Question Places to visit in Oregon?

laughingman

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I very much liked the portland botanical gardens when I was in town. There was also a little shop called SCRAP I think that had all sorts of industrial cast offs for fixing and patching and art supplies. The city vibe is fairly cool over all but I was runing though at the time. If you go more south to the avenue of the giants its the best place to see stands of redwoods. Oregon has a lot of good forested spots to see. I like to pull up an overvew on google maps that tends to find parks and green places quickly.

Tobiko

Reaction score
Reactions: lonerjunk

Tobiko

Reaction score
Last edited:

Batsy

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
I have read and heard that Astoria is cool. So much so that I've added it to my list of places to go when I make my way up there.

When you go to Astoria, check out The Haunt (if you drink). It’s a cool antifascist, Viking/metal/goth bar. I had a nice talk with their bartender about how when you advertise your bar as a “viking” bar, you have to take a stance against fascism or else you end up with the wrong crowd.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Bend is cool to see and experience. It used to be my home base for a while, but the bougie-fication the last time I went rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. Go eat at the Family Kitchen. It's one of the best soup kitchens I've ever been to. Shower truck and med clinic outside 2x/week. Not sketchy at all. Go and see Tumalo falls. Nothing can beat that Bend/Cascades skyline....

I lived in Eugene on Skinner Butte for like 2 months back in 2008. I went back recently and its....also not my bag anymore. But if you're looking for punk/skate/DIY culture etc. It's a great place to hang out. I'd usually busk around the bar-muda triangle.

I'm in Portland right now. I still love this city, but you have to get out of downtown to really see it. I like hanging out in Burnside, St. Johns, and Brooklyn. Mainly cause that's where trains are. Portland is also not the city it used to be. The homebums are gnarly, and I've seen some pretty bad violence up here the last couple of times I've been near downtown. I definitely sleep with one eye open in alot of places now.

I don't know if the Yamhill Pub is still kicking, but it was my first introduction to punk and traveling culture In 2007. It was a great bar last time i was there. There is also the Oregon Rail Heritage Museum in Brooklyn, if you're into trains.

Other places to see in OR include: Astoria, the entire coast (minus Coos Bay), Ashland, Hood River, McKenzie Bridge and the hots springs around it, Umpqua hot springs...

Avoid most of the southern I-5 corridor cities/towns. They kinda suck, and the tweakers are insane.

• Love It
Reactions: lonerjunk

lonerjunk

Reaction score
Website
loneranarchy.blogspot.com
Bend is cool to see and experience. It used to be my home base for a while, but the bougie-fication the last time I went rubbed me the wrong way, and I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. Go eat at the Family Kitchen. It's one of the best soup kitchens I've ever been to. Shower truck and med clinic outside 2x/week. Not sketchy at all. Go and see Tumalo falls. Nothing can beat that Bend/Cascades skyline....

I lived in Eugene on Skinner Butte for like 2 months back in 2008. I went back recently and its....also not my bag anymore. But if you're looking for punk/skate/DIY culture etc. It's a great place to hang out. I'd usually busk around the bar-muda triangle.

I'm in Portland right now. I still love this city, but you have to get out of downtown to really see it. I like hanging out in Burnside, St. Johns, and Brooklyn. Mainly cause that's where trains are. Portland is also not the city it used to be. The homebums are gnarly, and I've seen some pretty bad violence up here the last couple of times I've been near downtown. I definitely sleep with one eye open in alot of places now.

I don't know if the Yamhill Pub is still kicking, but it was my first introduction to punk and traveling culture In 2007. It was a great bar last time i was there. There is also the Oregon Rail Heritage Museum in Brooklyn, if you're into trains.

Other places to see in OR include: Astoria, the entire coast (minus Coos Bay), Ashland, Hood River, McKenzie Bridge and the hots springs around it, Umpqua hot springs...

Avoid most of the southern I-5 corridor cities/towns. They kinda suck, and the tweakers are insane.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I'll definitely look out for these places when I hit up Oregon.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads