Preventing bicycle theft.

Pedal

Reaction score
For those times on the road where you can't sit around and wave a sharp cleaver to deter would be thieves.

Going on a bicycle journey soon, and I would like to hear the best lock(s) and/or security method for locking up a bike. While your gettin' food, or getting some sleep.

Ive been thinking that perhaps hiding the bicycle away from the general public would be the best means of security.

Then again, there are "bushbeaters" out there.

Whatchya think?

Skye

Reaction score
Website
www.squatchlif.com
i hope this isnt to late to reply to, but it's a common sense thing that i lock up my frame and front tire to something that cant be lifted off or busted and i use a seperate lock for the back half. im just paranoid though.

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
My suggestion would be to use a U-Lock type of lock.
They are EXTREAMLY hard to break through, making theft ALOT less likely.
If you take off the front wheel, then run the U-Lock through both wheels and the frame then all should be nice and secure.
As far as to where to lock up your bike, the only thing I can help with is some words of advice I have gotten from others about safe places to lock up:
"Alwayse make sure you lock up you bike in a well lit area, with a good amount of foot/vehicle traffic. That way the theif will not have all the time in the world to snag your bike"
Hope that it helped out some, have fun on your trip!

Mor

Reaction score
I bought a top shelf touring saddle last week and had a quick release on my seat post...

I've been paranoid to leave my bike locked up out of view so to remedy that I bought a simple allen key bolt for the seat clamp.

I adjusted the height, tightened it up like normal and then jammed a ball bearing followed by a bunch of glue into the allen key slot.

I'm hoping this will slow down any would be theives.

coldsteelrail

Reaction score
The original poster said something about hiding the bike from the general public. In my experience this works well, however it is best if you lock up the bike as well as stash it. And by stashing it, i mean stashing it, not just locking it up in some secluded area. Most bike security people would advice locking your bike up in a highly visible and heavily trafficked area, as a way to prevent thieving. I've had bikes stolen from downtown city halls, libraries, and my own garage. The most important part of the bike is the back wheel. Any type of lock can be chewed through with a hacksaw within 5 minutes, and if you don't believe me, try it on a fancy ulock. If you are really paranoid, use more than one lock. Carry a heavy chain, with a pick resistant lock too. You're going on a trip you say, so carry your valuables with you when you go inside, but there is no need to bring everything you own around with you. In my experience, getting your stuff stolen happens where you least expect it, so don't let down your guard down.
People say you attract what you think about, so maybe don't be so paranoid. As any thief will demonstrate, bikes are easy to come by.

Reactions: wokofshame

UrbanNokizaru

Reaction score
Website
ninjabikeslut.tumblr.com
Your best bet if you don't wanna lose your bike is to get a chain with links are squared and not round, makes sawing through them harder. Also keep your bike looking ugly, yea maybe some desperate thieves will still take it but they're less likely to want it. Cover it in duct tape, bike tube, dirt, grime, whatever. Also if you're a bike thief you suck.

Reactions: p4r4d0x
B

booze

ball bearings in allen key holes, on guard makes an awesome chain lock and an awesome u lock. just remember YOU CAN CUT THROUGH U LOCKS. and people don't really care about seeing someone getting their bike stolen. this is a video by these dudes who were i nyc during rush hour and filmed how easy it is to use bolt cutters, hack saw and a grinder to get to a bike.

also be careful of what you lock up to. if it's easier for them to angle grind through a fence or pole they'll do it and just take the bike with the lock. remember that you can unscrew poles and other things that are in the ground. there are companies that make custom tools so you can't get anything off your bike without your tools. i don't know how pricey it is but i'm assuming its up there. as for your saddle you can use a chain to hold it to your bike but some people carry chain tools so it might just be worth it to take it inside with you.

bicycle

Reaction score
the only way to safely lock your bike is with 2 locks.
a chain lock and a u lock. both wheels locked to frame and one lock frame wheel to pole or something else.
this as minimum!
Taking saddle of or releasing air from a wheel ( always carry a pump ) works too.
If you come back to your bike and your wheel is empty dont let the bike stay there for a night.
pump up the wheel or replace your bike some streets away as its a bike thief tactic to come back later and steal the bike.

Reactions: bryanpaul

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
I just had a bike stolen- the joker that took it used some sort of pry bar to simply pry/warp the heavy U-lock apart.
Was stolen in the first place from some super-rich college kids- i know, i know, i've changed since then- so it was karma i guess, easy come, easy go

Kabukimono

Reaction score
I just use a normal chain lock - mostly at night. I tend to not tie my bike up when I have to go into places. From nearly five months on it - I've been robbed from once.
At night - i make sure that the ties from my tent run through the frame and spokes of ma bike, then if someone tries to steal it ... They wake me up. Note though ... paranoia can kick in if windy or stuff like that. Just sounds like there stealing from you anyway. :D

K.m

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads