rafting the mississippi... | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

rafting the mississippi...

boucaneer

Reaction score
i tried to raft down the mississippi once in NOLA and me and my friend were drunk and got followed by the ferry then a coast guard boat, then a tug boat then the harbor police. and according to the harbor police it is illegal to do :(

only illeagal because you were drunk. other than that it should be perfectly legal.

Swiper

Reaction score
if anyone has any information on the ride down, like weather, where it's good to make money, what the towns are like, ect, you should PM me about it because I am very very interested in doing this!

Gypsybones

Reaction score
Website
highonwheels.tumblr.com
I know a few cats that built a pontoon boat out of wood and plastic 50gal drums.
they made it right down at the boat launch in river side park on the south side of Pittsburgh.
this was the summer of 08 and the plan was to drift the whole way down to nola and get off there. I know they had to get a little 5hp motor and mount it on the back to make it legal.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
I used to know some guys who canoed it from up on the Missouri. They said it was scary as hell. As they told the story all the commercial traffic pretends they don't see you and try to run you down or swamp you, and every lock you had to pass through was a nightmare. They sold the canoe when they were done and never wrote the book they'd been planning.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I used to know some guys who canoed it from up on the Missouri. They said it was scary as hell. As they told the story all the commercial traffic pretends they don't see you and try to run you down or swamp you, and every lock you had to pass through was a nightmare. They sold the canoe when they were done and never wrote the book they'd been planning.
Wow, interesting to hear. I wonder if that changes when you're in a larger craft like a barrel barge.

Can you drink the water if you boil it, or do you have to haul in 100% of your water? that'd be real shitty..
and do you even need a motor?

Eager

Reaction score
As someone who grew up along the Mississippi and comes from a long line of boat people, I think its cool that people have a renewed interest in traversing the Mississippi, but I gotta say some of yall are have really naive, romanticized ideas about it. If you wouldn't take a clown car out on the interstate, you probz shouldn't take some shitty craft you hodgepodged together with super glue in a couple days out on the Mississippi. The mighty Mississippi isn't some tiny pristine stream in Pennsylvania or Virginia. Can you build your own craft and sail from Minneapolis to NOLA? Sure, but as the Rockaway Armada crew found out the hard way, it isn't as simple as throwing some logs and milk jugs together and jumping in. You gotta have a solid craft and know what the fuck your doing.

And the Mississippi River in Winona or Minneapolis/St. Paul is not the same as the Mississippi in St. Louis or Memphis or NOLA. The water is littered with tree branches lining the bottom once you get to St. Louis, and the currents double in strength once you get to the Ohio River convergence at Cairo, IL, and by the time you get north of Memphis, the river gets so wide you could easily think you were in one of the great lakes (there were no Mississippi river bridges south of STL for decades because it was considered too wide to engineer) and by the time you get to Louisiana, the waters become so muddled and swampy, travelling in a small craft without capsizing or scraping the bottom of your boat is near impossible.

PS: And no, you cannot boil and drink water out of the Mississippi. There is a reason most towns and cities along the Mississippi don't get their drinking water from the Mississippi.

Dmac

Reaction score
as someone who has canoed and boated a lot i would love to hear stories of people who try and do this. you don't just toss something together and float down like huck finn did. i am preparing to laugh my ass off hearing of those who try it. please, please do this, i need more humor in my life. in a good canoe, the wind can still push you back upstream, a raft is even worse . and getting supplies is worse than hitching or hopping. forget fishing for your food, it just will not work out. but i do want to hear your stories about how it sucked. i have taken a canoe from Omaha to st. Lewis. took forever and i will never do something like that again. but i am sure that YOU can do it better, just make sure to tell us all about it, if you don't end up drowning

• Haha
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Sauv89

Reaction score
It's totally doable, I went from St Cloud to Red Wing in a 17ft Coleman canoe with my dog. I ended up not going all the way b.c of the weather. Some days were great, others cold & windy, mind you I began my trip in late march ( 2012) and by April 16 the weather had me fucked, got stuck near Spring Lake in horrible gusts of winds and 3-5ft waves. It's a great adventure! !!!

Reactions: ayyyjayyy

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score

dprogram

Reaction score
Just scrolled through all the responses to this.

My friend Michael Bray died in that river and it's nothing to play with. The undercurrent is so strong that it creates whirlpools. I'm from Memphis and have seen them personally. Be careful punx!

K

Kim Chee

My friend Michael Bray died in that river and it's nothing to play with. The undercurrent is so strong that it creates whirlpools. I'm from Memphis and have seen them personally. Be careful punx!

Good advice!

I don't have a boat or seamanship skills to offer, but if anybody is gonna do anything like this and wouldn't mind some hardworking company I'm down with that.

dprogram

Reaction score
I'm guessing that about 16-20 55 gallon drums strapped together could make a good sized platform.

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
industry grade palllet tanks are a cubic meter, and can hold 1 ton of weight bouyant. 6 of those, and you could throw a few caravans on top, a bunch of people, supplies to last the whole trip, and still be well above water.

40 Hands

Reaction score
Actually me and a bunch of kids wanna host a rat race down the missisip. Everyone starts in one town (were thinkin quad cities since thered be 4 cities to hit for raft building supplies for everyone to work). Only rule is you have to build your own raft, not buy or jack one. Finish line in NOLA and were thinkin bout tossin a $25 entry fee per raft, and the winning raft takes the cake. Thats the plan for next summer atleast. Ill start a thread for it later on when we get the schematics worked out.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Actually me and a bunch of kids wanna host a rat race down the missisip. Everyone starts in one town (were thinkin quad cities since thered be 4 cities to hit for raft building supplies for everyone to work). Only rule is you have to build your own raft, not buy or jack one. Finish line in NOLA and were thinkin bout tossin a $25 entry fee per raft, and the winning raft takes the cake. Thats the plan for next summer atleast. Ill start a thread for it later on when we get the schematics worked out.

that sounds awesome, i would be totally down for this. please let us know if you decided to do this.

I want to follow a few other folks doing this and make a mini-documentary about it. i hear sooo much talk about doing this, but ive never met anyone who has. i really would like to do this with a bunch of other people and document it for others to prove it can be done.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads