Owning land? | Squat the Planet

Owning land?

rusty

Reaction score
A little rant,

Hey guys, been on and off the road for 10 years now. Seeing new places, meeting amazing people and experiencing new cultures. Always at the bottom of this travel I've been searching for a place to exist whether its a minute, a night or a month. In my wandering I've found that I'm not alone in this.

Ive discovered recently, the times ive been content, if not close to something they call happy, with my living situation. Its been in encampments, political occupations, or visiting faerie sancturies.

By political occupation, i mean squats, occupy, standing rock etc.

I firmly believe in housing as a right and not a privledge, yet i still find myself homeless and wandering. Living off the "help" of others that have adjusted well to this society.

I want to have somewhere to go back to, a place myself and others can find refuge from this insane reality. Im told owning land, is a solution. To me its seems a trap, another problem another bill, something i can still lose at any moment reguardless of the size of the paper that says i "own" it.

I struggle with this. Will i really never have a place to exist unless i own land? Will i be able to live free on that land? Or just be dragged back into a system that oppresses me to work to pay for some empty promise?

Ill likely head back to Slab City while i contemplate this..

If anyone on here has successfully aquired land in any way and set up alternative housing, without getting fucked with by the government and adding to their troubles, please reach out and let me know this is possible. I read a lot of hopeful threads of spots starting or being planned, but then nothing..

Thanks guys<3

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
check out some of the off grid groups (search off grid) on facebook - I'm on a few and while some have their retirement homes on there and are all solar powered etc etc - there are others who have a "tiny home" on a few acres of land they call their own and live on what they make - they raise chickens, may have a pig, have some goats, garden - most solar panel - others start out without electricity - then there is water and "bathroom" time. I would love to do this and have talked to several who have. Plus we may also have some resources here (not sure) that are in our Library (links at the top of this site). And good luck!!!

Dahloaf223

Reaction score
A little rant,

Hey guys, been on and off the road for 10 years now. Seeing new places, meeting amazing people and experiencing new cultures. Always at the bottom of this travel I've been searching for a place to exist whether its a minute, a night or a month. In my wandering I've found that I'm not alone in this.

Ive discovered recently, the times ive been content, if not close to something they call happy, with my living situation. Its been in encampments, political occupations, or visiting faerie sancturies.

By political occupation, i mean squats, occupy, standing rock etc.

I firmly believe in housing as a right and not a privledge, yet i still find myself homeless and wandering. Living off the "help" of others that have adjusted well to this society.

I want to have somewhere to go back to, a place myself and others can find refuge from this insane reality. Im told owning land, is a solution. To me its seems a trap, another problem another bill, something i can still lose at any moment reguardless of the size of the paper that says i "own" it.

I struggle with this. Will i really never have a place to exist unless i own land? Will i be able to live free on that land? Or just be dragged back into a system that oppresses me to work to pay for some empty promise?

Ill likely head back to Slab City while i contemplate this..

If anyone on here has successfully aquired land in any way and set up alternative housing, without getting fucked with by the government and adding to their troubles, please reach out and let me know this is possible. I read a lot of hopeful threads of spots starting or being planned, but then nothing..

Thanks guys<3
It's very possible. Personally I feel the same way and like having a spot for a home base. I think if it as a back up plan and investment.
The best way to do it is to know what resources you have that can help meet your needs once you are on a peice of land, like eBay, craft, freelance work, fixing cars. Also just growing food or harvesting water.
Different areas of the country, especially Western states have laxed or even know building ordinances. Land and tax are cheaper too. I know az taxes are super low.
Also make friends with your neighbors, get rides into town, supplies, knowledge, etc.

D

Deleted member 2626

hey i acquired land pretty luckiley from my parents divorce a few years ago and they both agreeably parted with it and so then my dad sold it to me for 5000 dollars, more money than ive had in years and i had to work two kind of shitty part time jobs to oay him off. anywho. my place is a 12x12 off grid and mostly recycled homestead. It attached to the ground on 6x6s so I got in trouble for not having proper shitting facility and have to put in a tank. total of it all, permit and such is about 700 bucks. But if not attached, tipi or camper you can probably get away with less. some places in oregon and washington are okay with like a covered hole. . . i love my place and taxes are dirt cheap to live and I remain calling it a "camp" not residence. I had a pack animal for a month or so and still no issues. shitter want even in yet and still isnt when i was there 3 months in summer. im on the west coast till spring but willbe back and give my sometimes employer and friend some weed to dig my privy hole. good luck

rusty

Reaction score
hey i acquired land pretty luckiley from my parents divorce a few years ago and they both agreeably parted with it and so then my dad sold it to me for 5000 dollars, more money than ive had in years and i had to work two kind of shitty part time jobs to oay him off. anywho. my place is a 12x12 off grid and mostly recycled homestead. It attached to the ground on 6x6s so I got in trouble for not having proper shitting facility and have to put in a tank. total of it all, permit and such is about 700 bucks. But if not attached, tipi or camper you can probably get away with less. some places in oregon and washington are okay with like a covered hole. . . i love my place and taxes are dirt cheap to live and I remain calling it a "camp" not residence. I had a pack animal for a month or so and still no issues. shitter want even in yet and still isnt when i was there 3 months in summer. im on the west coast till spring but willbe back and give my sometimes employer and friend some weed to dig my privy hole. good luck

Thats sick, what part of the us are you in? Seems location is crucial on the getting fucked with level. Yea its good 2 kno the codes for structures, like building something like a shed to crash in. So long as it doesnt have a foundation or exceed a certain amount of sq ft. What kind of pack animal did u have? Always wanted a mule myself.

Last edited:

rusty

Reaction score
check out some of the off grid groups (search off grid) on facebook - I'm on a few and while some have their retirement homes on there and are all solar powered etc etc - there are others who have a "tiny home" on a few acres of land they call their own and live on what they make - they raise chickens, may have a pig, have some goats, garden - most solar panel - others start out without electricity - then there is water and "bathroom" time. I would love to do this and have talked to several who have. Plus we may also have some resources here (not sure) that are in our Library (links at the top of this site). And good luck!!!
Not on the fb. But thanks for the recommendation. Electric seems nice but not crucial. Ive seen a lot of peeps work off a generator when getting started. I guess its about if someones going to come around and be like "hey you gotta get on the grid" or "shitting in a hole is a public saftey hazard!" Lol etc etc.

Laski North

Reaction score
Don't own land myself, but I live in Alaska and I know many people who have bought land that they legally own forever and I hear that Alaska is one of the best place's to do such a thing because there's so much rural terrain and unbought land. Most of my friends who own land have bought acres and acres of natural land in the middle of nowhere and just planted a trailer or camper there to settle.

junkpolecat99

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
What region do you prefer living at? Have you ever been to the Dancing Rabbit place in Missouri? One of my high school buddies is building his own house on their land trust. If you decide that you might be interested in Michigan, there is a lot of cheap land in Flint and it's a pretty cool place with a good music scene - or Detroit too. I would like to start some sort of cooperative that's similar to the University of Chicago's cooperative network that takes non-students and people of all ages. It could be a hostel as well. Those are my ideas and goals.

Here is a link for the Gennessee County Land Bank where you can buy property or houses for only $100: http://www.thelandbank.org/residential.asp

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Loony Bin and rusty

Dahloaf223

Reaction score
Don't own land myself, but I live in Alaska and I know many people who have bought land that they legally own forever and I hear that Alaska is one of the best place's to do such a thing because there's so much rural terrain and unbought land. Most of my friends who own land have bought acres and acres of natural land in the middle of nowhere and just planted a trailer or camper there to settle.
Alaska is my next stop. I think their is a lot going on up there. I'm into mineral claims too, and it's like the holy grail of states to get one. Haven't ever done paperwork on one yet though. Even though AZ is an okay state to work one. If you have a car you could stay on it too if you were actively mining.

rusty

Reaction score
What region do you prefer living at? Have you ever been to the Dancing Rabbit place in Missouri? One of my high school buddies is building his own house on their land trust. If you decide that you might be interested in Michigan, there is a lot of cheap land in Flint and it's a pretty cool place with a good music scene - or Detroit too. I would like to start some sort of cooperative that's similar to the University of Chicago's cooperative network that takes non-students and people of all ages. It could be a hostel as well. Those are my ideas and goals.

Here is a link for the Gennessee County Land Bank where you can buy property or houses for only $100: http://www.thelandbank.org/residential.asp

I've seen a bunch of undeveloped land (what i usually look at) on govdeals.com and the like for 100$ but they are usually tax sale, and not and actual title for the land. As far as michigan i guess theyre just really trying to get people to move into those homes theyre demolishing everyday, which is good. Seems someone would have to move in and borrow loads of money from the bank to fix em up. You live in flint? Hows that working out for people, do you know anyone whos aquired a house this way?

Thanks for letting me know about the dancing rabbit, ive never been to an ecovillage before, ive heard about them through wwoofing but im def interested in checking them out. A very useful point in the right direction.

Let me know how your co op planning goes, ive stayed at a few chill hostels, and always wanted to incorporate that model into different warehouses ive lived. Even ifs just have a room full of bunk beds. I want to see more beds for travelers in ours cities either cheap or for work trade, and community kitchens too. So much time spent looking for a wifi, an outlet, a public bathroom, a place to chill. Its ridiculous to have to pay to exist, every single place you go. Hah ranting again

Reactions: marmar
D

Deleted member 2626

My place is in Northern pa decently desolate country loads of public land. We built my place using a generator. I don't use vehicles much anymore but at the time I hauled lumber with my grandpas trailer and my dad brought up his work van with some tools. Had a donkey. I just go without wifi and all that. I go to library or a village bar and download movies or reading material. Place doesn't care anyway. As well use a little self contained phone solar charger. Even charge my tablet on it which takes a whole day of good sun. I

junkpolecat99

Banned
Reaction score
I've never been to a homeless shelter or an ecovillage either. I've had trouble with hostels and cooperatives, getting kicked out for petty or no reason at all. It's hard. So, if I had the money I would like to help other people out like me that maybe are having a hard time or are a bit of an outcast. If I was better at planning and coordinating and had personal networking and business skills, I could probably make the cooperative thing happen much easier and with less funds.

But I have to say as being new to this website - it's encouraging to meet intelligent people that want to live alternative lifestyles but also make some changes. Good ideas sometimes spread based on word of mouth and setting a good example. So many Americans don't even know what a hostel or cooperative is - and it's nice to open their mind and worldview. The first step is probably to apply for the cooperatives at the U of Chicago to get my foot in the door but it is likely pretty competitive to get in.
My favorite thing about cooperatives is that it makes your life much more fulfilling. Not only do you get to live in a efficient, social atmosphere with lots of things to do, you conveniently live with friends that have similar interests and you can collaborate with.

Reactions: Loony Bin

rusty

Reaction score
  • Stupid
Reactions: junkpolecat99

mouse

Reaction score

Real property (land and any improvements) is a lever which governments can and will use to extract revenue.

One can "own" a parcel of land free and clear but:
  • fail to pay tribute (ie, property taxes) to the local entitiy and the property can be seized and auctioned. When the mafia does this it is called "extortion"; "Nice coupla acres you got there. It'd be a shame if anything happened to it."
  • Use it in a manner of your choosing, like off-grid living, and be fined for breaking arbitrary and authoritarian zoning laws
  • fail to develop it to its highest economic (tax-generating) level and the state can name its own price to buy it by force (eminent domain)
  • piss off the local law/govt and get it seized under civil asset forfeiture with no charges being leveled, no evidence presented, nothing
At this moment I am sitting on a parcel of land which has been "owned" by my family since the 1970s. My life plans used to revolve around this land. I still love the land but am no longer under the illusion that it affords me any real protection.

tempest4two

Reaction score
I live in Sierra Blanca, TX. The land here is primitive but workable. It goes for around 450-700 an acre in 20 acre tracts starting at $99 a month. We only have 2 rules as far as county codes and contracts go. No swine and a permanent structure must have an inspected septic tank. Beyond that you can pretty much build what and how you want. Even our county attorney built his house in adobe. Many put or build sheds to stay in. Others like myself are using aircrete, cob, pallets, yurts.......

Reactions: Phuen and Jerrell

junkpolecat99

Banned
Reaction score
I live in Sierra Blanca, TX. The land here is primitive but workable. It goes for around 450-700 an acre in 20 acre tracts starting at $99 a month. We only have 2 rules as far as county codes and contracts go. No swine and a permanent structure must have an inspected septic tank. Beyond that you can pretty much build what and how you want. Even our county attorney built his house in adobe. Many put or build sheds to stay in. Others like myself are using aircrete, cob, pallets, yurts.......

A town of 500? I gotta see this place.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
If you haven't used your student loans yet, go to a cheap college and get the maximum loan package you can get. Then get it disbursed in cash and use that to buy land outright, get on income based repayment, and as long as you make less than 10k a year (legally), your monthly payment on the loans will be zero. Grab some credit cards too, while you're at it.. then drop off the grid

Reactions: rusty and Drengor

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads