Protecting a train riding dogs hearing

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
Ayo! So, I ended up purchasing what is deemed as a "Happy Hoodie". Which, essentially is a head sleeve designed to tuck your dog's ears under. You can layer it over itself for more protection, but it was created by groomers, for groomers to help force dry dogs. Apparently it's also for anxiety relief, but mainly was designed to keep the dog more calm when in contact with a hair dryer. Some people also use it for fireworks, thunder, etc. Kind of seems the same as a thunder jacket. Providing some compression to give the dog more comfort? I travel with it as part of my dog's gear, and have put it on her when riding trains probably about 5 times (rides) now. I have seen a positive result. She is less jumpy, and actually more willing to relax. Though she can still be a bit stressed, it has alleviated it. I can see the difference in how she reacts to loud abrupt noises like slack action, and screeches. Which, makes me feel better that I could be causing her less physical damage. It was only $16 on Amazon. Well worth it. I do have to adjust throughout the ride, but it's not too impractical.

• Love It
  • Thank you
Reactions: Scat and croc

croc

Reaction score
I made a DIY happy hoodie w two dollar general beanies that I cut the top of. One seemed too thin so I got two. This is only my first time having them on her on a train but it is definitely helping some even tho I have to adjust her ears under it pretty often. I think if made with higher quality beanie it would work better since the elasticity of these suck. Just what I could find in a pinch but it is definitely helping her stay calmer.

IMG_20230429_141222765.jpg

travelbytrainsagain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I take a strip of tissue an inch and quarter or so wide, right, and tear it down like nine inches or so...
(So you have a one inch ~by nine inch strip)
Ok, take that, roll it up...
Fold it in half, wet it, and drop it right in dogs ear canal...
Been doing it for over eight years, dogs hearing seems fine!!!

Dog seems to get it.
Also watch train when it rolls in to avoid cars with flat wheels, those are particularly loud

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads