a friend or trusted individual your route, and when you expect to be in town. Once you get to your destination, call them so they know you made it. If they don't hear from you, they can assume that something went wrong and send a rescue party to search for you.

hope that helps.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think you have registered at the wrong website; we do not homeless, were a squat thrust enthusiast site and do not condone being a bum and a mooching from the hard working people of society I would kindly ask you to unregister from this site and never return.

Dishka8643

Reaction score
Is that directed at me? > haha...Dude .....There are so many threads about spanging, busking and dumpster diving on here. The original poster obviously wasn't working, so I was trying to give the guy useful information. If you don't like doing things that way, that is your opinion. To tell me to leave a forum simply because I violated some personal moral code of yours is pretty closed minded. And who is "we", exactly? As far as I can tell, this forum is made up of all kinds of people with many different lifestyles. I pretty much keep to myself on here, and I only post when I feel like I have the opportunity to help someone.

If you have such a problem with what I wrote, why don't you share some of your own thoughts on the subject so we can have an intelligent discussion; instead of attacking me personally.

and for the record- I like working for my money. That is why I suggested craigslist in the first place.

Menyun

Reaction score
lol thx for the tips soundpath... I'm not to worried about the wildlife im pretty good as far as that goes but the rest was win win for me and I appreciate it. As far as Diagaro goes lol who the fuck are you calling a bum? I ask for advice but thats as far as it goes I'm not on welfare or anything like that and never will be who cares about my living situation home is where you make it right? so im not really homeless im more shelter limited. And you really never know who your gonna piss off I'd suggest for your well being you don't reply to anyone that way again. Oh and as far as mooching off people ... you squat - aka your using someones property for free.. sounds like you mooch as much as I do.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
@Menyun

He_mad.jpg

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Food is everywhere, just look in the trash. In the desert water = life, stay close to water and you'll be fine. A 5 lb bag of rice can sustain you for a very long time. As for everything else there's these awesome web sites called squat the planet and digihitch that offer useful info on living on low or no dollars.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Beegod Santana said: "use the good sense the creator/evolution gave you. The search function here is a good tool - Do not post threads asking for answers that are already here"
Also googling can be helpful - heres the URL to that site Google

Menyun

Reaction score
Thx Beegod Santana .. Sry if the answer to my question was already answered on another thread I must of missed it. : Diagaro I feel for ya, Trolling doesn't make you cool... grow up.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'll tell ya, once I see mass insurgence of new faces ALL POSTING "HOW DO I SQUAT AND BE HOMELESS, HOW DO I RYDE FREIGHT TRAINS, HOW DO I GET SAILBOAT AND SAIL/LIVE ON THE CHAIN?!?!" It becomes as annoying as walking down that street wit the old dirty poopstained pants wearing homebums begging us for our change, US the ones with the dogs that shit on the sidewalks, shouldered Alice pack with 90 lbs of gear dangling, hemp necklaces with vertebrae interwoven in, facial tats and hoboneckties, railpatches and missing teeth - asking for what we all must earn in a similar way. I earn my knowledge of independence of sociatys doldrums and constrictions. If you cannot use a simple search feature you don't deserve any positive input from me, I ain't trippin on status I'm just saying that you as well as every other newcomer needs to USE SOME FUCKING DISCRETION AND COMMON SENCE!!!

Your the newcomer and deserve due respect for even daring to think different from the rest of the world (though tramping/hoboing is becoming as trendy as Capri pants) but your a greenhorn, your gonna get shit! take it in stride, I ain't the only one I just have lots of time on my hands and have my own laptop so am usually the first one to flame a questioning newbie - plus I'm just a plain and simple asshole and don't give a fuck anymore - I quit caring about peoples feelings when I went insane about a year ago and started traveling hardcore in the shit. If you still got hatred in your heart, save it for the folks you will meet out there in the real world that irl troll, you slip up and lose your composure in the big wide world your liable to lose parts of your body. I'm Jesus Christ nice compared to some of the assholes you will inevitably meet out there.
And with that; the answer to your question is this: it will all work it self out, just be patient and keep your eyes, ears and mind open - you (presumably) are human and humans are the most resilient and adaptive creatures under this sun.
Good day to you sir and happy travels.

crow

Reaction score
Dumpsters of places like trader joe's, small bagel shops, pizza shops, cafe's, etc. are great places to find food. Many times places like dunkin donuts will put food out for homeless people in major cities. You can also walk in the store when they are closing up and simply explain that you are hungry, and ask them politely if they have any food that they are throwing away. Food stamps are also an option.

As far as money goes, Busking and spanging are popular options. Some people sell art. Craigs List can also be a good place to find temporary, under-the-table jobs like unskilled labor and things of that nature. Learning a trade skill like painting, carpentry, landscaping, etc, greatly expands your job opportunities.

It's all been said.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads