Post traveling depression...expieriences with it/how to cope

Threads
Current Location
Reserve, United States
Reactions
67% 0% 33%
Ive been off the road for a solid 5 months now after traveling straight for 5 yrs. Lost my dog,road dog and van and everything in it due to a fire. I had to re -start/settle/get my shit together (ID,license,Ss card etc) and am having a hard time being okay with staying still.

Threads
Current Location
Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Just hang in there, each day will get better. I've been there and done that.

Threads
Current Location
Portland, United States
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Heyy Carly whaddup. I've been wondering what happened to you after Love.

In April I went back to SATX to visit old friends and get a vehicle. Worked in a vegan tex-mex restaurant for a couple weeks before going to the ER where I found out I have heart failure. Been housed up the past five as well, now living with my mom again in WA.

For me what's really helped is I started trying to learn different skills. This past month I've learned how to knit and it's all I do nowadays... I can really lose myself in it and it's really cool because I can make warm hats for travelers that are on the road right now and thus have a piece of me out there livin' the dream.

,If you're planning on hittin' the road again someday I'd suggest looking up community classes in things that can benefit you in your travels later on. Primitive survival skills courses, nutrition in the wild etc. If you take advantage of your down time by learning and growing yourself odds are you'll get super excited about putting said skills to use when you're out again, and it won't feel like time wasted.

I plan on gettin' back out there ASAP and so I'm trying to hone my knitting skills into something I can use to exploit yuppies for their dollah dollah billz in the future. Also been watching a lot of recorded nutritional classes on youtube as well as studying a few other things on my own that I think will help me help myself and others whenever I'm in the woods again or if I decide to live on a community farm ever.

IDK, just find ways to bring your love of travel into the life you're living now.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help, but regardless I'm super stoked to hear you're working on getting things back together. The misery you endure now will make the future shine all the brighter.

Hope to see you again someday!
Annah

Anagor

Vagabond
Threads
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Ive been off the road for a solid 5 months now after traveling straight for 5 yrs.
I'm housed up now for over 6 months after travelling on and off for like 3 years ... need to help my parents at the moment.

and am having a hard time being okay with staying still.
Can totally relate. I mean I'm glad I can help my parents right now, but I can't wait to hit the road again. It's just fuckin boring. And I miss friends I wanted to visit again months ago. I did not anticipate that it would take so long here.

Hope you can travel again soon!

Jackthereaper

StP Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Earth
Reactions
80% 2% 17%
I usually ride MX or autocross during my non traveling months. Gets the adrenaline pumping and forces focus. Keeps my mind off just leaving while i pump out a years work in six months. I also fly rc, (collective pitch helis, quads, fpv planks etc). My fpv plank is so useful for recon i have considered bringing it freight hopping lol. Its just bulky.

Either way, if i dont keep my mind busy i get stir crazy and wind up needing to leave. On a train, in a plane, whatever.

Last edited:

Tadaa

Wanderer
Threads
Current Location
Tallinn, Estonia
Reactions
95% 0% 5%
dont get a job next to the railroadtracks if you used to trainhop..i find myself stairing out the window every day and dream about another adventure..

besides that.. i travelled and lived around the world for ten years.. guess i ll never get over it.. but i want a homebase.. so building one.. and hopefully this winter i ll go ride some trains in the usa again.. (saving money here @Thewalkindude
if it isnt you to settle down then dont.
be you, live your life

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
yeah, much like others have said, i keep myself busy with projects. the stp podcast has really been helping me maintain my sanity with a connection to the community while i wait out the next 10 months or so until i can travel again.

Threads
Current Location
Wondering while wandering westward
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
When i'm not working i like to make jewelry, toys, and knickknacks to keep my mind busy... then when i hit the road i sell and/or give away what i make... hobbies can keep you sane and make you some extra $$$. win win.