pet rat carriers

mikey mayhem

Reaction score
i recently got a rat her name is dump truck and i just wanted to get some ideas on what other people use for a cage when they arent just hanging out on your shoulder while traveling....i was thinking of using a big fanny pack. so what do you use?

coldsteelrail

Reaction score
rat tat tat talk

i traveled with two rats once, and when i had to keep them in one place, so they wouldn't run off, i kept them in a school backpack. They totally hated it, and when i would open the bag up to give them some water, or to let them out, they would jump out of the bag as fast as they could. I think a fanny pack would be OK, and it would probably like the concept of a nest to some extend, but they could still chew through it. Maybe you could repanel the fanny pack with wire screen, so that it felt more comfortable, and less enclosed. I met someone last year traveling with a tiny little wire cage. Rats hate to be caged up, so they seemed to react to the cage the same way as the bag (wanting to spend as much time as possible free), but at least in the cage they get more air/visual stimulation. Rats can be trained to come when called, but they will just run off on you, never to return again. I personally think it's irresponsible to let the rats out in the wild, not because i think it's cruel that they would likely get eaten, but b/c they are an introduced species, and compete with other wildlife for food and space, they carry disease, and they breed really quickly. they are also a direct competitor with humans.
i think rats do the best in hoods. Somewhere where they can't be crushed. Maybe you could make a little cage hood or pocket made of wire screen (that it can't as easily chew through) to lock it up into when you need to.

D

Deleted member 1505

rat tat tat talk

My rat solomon (RIP) would just hide in my clothes most of the day, but whenever we'd get on a train Id have to put him in my pack. Other than that he was always out. When Id go to sleep at night he would wander off and explore but never went too far and always returned by early morning in my sleeping bag. So i suppose it really depends on the reason you are trying to enclose him. If you just need to hide him real quick to get some supplies at a store, then a fanny pack or small shoulder bag (like a military gas mask bag) would work. If you just want to keep him from wandering off while your asleep, youre going to want something different. Rats chew on everything and will get themselves out of a fabric enclosure within minutes. I know they sell little rat carriers (made of wire) that you can fold flat, perhaps you construct one yourself. It would also help to train your rat to come when called and always have some sort of treat on hand to coax him out of hiding if he does escape.

Reactions: barbuchon

Skye

Reaction score
Website
www.squatchlif.com
rat tat tat talk

i've never traveled with a rat (or any pet for that matter), but what would be good to feed them if you dont have like a bag of rat food or something? and i know this probably sounds like a dumb question, but what do you do about the poop? cuz i wouldnt want that shit in my hood or pocket! haha

Shark

Reaction score
rat tat tat talk

i've never traveled with a rat (or any pet for that matter), but what would be good to feed them if you dont have like a bag of rat food or something? and i know this probably sounds like a dumb question, but what do you do about the poop? cuz i wouldnt want that shit in my hood or pocket! haha

I don't know much about rats but since there usually wild animals they'll probably eat anything. Scraps, crumbs, shit outside in the woods. Keeping any animal caged up seems alittle selfish to me. Unless you mean like what Brix said.

mbgeorge

Reaction score
rat tat tat talk

Rats can be trained to come when called, but they will just run off on you, never to return again.
i disagree ... i've had several rats and have a rat (007) right now, once a rat gets used to you/knows your the alpha male and the one who supplies the food and water, they don't just wander of off ... say like a ferret would,... all of my rats have always been free to bee-bop wherever and have always come back eventually...

rats are omnivorous they will eat just about anything, i don't buy my rat, rat food because it's too expensive, i always keep oats, and sugar free trail mix for her but she always get a little bit of what i'm eating too,

as far as a cage goes you can get those little plastic travel cages (tanks) at pet stores for like 5 bucks or so

Reactions: barbuchon

astreet09

Reaction score
if anyone still reads this thread, i'd be interested to know if theres anyone who has had to hide rats while traveling.
i have two girls, kaz and padame, and they're always really quiet unless they're squabbling.
padame hangs out all the time, and has never tried to run off, ever. but kaz is a fucking escape artist, and has chewed through chickenwire.

i'm trying to sneak them onto an amtrak to denver. i'm not worried about padame, because she's super chill. but if kaz tries to chew through my pack, or does, and gets out, i'm going to freak out.

any ideas for humane ways to conceal them?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads