people and their first traveler experience | Squat the Planet

people and their first traveler experience

D

deleted user

so, I've been traveling around for about a year and a half now, and I've noticed so many first time experiences with our lifestyle happening to me.

I mainly just want to talk about the people that have never ran into a traveler before, but now, here you are, the first traveler to ever travel into their heart.

I've met many, but my most recent, megan, was wonderful. she worked me on easy work and paid me well, took me to a decent camp spot, smoked me out, gave me weed, twice now, 80$, and a fucking travel chair. she had never ran into one of us before and it was so cool being able to answer all the millions of questions she had.

so, stp, tell me your cherry popping people and of their experience.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I've gotten rides from a lot of folks who had never picked up a hitchhiker before me. I always try to be extra charming and not-sketchy in those cases to make a good impression so they'll want to help out more travelers.

I got a ride from a guy who had never met a traveler before on my first day hitching in the US. He had all sorts of questions about where we sleep, how we eat, etc. I didn't have many good stories myself so I just retold stories I'd heard from other travelers. He found it absolutely fascinating.

At one point I mentioned trainhopping and he said "Oh, I've done that!" I was confused as to how someone who had never even met a hitchhiker had hopped a train so I asked him about it. Turns out when he was a teenager he and his friends used to hop freight from one end of town to the other just to get around!

I've talked about this on StP before but the most fun things about hanging out with non-travelers (whether you're on the road at the time or not) is how fascinated they are with even the most mundane travel stories. It can be hard to impress a seasoned traveler with a story but most non-travelers will find the mere fact that you've hitchhiked without being murdered to be mind-blowing. :p

rooster831

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
It's always the same

"You hop freight trains?!?!?!? omg omg omg i didn't think people did that anymore! How do you get on? how do you get your dog on? Does it just stop? How do you get money? Has the dog eaten?"

yeah . . . it gets old

D

deleted user

It's always the same

"You hop freight trains?!?!?!? omg omg omg i didn't think people did that anymore! How do you get on? how do you get your dog on? Does it just stop? How do you get money? Has the dog eaten?"

yeah . . . it gets old
oh, don't be a party pooper. be grateful, my man.

OutsideYourWorld

Reaction score
Website
outsideyourworld.wordpress.com
I seem to meet many who haven't traveled. I rarely meet other hitchers, as well. I'd like to randomly meet more, even just to observe their travelin' way. I like communicating between very different worlds. Like alien contact. Most of the time they find it so cool, so interesting. Especially in Central Asia which is the first area of the world where it was very much not the West anymore. When the nation is built off sedentary life (relatively speaking), the traveling types are seen as exotic and hard to imagine. Like... leprechauns!

fabio

Reaction score
I think it's quite the same everywhere, at least in the West like the Canadian guy said. I just came from 3+ years traveling in South America, slow travel, hitchhiking. I got a lot of first-timers as well.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads