Potable heat. | Squat the Planet

Potable heat.

railroadron

Reaction score
This is an old trick I've used countless times in the colder regions while on trains..especially on the highline. You take a steele spike bucket and punch holes on the bottom for air. Put rocks in the bottom several inches thick.. ( bigger=better) build a fire and keep piling wood on it and fill it up with coals..put rocks on top of that and when it glowing take a 2 by 4 and pick it up by the handle and put it on your ride. It ll radiate heat for hours. Works great in boxcars!

travelin

Reaction score
be aware that heating up rocks too quickly will often cause them to shatter spectacularly and dangerously. heat em up slow.

railroadron

Reaction score
Yes..never use river rocks or ones that are submerged in water because they hold too much moisture and will snap crackle and pop. As far as riding through towns..its all good cause once the fire is out and the heater s glowing there is no smoke signature.

• Useful
Reactions: Omightydarkone

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
You can also use those glowing hot rocks to boil up some hot coffee if you carry Instant. Get a "gunboat" make your instant coffee as usual and drop in a couple hot rocks. Pretty simple stuff. Straight outta the boy scouts type shit here.

atlastalias

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
This is an old trick I've used countless times in the colder regions while on trains..especially on the highline. You take a steele spike bucket and punch holes on the bottom for air. Put rocks in the bottom several inches thick.. ( bigger=better) build a fire and keep piling wood on it and fill it up with coals..put rocks on top of that and when it glowing take a 2 by 4 and pick it up by the handle and put it on your ride. It ll radiate heat for hours. Works great in boxcars!
Sounds like something I'd try for an abandoned house but if the house caught fire run back to the freight yard lol

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads