painting a gortex bivy sack

Parrot

Reaction score
i have a pretty sweet bivy but its bright blue and yellow. do you think i could paint it or stain it or something? has anyone ever done this?

D

Deleted member 20

Goretex is a breathable fabric that needs to be clean to be waterproof. If this bivy is in fact goretex I wouldnt fuck with it. Dont worry too much about being stealthy, just close your eyes when you go to sleep & be happy you are dry inside. I sleep with my olive/camo bivy blowing in the breeze on IMs & dont get a second look, most times.

D

Deleted member 20

I just thought of the coolest idea thanks to this thread how about a double bivy!!!!! Probably not practical ever but I routinely travel with just a goretex bivy & a small fleece throw blanket in the summer. I still get wet when sleeping in puddled up water some but wonder if I doubled up 2 bivys if it would work great in a rain storm. Kinda like a 3 dog night. NVM thats foolish but sounded as good as bringing my toaster oven on the megabus to sell sandwiches that time.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Found this thread about dying Goretex. There's some disagreement as to whether it can be done but some a couple people say they've done it. My guess is that it would turn out looking pretty weird.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I just thought of the coolest idea thanks to this thread how about a double bivy!!!!! Probably not practical ever but I routinely travel with just a goretex bivy & a small fleece throw blanket in the summer. I still get wet when sleeping in puddled up water some but wonder if I doubled up 2 bivys if it would work great in a rain storm. Kinda like a 3 dog night. NVM thats foolish but sounded as good as bringing my toaster oven on the megabus to sell sandwiches that time.

that makes me giggle. :D

Dmac

Reaction score
just buy a camouflaged rain poncho to put over the top. they are cheap and can be set up as a tarp/tent for real rainy days, just draped over and tucked in, use as a ground cloth or to camouflage your pack if needed. and you can still use it as rain gear. the one i have has snaps so you can snap it into a sleeping bag shape and put it around your bedroll. it also has eyelets for tying it up. also works as a lean-to or a windbreak/privacy screen. durable rip-stop material, light weight packs small.

D

Deleted member 2626

Ditto on the poncho. They are the shit. Beats rain gear which I still keep. The poncho is good for stealth and can cover you and your whole pack in rain. If you've ever been caught in rain you'll appreciate this, or at least till you find out

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads