News & Blogs - Oakland Locals Organise to Honor Joseph Stack | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Oakland Locals Organise to Honor Joseph Stack

earliest

Reaction score
Oakland locals mobilize to honor Joseph Stack with a candle light vigil

Oakland locals have organized an open and public candlelight vigil to this evening at five PM in response to Joseph Stack's act of dissent against the IRS yesterday morning in Austin Texas. The focus will be to engage in discussion about the truth surrounding his actions and in doing so to honor him and the two casualties of his attack. We will be gathering at 2000 San Pablo Avenue in front of the welfare office and walking together to the IRS building half a mile away. In the spirit of commemoration and reverence, we will be reading his suicide manifesto.

Similar displays of affinity and solidarity have begun organizing in Portland, Chicago, and New York.

Attached is a link to his manifesto. Joseph Stack is a comrade and a hero. He died in an act of resistance. It is evident in his writing that he is such. Rallying behind him is a tactic to ensure that his true motivations are not lost to the bullshit propaganda.

http://www.businessinsider.com/joseph-andrew-stacks-insane-manifesto-2010-2

I'd like to encourage anyone who feels as strongly about this man's contribution to our struggle against capitalism to consider taking similar actions. This is a time at which we have the attention of the world and the powers at be on us, and if we are able to mobilize and utilize this, we have the potential to gain a great deal of momentum. I don't know how everyone else feels about this, and I know I have many friends who disagree with Joseph Stack's actions, but I feel that its very important to understand the opportunity that we have been afforded at the expense of this man's life.

"I choose to not keep looking over my shoulder at “big brother” while he strips my carcass, I choose not to ignore what is going on all around me, I choose not to pretend that business as usual won’t continue; I have just had enough. I can only hope that the numbers quickly get too big to be white washed and ignored that the American zombies wake up and revolt; it will take nothing less."
-Joe Stack 1956-2010

In solidarity,
Ryann

lice

Reaction score
i support the cause but i cannot support the murder of innocent people(believe it or not the victims were someones kids dude).you dont fight fire with fire. he is no better than our current violent government. he died like a coward and i have no respect for him whatsoever. If we the people ever want a "revolution" we cannot instill it with violence. "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -Isaac Asimov.

nobo

Reaction score
lice, i have to question your statements here. what about "the cause" do you support? If you don't fight fire with fire, what do you fight it with? Those victims definitely were someones kids, and that's sad. but why take a job where youre ONLY job is to DIRECTLY fuck people over? and don't tell me that its just a job or they need to make money etc. etc. thats a cop out. in my opinion he IS better than our current government because he was honest. he wrote that last statement saying EXACTLY why he was acting out, when was the last time the government was honest....? if we don't instill a revolution with violence what do we do? how many petitions will it take to bring about ANY change...? the answer = none. although his methods were controversial, what Joseph stack did could be (arguably) revolutionary if only because he brought attention to a huge issue in the United States...like why the fuck does our government steal from us every chance they get? maybe this will bring about some sort of change even on a small level like a hand full of people quitting their jobs at the IRS because they feel unsafe...or maybe EVERYONE at the IRS quits because they feel unsafe....I think thats the point of these actions and that is where the effectiveness lies.
ok sorry for the rant.

LovelyAcorns

Reaction score
i support the cause but i cannot support the murder of innocent people(believe it or not the victims were someones kids dude).
Are you serious? I always thought humans came from either sugar and spice and everything nice or frogs and snails and puppy dog tails! Why do you liberals actually believe stating a basic biological fact (humans procreate) is going to create an emotional impact?

And what the hell does "innocence" have anything to do with life inside the united states?

you dont fight fire with fire. he is no better than our current violent government.
You really put him on the same level as the US government? The death of one and hospitalisation of two is the same level as the combined horrors of the US? Really? That's less an insult of him, and more the glorification of the government. I have the feeling you're the type, who if someone cuts in front of you in line, screams "You're worse than Hitler!!!!" and believes it. Scale, quantity, motives, goals - grab a dictionary and look those up.

he died like a coward and i have no respect for him whatsoever.

It amazes me the logic that allows for the logic "Dying for something you believe in is cowardly, petitions are bravery!" We must have very different definitions of cowardice, mine is "a selfish avoidance of pain, death, or difficulty" and yours is "anything I don't like". Please, when trying to insult something, at least learn the definitions of the adjectives! They are not all interchangeable as pacifists seem to believe.

If we the people ever want a "revolution" we cannot instill it with violence.
I don't want a "revolution", I want a revolution.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -Isaac Asimov.
Oh, if a science fiction writer believes it, it must be true. Same reason why I'm joining Scientology.

earliest

Reaction score

YES. I'm shocked at how many people fail to see the importance, let alone the merit of these events in terms of revolutionary struggle. He's the first American to commit an act like this in the name of communism since the events that helped propel the country into WWII. I feel as though if we don't want this to become another part of government control and rhetoric to further manipulate the public then its absolutely necessary for all anti-capitalists to stand beside this man and refuse to allow his actions to become another foothold of propaganda.

LarZ

Reaction score

Amen.

I don't necessarily think violence is the best way to get messages across and it is of course unfortunate when people are killed, but at the same time I feel that it is the only option for a satisfactory outcome. Yes, it would be ideal if we could just sign some papers, cast some votes and be done with it but unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. It has gotten to the point that swift, efficient, and powerful actions are called for.

I fully support Joseph Stack and his efforts. I wish I had been by my computer yesterday, I am only an hour from Oakland and would have liked to participated. Did anyone go?

earliest

Reaction score
Yes. It was small and quiet. There will be another vigil next this coming Wednesday, with more publicity and a larger turnout. There are many people organizing further actions this week. There's already tons of graffiti all over west Oakland quoting him and stuff, its really cool. I'll send you a message with some more details.

lice

Reaction score
hmm such hostility lol
in my OPINION a murderer is a murderer no matter what the motives. people need to get more creative if they think violence is the only way their voice can be heard.

nobo

Reaction score
not to keep harping on you lice....but that's yet another dead end statement! what are you saying people should do? what is creative in your OPINION?

brobro!

Reaction score
lice, i agree with you, murder is murder no matter what the motives are, but keep in mind conventional ways of influencing out government simply dont work anymore. if you put things in perspective, the people who founded this country were viewed as terrorists. thomas paine also believed that in order for america to not corrupt and become exactly what it is today, we would need small revolutions every so often. correct me if im wrong, it may have not been thomas paine who said that. the corporations influencing our government, and the politicians themselves dont care about anything except their paycheck, and staying in office.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads