New zealand | Squat the Planet

New zealand

makan kotoran

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone one had had any tips on new Zealand. Anyone had experience hopping there, I know that I found a video of someone on a train in NZ ages ago. Any one found any timetables.
Also just cool things to do, places to go and good spots to go be a mountain bum,
cheers

K

Kim Chee

I haven't been to NZ (I bet it is nice this time of year though). I googled NZ: population 5M. I also looked at it on Google Earth and I didn't see a plethora of units like you might see in a large city in the U.S. and given the fact that the population is so low leads me to believe that the trains are not only infrequent but short. So, if they do have a rideable train you're probably going to be sitting pretty close to the crew if/when you get on. I don't think they are as security conscious down there (but I may be wrong). Possibly phone the rail yard posing as a railfan tourist and inquire as to schedules as you have already spent the better part of 2 days of your 7 day vacation waiting for a freight to photograph and that you already have plenty of passenger train photos.:cool: If you can pull this off in person, better yet. They may feel for you and tell you all. Be sure to post your pics, yeah?

Sam and Laura

Reaction score
Arthurs pass and surrounding towns to the west. Hosts of empty villages, cold, but you will find a house for yourself.....with that said, dont go, nz sucks

makan kotoran

Reaction score
@ micheal.
Thanks for putting in the effort and having a look at things for me.
And yeah, there aren't as many trains around as in the states.
But like here in Australia there are no bulls and the yards are not
Really monitored much. And yeah I'm pretty sure they don't have hotshots. But
The IMs would still be atleast 800m long. And there are plenty of mineral trains that
Probably maintain the 1500-2000m long Stanard, although this is just an educated guess
From looking at line maps and doing some reading.

@ Sam and Laura. Sounds great, thanks, is this the north or
South island?

dprogram

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm planning on meeting someone in Australia once I get my funds in order for the flight. She's in Adelaide now but returning to Melbourne when I'm able to make it down. Anyone have any experience with bumming it there? My friend is generally housed up and I dont know exactly what our situation will be when I get there...as in where I'll be living and all.

Sam and Laura

Reaction score
whoops sorry for the late reply.
Arthurs Pass is in the south island about 2 hours west of christchurch.
if you're flying you'll get into to Auckland. Hitching is really easy in NZ though you still get the surprised looks from people at seeing hitchers.
Also, I manged to bargin my way on various little fishing boats across the islands...weather can be tough. I hid in the boot of a car on one crossing once, and vowed never to do so again...three hours man.
Your not going to be able to hop any trains in NZ, I lived there eight years, and never saw any freights, and, well the place is not as liberal as it makes out to be.
Again, mountain bum head to Arthurs Pass...Up north there'sthe coromandel, which is considered the alternative part of the country. Its beautiful and the climate is good, but it's full off awful hippy types (60 dollars on organic dypers.....)

Flying Kiwi

Reaction score
Having grown up on the Coromandel, I'd like to point out the nappies don't cost NEARLY 60 bucks!! 45 at best! ;) And as far as awful hippie types go, I wouldn't really go that far!

The rail scene in NZ isn't great to be honest, there are a few mineral trains as were mentioned above but not a whole lot really. Hitching is your best bet, I've gone top to bottom and back 5 times now without having a problem of getting stuck or picked up by crazies!

I'd say another place worth a visit is Golden Bay at the top of the South Island, very very chiil, easy to find work fruit picking (In season) and camping is a breeze! Also the Republic of Whangamomona, along the Forgotten World Highway. A very interesting little spot, and not one you'll find much about elsewhere. Go on the right day and you'll get a passport stamp and all. Just don't even think about hitching down Forgotten World Highway, the name is really no joke! The road is only about 150 km long, with around 1200 twists and turns (Counted out by Uncle Wal on his Ducatti)

A very strange town but worth a look!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads