News & Blogs NYC Doctors Allegedly Used Free Shoes to Lure Homeless Into Medicaid Fraud

Preacher

Reaction score
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/doctors-used-homeless-medicaid-fraud-scheme

NYC Doctors Allegedly Used Free Shoes to Lure Homeless Into Medicaid Fraud
Prosecutors charge that patients underwent days of unnecessary testing.
—By Bryan Schatz | Wed Apr. 1, 2015 4:20 PM EDT
homeless_in_sugamo_2.jpg

Jim Fischer/Flickr

Nine New York City physicians and 14 other medical workers have been charged with fraudulently billing Medicaid $7 million dollars in expenses for homeless and poor patients whom they convinced to undergo unnecessary medical testing in exchange for free shoes, Reuters reports.

Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson said in a statement: "These defendants allegedly exploited the most vulnerable members of our society and raked in millions of dollars by doing so."

The doctors allegedly offered the "guinea pigs"—as the medical workers referred to the homeless and poor patients they recruited from shelters and welfare centers—a free pair of kicks if they produced a Medicaid card and agreed to have their feet examined. Prosecutors said that in some cases the patients underwent unneeded physical therapy, extensive testing that sometimes lasted days, and were given leg braces and other pieces of equipment they had no use for.

Daniel Coyne, deputy Medicaid inspector general for investigations, told Reuters that by getting the arbitrary testing, the patients' actual medical problems could have gone untreated.

If convicted, the doctors face up to 25 years in prison.

K

Kim Chee

An honest legal system would be sending medical providers to prison, instead the homeless will probably have their shoes stolen and they'll get jail time.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
@7xMichael - when my Mom was a kid in Jersey Shore, PA - they were pushing the DDT to kill the mosquitoes and other nasties that were giving the diseases ... so ... they had trucks go through the city pumping out the DDT - with a voice on microphone to OPEN YOUR WINDOWS AND LET THE GAS IN!! My Grandmother kept it all closed and kept the kids inside and put towels around the window and door sills. Mom lived in an extremely poor section of the town.

• Sad
Reactions: drewski

Preacher

Reaction score
@7xMichael - when my Mom was a kid in Jersey Shore, PA - they were pushing the DDT to kill the mosquitoes and other nasties that were giving the diseases ... so ... they had trucks go through the city pumping out the DDT - with a voice on microphone to OPEN YOUR WINDOWS AND LET THE GAS IN!! My Grandmother kept it all closed and kept the kids inside and put towels around the window and door sills. Mom lived in an extremely poor section of the town.

She didn't blindly listen to the Gum-ment? That's pretty Un-Amurican. Doesn't want clouds of gas wafting in her window? ::bored:: Doesn't matter that she was completely correct and it was a carcinogen. Where the hell would we be if everybody started thinking for themselves? Sheesh. Sounds like she'd be against them fracking in her backyard. Dam trouble makers. ::facepalm::

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Yeah - Mom is 80 yrs old - that was like she was 6 yrs old. Way back when you listened to the good word. My Grandmother had lots of sense to her.

Reactions: Preacher

drewski

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Holy fuck. Just reading that was scary as hell! I would have done the same thing. She was a smart woman that's for sure.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads