Pdx to slc

hitchingpdx

Reaction score
Taking the 77 from nw 21st and lovejoy, headed to troutdale to exit 17 o begin the trek east on i84.. Anyone here taking this journey before? Any tips? I have about $140 on my ebt card and $3.85 in cash as I begin

K

Kim Chee

I had a tough time there years ago. Cop was young, so maybe he's still there. Anyway, the no hitchhiking in city limits was rigorously enforced, the road is narrow and there isn't much going on for cars entering the roadway. I was heading WBD, but I'm guessing it is going to be the same for EBD. You may have a different experience, but if I were making the trip I'd make sure my ride doesn't terminate there.

Also, there is a prison further east. Hitchhiking anywhere near a prison really...really sucks. So try to be in a car when you pass that place.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

urchin

Reaction score
If you get dropped off in Tremonton check out the dumpster near the gas station across the street from Subway. When I was there about a week ago I saw three trash bags filled with good pizzas. I didn't eat them but pointed it out to some travelers and they enjoyed themselves. It fed the eight of them well.

Reactions: hitchingpdx

hitchingpdx

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm going to try this spot right next to the ta and loves across from the outlets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 313
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 306

hitchingpdx

Reaction score
Got a ride in less than 5 minutes to Boardman, Oregon
Pop 3300
46 miles from pendleton.
Going to walk a little down i84 east as the on ramp doesn't provide much room for somebody stopping.
Hermiston which is 22 miles east of me is the next town with a pop of 17000...only 15% left hopefully I'm not out here too long..

Reactions: urchin

hitchingpdx

Reaction score
Will do.
Just got into pendleton. 208 miles in about 7 hours.
Looks like nampa or boise will be my next destination. I'm going to attempt to catch a hitch going that way until around 8 and just sleep as close to i84 as possible and start hitching..

Definitely feels more conservative here so not sure how long this is going to take...

hitchingpdx

Reaction score
Slept under a bus stop on an Indian reservation about 4 miles out of pendleton on mission rd. walked back into town today, just got on the "la grande arrow" which the local Indian reservation operates at ZERO cost for riders, nice free 50 mile cruise with the doors on spotify.
They also have one from pendleton to walla walla
http://ctuir.org/bus.html

Hoping to hitch out of la grande, pass by ontario and right into nampa or boise by this evening..

Reactions: urchin

urchin

Reaction score
I never knew about the free bus. Huh. The Frisco , CO area has one too which goes through several towns before it ends in Dillon at the 70. I never took it that far though. I usually hitch near the moose in the town.

hitchingpdx

Reaction score
Stuck in le grande still.. The greyhound comes through at 1030 tonight, may attempt to sneak on unless my fortunes change.
Loaded up on some foods and liquid and decided to sleep across the street from the flying j on exit 265. Trains seem to run the tracks with the horn blaring constantly so I doubt I get much sleep, but the lot looks 10x fuller than earlier today. My prospects for catching a ride out early look good. Probably start around 6, but if I don't get anything before 10 am then I'll just start walking to baker city (39 miles)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    880 KB · Views: 287

hitchingpdx

Reaction score
Hard to believe you weren't picked up in La Grande. I was picked up by a guy in a sports car and got to fly his drone. Good shit.
Where did you hitch from?
I'm at the mission in nampa right now laying down. I usually prefer outside but I'm beat and needed a shower. Probably going to walk to boise starting around 6am.. Anyone got any tips from boise?

urchin

Reaction score
Ewww. You're at the Lighthouse? Come to the Rainbow Recovery clinic. It isn't far and they have some food here. I am there now.

Don't walk to Boise. Your best bet is the eastbound exit off Franklin boulevard. As far as Boise goes you might as well walk from there, there is almost nowhere for the cars to pull from. Are you going to Rainbow?

I hitched from some exit near a Starbucks In La Grande.

Reactions: hitchingpdx

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads