Pirate Town?

iTch

Reaction score
I'm not from PDX, but will be there soon and want to see this area referred to as Pirate Town, and possibly use it to sleep in. Does anyone know how to get there from downtown PDX, or where it is on a map? Would I be able to find out by asking around?
Thanks!

flashinglights

Reaction score
Sadly, the structures remaining were demolished this year. There should still be some chill camping spots, for those that know the area.

flashinglights

Reaction score
Arrow, I travelled there recently, to visit and take pictures (in the current heat, no less) and found nothing but a little rubble and a lot of brownfields. Bummed out. One less connection to the city for me...

As far as the date goes, I guess the demolition was scheduled for March but may have been pushed back? Other signs lead me to believe it was fairly recent; in particular, cleanup of the site surface continues.

I should also note, beware of the area in the quadrant immediately south and east of the tracks. This area has been fenced for a long time, since before I first visited in the 90s. That is where the majority of PCB contamination lies. A few years ago I took a relative there to see the sights, and we ran into EPA employees in bunny suits walking the same ballast we were on. No shit, it's that toxic!

History geeks, PM me if you want to know more about the history of the spot and its industrial past...

flashinglights

Reaction score
Back in 89 or 90 it would have had 1-2 extra levels intact in each large area of the building, easy roof access, original wallpaper print visible, and plenty of original early 20th century furniture. Most of that was gone by the late 90s, the floors were the last thing to go.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads