Omaha NB?

D

Deleted member 14481

Hello folx,

I'm looking at heading down to Omaha in Spring, and I'm wondering what the resources out there are like. I'll be coming down with a bike (if I get a ride), a pack, and warehouse and construction employable. I don't know anyone in the area, and I'll need food and a place to stay, until I get on my feet. I'm ok with being in a shelter, and I'm going to get food stamps asap. I have a hammock, but I'm not so good at camping. I would rather sleep in a park, instead of the woods.

That being if my cards continue to read Omaha better than the other locations I'm considering. Things could change.

If you're willing to help, I appreciate it. If you have resources you would rather pm me, feel free.

Thanks so much for reading!

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have passed through Omaha Nebraska so many times I can't count it on my fingers and toes. You said that you want to stay in a park and not camping. I would suggest you do a search engine search on bad or unstable neighborhoods in Omaha to give you information so you can avoid these places, you don't want to get jacked, stabbed or whatever. Is the shelter in a good area? Just things to think about.

Anyone from Omaha or who has stayed there for a while from StP can help. I can use some useful info myself.

Dmac

Reaction score
There are several shelters in the area, not counting the one I know of in Council Bluffs. The Stephen Center, by metro tech, (and bus transfer station) is probably the best, and in a good area. Siena Francis House is right by downtown and the library, there are usually someone giving away lunches around there every day and the main food pantries are in this area too. The Open Door Mission/Lydia House is north of downtown by the airport and is in the worst area. The shelter in Council Bluffs isn’t far from the UP line and benefits are better in Iowa than Nebraska , I think anyway.

The bus system isn’t great, but they have racks to put your bike on. And with a bike you can get most places easily enough. Worst part of town is the northeast part, north of downtown and east of 42nd.

Johny

Reaction score
If you're going to shelter up go to Fremont , plus should be relatively easy to get some sort of job there , keep an eye on flooding .
Also I wouldn't advise sleeping in a park anywhere around here .
Ppl are snobby

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads