Pet Rat

M

Mady

I have this adorable pet rat, and hes real friendly and nice, he lives in my hood or my hoodey pocket, but he keeps shitting in there. Im figuring there is not much i can do about it, so ive just been cleaning out the shit and washing my hands, then letting the pee dry. I was wondering if anyone had a better solution? a cage isnt really an option because i dont have room to travel with it...

S

smellytravelerchick

Hey, maybe try a plastic bag and rip it open it up and place it in ur pocket or hood and let the rat pay arpind then when ur done u can just pick up the plastic and itll be all clean...maybe sew it down or somthing..tryin to help usualy i just let my rat crawl around the either wash the sweatshirt or spray the piss smell with something good like febreeze or shit haha

Spyder

C

Cush

this is completly off topic and won't help you with your rat shit problem but my friend amanda taught her pet rat cashmire to pull wallets out of peoples pockets/handbags. it's pretty awesome.

M

Mady

haha mines a baby still! I would love to teach him that skill. And those are AWESOME suggestions that helped a ton actually. very simple xD

M

Mouse

DEAR GOD DON'T USE PLASTIC!

he'll eat it. he'll sufficate on it. it's just a bad idea.

I miss my rat so much. he was my pride and joy.

uh.. but anyways.. as to your problem... I suggest you just deal with it. having a rat live in your coat means he's gonna do what rats do(doo). I just suggest you don't feed him(or her?) meat because it gives them nasty poops. it also makes them more agressive.

as for the pee... he's marking his territory. take it as a compliment.

Whenever I washed my jacket my rat snubbed me for the first few days until it started smelling again.

Love your rat and it'll love you. my rat acted more like a loyal friend than most people ever could.

M

Mady

I didnt think plastic sounded good, but some kind of lineing seems great. I dont mind being pissed on i guess lol. I better just get used to picking out the shit xD Thanks

M

Mouse

yeah. I have a deep deep love for rats so if you've ever got other questions feel free to ask. I traveled with my rat for 2 years. I miss him everyday. I even made a lil shirine to him an dstuff cuz he was awesome.

it would probably be a good idea to just get some etra fabric and put it in your hood and pockets. just some scraps. rats love to make lil nests and your rat coudl use the fabric and chew it up instead of chewing holes in your hoodie (which it will... oh yes it will. my old hoddie looked liek swiss cheese!)

blackmatter

Reaction score
all i have to say is aww how cute this is off topic but whatever my friend had an aquarium tank he kept his rat hoover in and he put an old shoe and pizza box in it haha cute shit

C

Crazycoon

I dont allow myself to go into pet stoes and oggle rodents and shit cause i know Im gonna end up stealing one, and then it would probably get crushed when I tumble from a tree or hopping on the fly. But sometimes in department store dumpsters theres really huge, thick cardboard tubes, mabee chop one up to size and you could put it in yer pocket?

O

Oaksey

AHhhhh i love my rat Sinatra. She's nothing special, as in she doesnt do anything cool besides climb her cage like monkeybars at night, but when I carry her with me, she does the same thing, shits and pisses on things and me. I have her on a veggie diet which keeps her shit basically solid so it just rolls off my shoulder and that's easier. You can keep a bottle of hand sanitizer with you if you're really that worried, but you can develop immunity to the stuff if you use it too often.

But my question is, is it just a horrible idea to take Sinatra with me when I train-hop? She has really good grip on me (as proven when I spent a whole day at a protest dancing wildly and she didnt fall off) but I'm still unsure. She stays generally close to me at all times and we've bonded pretty well, but I dont want to lose her if something happens. Is it safe?

M

Mady

ive been squatting and hitching with my rat, hes gotten really good. I am taking him hopping sometime soon, im sure its ok, i know people that have done it. If your riding something windy make sure hes got comfortable roaming space in your clothes.

blackmatter

Reaction score
so i was in baltimore the other weekend and talking to this train hopper dude, he had the perfect thing, ya know those plastic small drawers that slide out that people keep for different odds and ends oir whatever well put newspaper in there and ya got a traveling home for your rat :)

when i used to travel with my rat she pretty much hung out in my hoody. i carried a small hard plastic box with a bunch of airholes punched in. LOTS of holes so she didnt suffocate. i just used it if she was getting too rowdy when i was sleeping. as far as shit and piss, well thats just one of the benefits.
R.I.P zazel

O

Oaksey

i think i'm gonna leave her at home this first go around so i know i can handle the tracks themselves first. Once I know i'm good, I'll take Sinatra along. Thanks for your help though, good advice!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads