Newbie Here!

Gamer197

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Jeremiah and I'm actually about to set out on my first solo trip across the states while using the volunteer exchange site Workaway. I'd gladly welcome and appreciate any tips you could give me. I'm nervous but I'm not at the same time. I'll also be hitchhiking most of the way and I honestly can't wait for that because It's forcing me out of my comfort zone. First destination will be Oregon!

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Jeremiah and I'm actually about to set out on my first solo trip across the states while using the volunteer exchange site Workaway. I'd gladly welcome and appreciate any tips you could give me. I'm nervous but I'm not at the same time. I'll also be hitchhiking most of the way and I honestly can't wait for that because It's forcing me out of my comfort zone. First destination will be Oregon!

Where are you going to Oregon from? It's been a while (2013-'19), but I've hitched through Oregon both north and south on the 5, and had a real rough day hitchhiking and walking along Route 66 from Ashland to K Falls, which is where I went on to start to learn to ride freight.

Also, please keep us updated on how Workaway goes for you! The community I was staying at when I got back to Washington state last year in May had a guest from that website, but I don't think it went to well for us or him. I don't know though, sort of came at the tail end of it.

Gamer197

Reaction score
Where are you going to Oregon from? It's been a while (2013-'19), but I've hitched through Oregon both north and south on the 5, and had a real rough day hitchhiking and walking along Route 66 from Ashland to K Falls, which is where I went on to start to learn to ride freight.

Also, please keep us updated on how Workaway goes for you! The community I was staying at when I got back to Washington state last year in May had a guest from that website, but I don't think it went to well for us or him. I don't know though, sort of came at the tail end of it.

I'm headed to Bend from California! I've heard it's amazing there! Hitchhiking for the first time I know is going to make me nervous. Especially when there could be a chance that I don't get a ride

transcendentalhobo

Reaction score
Good luck! I've heard Bend is nice, but I still haven't been by there. Northern California has been really easy to hitch in, in my experience both on the 101 and the 5. I thought Oregon was better for the most part outside of the Portland area since you can walk on the Interstates there. I've waited pretty long for rides sometimes, but just starting to walk has been a nice thing to be able to do.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads