Preventing bicycle theft. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Preventing bicycle theft.

soapybum

Reaction score
My friend uses an industrial sized chain and lock, you have to have a specialized type of boltcutters to cut it so pretty sure that would work well.

DregeDE

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Put poop on the handlegrips, tacks under the seatfoam, thermite loaded tennis ball bomb on frame by the crank, then strike anywhere matches on the sprocket against teh magnesium wrapped themite bomb.
Your bike will never be stolen. EVER!

Reactions: notlateforsuppa

ElectroGypsy

Reaction score
So what if the lock was picked? Or is the broken lock was taken too?
The thing as I see it is this:
Locks do not mean a thing. They can all be opened, it just takes a certain amount of skill, and sometimes tools. The locks are meant only to make it harder to take, and therefore not worth the effort.
Get a big scary looking lock, not necessarily the most expensive, or the one made from the most exotic metals, etc. Do this knowing that if some prick wants to steal something, they are probably going to find a way to do it.

Euhill

Reaction score
Here in Mesa, Tempe, and Scottsdale, if the thieves can't steal it, they will strip it. With that said never leave your bike locked up for too long anywhere. That includes high traffic areas. A lot of bicycles have been stripped in high traffic areas, such as the super Walmarts, Bookman's book store, Tempe Town Lake, and the Indian Bend Wash path.

Hylyx

Reaction score
Pretty much all that's been said you can count on. THe lock "insurance" thing is total BS, etc.

but I do wanna try this someday:

WanderLost Radical

Reaction score
I just had a bike stolen- the joker that took it used some sort of pry bar to simply pry/warp the heavy U-lock apart.
Was stolen in the first place from some super-rich college kids- i know, i know, i've changed since then- so it was karma i guess, easy come, easy go

U-locks are fairly easy and quick to bust with a car jack. Like the ones that comes with the car.

Reactions: Dmac

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads