Next year headin out! | Squat the Planet

Next year headin out!

Twoflower

We are condemned to be free
Reaction score
Work is closing down my dept at the end of the year and since the world is the way it is, i'll be riding on my saving to see how long I can last.
First step is hitching/ train hopping(if anyone could show me the ropes in syracuse) down to GA to start the AT by March.
Maybe bum around TN a bit before.
See yall out there <3

Applelatchun

Reaction score
Been watching videos on the AT. There are some good ones on youtube. The girl "homemade wanderlust" has done all 3 in North America. She's a triple crown hiker. Check her out. Good luck!

Reactions: Twoflower

Twoflower

Reaction score
Thanks! From what I've researched my plan was to go north out of Albany to avoid going through NYC which I imagine is tough. If you know those rails I'd love it if you'd give me pointers on my plan here:

catch out in albany going North
Make sure you are west bound at Syracuse
Clevland is tricky Take west most train if you pass stongville you are on the wrong one
Past Crestline is A change over, Go south bound to Galion
Keep taking Southmost train past columbus both work

Easten path: South till Prestonburg KY then head east
Southwest out of Dwale
West out of Martin
Start North out of Cornettsville
Connect at Clarke going south**

Western path: South towards cambell out of Cinncinati
Southwest toward madison at Clarke**
South at Corbin towart whitley
South East toward Clinton to knoxville
Hope off at CartersVille or if East at Etowah then McCaysville
Hitch to Blueridge
McCaysville is closest to the start

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
So when it comes to train hopping, unless you've done it 100x before and recently, anything that planned out is pretty unlikely to play out the way you think. Like, one wrong train and that whole plan is fucked. You might wake up in Canada, you might wake up in Scranton, Binghamton ect... When you factor in the fact that you're talking about doing this in the winter in upstate NY and the likely hood of snow drifts and what not changing up schedules I really wouldn't recommend it.

Like I said south from Philly is cake. I don't know if it still runs but there used to be a hotshot from Binghamton to Knoxville, which I would also highly recommend over this.

Reactions: Twoflower
D

Deleted member 29173

@Twoflower Respectfully, take your train research notes and throw them in the trash. Those lines dont work like that. You were on the right track about catching westbound from Syracuse, then Cleveland. But that's all. Id second what @Beegod Santana. Said and reccomend going to Philly then south. One train to Georgia. Otherwise youre going to Chicago (very likely NOT to Crestline, OH) and trying to figure it out from there.

Have you done much overnight camping on steel with high winds, in the dead of winter?

Twoflower

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips my dude! Yeah it was just something I made looking around to show I wasnt trying to be spoon fed info but put in work but wasnt planning on using it without stumbling across someone first to show me. I'll check into Philly and see what its all about.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads