Pacifism in Anarchism | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Pacifism in Anarchism

Dameon

Reaction score
Dameon and Zaphod's arguments against voting are logical and add up philosophically for the most part, but I have a hard time seeing how NOT voting is an ACTION or way of "not supporting the system." Not voting is just the LACK of an action. Like Zaphod said, arguing over whether to vote or not vote is a first-world, frivolous problem. So...... not voting is direct inaction? Drop-out-ism serves no purpose.

If you listen to Lupe Fiasco, you don't vote. If you listen to Chance the Rapper, you go vote.
It's a way of not supporting the system because if nobody participates, then the system collapses, and the fewer people vote, the more blatantly visible the corruption of the system becomes. It's not effective by itself; you have to be vocal about why you don't participate, and for real societal change it has to be paired with direct action. It's not a first-world problem, it applies anywhere that the democracy behind a vote has become corrupted. It applies especially in the US because our military technology has reached the point where I don't believe a citizen uprising is possible; the only effective means to bring down the government that I believe in is non-participation. If everybody ignores the dictator's commands, suddenly it's just a person with no authority. If there's a vote, and nobody votes, the winner rules with the consent of nobody. As long as you vote, the winner rules with your consent, even if it's not the person you voted for. You've agreed to play by their rules (even if they change the rules to suit them, and cheat), so you're not allowed to complain when they win, over and over, because they gave you a vote, didn't they?

But in the end, after all the manipulation and cheating and rule changes...did they actually give you a vote, or the illusion of a vote?

Reactions: CaptainCassius

junkpolecat99

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
So many anarchists would say that *representative* democracy is a scam, especially in the USA where calling new elections only happens in 2, 4, or 6 month periods.
Democracy is almost an essential ingredient for any government. The hard part of is figuring out how to make voting on legislation available to all members of society. Direct democracy is possible with just a lot of imagination and the right technology.

Drengor

Reaction score
Democracy is almost an essential ingredient for any government. The hard part of is figuring out how to make voting on legislation available to all members of society. Direct democracy is possible with just a lot of imagination and the right technology.

Direct democracy is an interesting topic! I went ahead and posted a huge spiel in another thread so as not to derail this one.

As for Pacifism in Anarchy:
the government doesn't feel bad when they order drone strikes against innocent women and children and invading countries for oil.
"The government" isn't really what you want to be talking about. The government is a collection of people, and you can be damn sure they understand the consequences, and that guy who pushes the button feels pretty shitty that night when the shower isn't washing off the blood. Here's a quote from a former drone pilot that wasn't too hard to find: "You had to kill part of your conscience to keep doing your job every day – and ignore those voices telling you this wasn't right.” People have souls, and see the evil, and every day more and more stand with those against all sorts of evils out there.

That's what peaceful protest is about. Get the message out there, be seen and heard, and wait patiently for the evil to be outnumbered, understood, and disappear in its own time. It's about not putting your heel to someones neck just because they put theirs to another's. You can't kill all the murderers in the world: there will always be one, unless they die of old age.

For me violence has its time. It's a very selective time, and I hope that if and when that time comes for me, I know how to execute solely the minimum violence required of me. Until then I'll go about searching for and offering peaceful resolutions and group consensuses to problems I find myself in. Like Zaphod said, I'm thankful for mixed tactics and those who rightfully and effectively use them, and hope to see them in the next, peaceful age.

junkpolecat99

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Democracy just needs some more consensus added to make it safer for individual rights.
I was kicked out of a cooperative house based on a 51% vote. It was stupid and unfair.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads