New, want to travel to Florida

trippyrapunzel

Reaction score
Hey my name is Catherine Faith Jones, I have a puppy pit puppy named Poseidon. I love animals, I have 6 in total and I work at a doggie daycare. I really want to travel, and live outside a lil maybe for a month or so. Just gotta find a place to get started. Preferably warm places like Florida, not a fan of the cold. I live in Georgia right now. Oh and has anyone heard of the long hair ranch??

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Seriously, why does everyone want to go to FL, I hear it sucks. yet again, go west, young one. Welcome, you will have all the support and info you need here on StP. There are ALOT of people on here near where you are and currently traveling. Good luck!

Saeglopur

Reaction score
The west is fantastic...and expensive. Then again, everywhere can be done on the cheap if you know what you're doing. Both Florida and parts further west have their ups and downs. I myself have spent most of my adult life in and around socal. Home sweet filthy city home...Would I go back...meh. My opinion is guided specifically on a maritime and or life spent in direct relation to the sea. I prefer the warmer waters that Fl has to offer. But it can be a shite redneck place. If you in any way enjoy the boating lifestyle there is cheap living in the mooring fields around Key west...you wopuld of course need a boat. Cheers! And may the horizon always take you far!

D

Desert

make a stop in Pensacola...clean water and beaches. You can usually get away with sleeping on the beach for a night. It does kinda suck though. It rains every day and salty air gets annoying. Cops in Florida are generally OK with travelers but out of state tags, busking, flying a sign and spanging usually attract their attention. Anywhere on the Gulf side is pretty laid back (Panama City, etc..). Stay the fuck out of St. Augustine if you are broke...always had trouble getting out of there.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
What part of GA are you in miss? There can be some nice places to go around those parts. I myself like St. Augustine I'll probably be there within the month myself but dare not to venture much further south. Also how will you be getting around? All in all Florida can be alright as long as your not hitch hiking. It can be expensive tho.

Reactions: travelingjoe

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i agree, i can't imagine why anyone would want to go to florida. it's a traveler's hell. texas is better than florida.

D

Desert

i agree, i can't imagine why anyone would want to go to florida. it's a traveler's hell. texas is better than florida.

I'll take Texas over Florida any day. I have never had anything but good luck and kindness in Texas. In Panama City, I was sleeping in a Walmart parking, in my truck, and a cop woke me up three times..."to ensure that I wasn't trafficking drugs." That being said, Pensacola is a place of healing for me. After a few weeks in NOLA, it's always my next stop. I had to sell two guitars to get out of St. Augustine. Can't busk in the Historic downtown areas where all the tourists are...not a fan.

Reaction score
Welcome trippyrapunzel~
I hope your journey is riddled with truths and experiences however you shld honestly ***avoid*** Florida at all cost esp if youre traveling alone as a young & beautiful girl.. It is not safe or recommended imo as a fellow chick.
Go west- seriously, think Cali or if you cant go that far, check out Tx- crystal beach has free year round camping, all you need is warm gear & $ for a ferry ride & it is ridiculously safe. There are also squatting ops out there if you look....
Also, word of advice, carry protection of some sort and do not be too trusting or naive in any way.. It could seriously risk your life.
Be smart, plan accordingly, have people to stay in touch w on your journey in case something does go awry.
If you ever need anything, dont hesitate to reach out to me.
Much love
●Jazzy●

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
fuck man.. st. augie is, theoretically, my current home..
i remember some kids on skateboards..one, just learning, fell & was crying about her ankle.. some cops walked up, looked at her & bitched her out..
i had to fucking yell at them, literally, almost verbatim "Officers!! this citizen is injured and has told you! You are required to report the emergency!".. they looked at me like they were going to fucking bust me..
i bitched them a little more & they finally put through their fucking call..

what a fucking shame..

the only place good in florida is if you're moored someplace you can row in from..

D

Desert

fuck man.. st. augie is, theoretically, my current home..
i remember some kids on skateboards..one, just learning, fell & was crying about her ankle.. some cops walked up, looked at her & bitched her out..
i had to fucking yell at them, literally, almost verbatim "Officers!! this citizen is injured and has told you! You are required to report the emergency!".. they looked at me like they were going to fucking bust me..
i bitched them a little more & they finally put through their fucking call..

what a fucking shame..

the only place good in florida is if you're moored someplace you can row in from..

Doesn't surprise me at all. Always get hassled there. Still love Pensacola though. Sharks, rednecks, police, snakes, jaguars and rain...Florida is a travelers dream.

ohh

Reaction score
Don't listen!!!! I fucking love FL, its my home state and I'd never settle down anywhere else. THERE'S FUCKING CARNIVOROUS PLANTS, who can seriously hate that? Stay out of Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville and its fine. Rednecks aren't bad if you can play white trash with them, camo actually functions as camouflage with them and they treat you like gold if you look like you might be a vet. I'd be down to rubber tramp it south, I'm also in GA near ATL. I want to make a gear run up to Chattanooga first though, there's a badass military surplus store and I wanna get me some insulated bibs.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Ah, Sis.. beautifull..

not a native..

crawled up sheer mountain escarpments in the Shawangunk mountains, no ropes, in my youth..
a place of different Life..

but i understand..

@ 24 i crawled through some swaps where even natives would have wondered WTF i was doing..

saw enough of grass-clumps & gators to understand there is a deepness to it that will make you understand it, or Flee..

& yes, i agree..

stay out of the heavier cities..

i dunn think i will say much more, except that i wish the coast were unspoiled..

& that rednecks are *definitely* ok, so long as what they are RedNecks about is declaring the Freedom of the individual to whom *they* are, as strongly as they declare their Own,
without Hate
towards
Differences
of those whom have Necks,
just as fucking Red,
but of a different Color..

when the Revolution comes,
we will need
more
than
fucking Eyes...

we will need to be able to
See
the fucking Way Out..

not to dig "florida", but..
'florida" is just a fucking name..

that's hardcore reality..

just a goddamned name..

new yawk, joisy, cali, washington, mass, virginny, texass, can's ass. okie, what fucking ***ever***, are just name for the regions that caucasian analytical/industrial culture has destroyed *what actually existed beforehand**.. i am not from the mountains of new yourk & you are not from the swamps of the everglades..

i never pounded acorns & chestnuts into flour & stored them for the winter, & i suspect you never made or rowed in a skin canoe that your or someone in your direct family made, unless we both count such things as a couple of the rarest novelties in our existences..

so, let us not kid ourselves..
every fucking person in america who is not of direct & majority Paleo-ethnic decent is just a fucking invading fucking accident.. we have **no** fucking clue..
shit..

i understand what you are saying, but we aren't even *visitors*..
we're just a fucking fungus that mother nature & god all fucking mighty are going to do with, whatever they are going to do with..

redneck, yankee, reb, hippy or straightedge..

makes no fucking difference..

all loyalties & all fucking distinctions are on the fucking table, so long as Whatever The Fuck Is Going to Happen is concerned..

but i understand.. & i understand yer defense of differences, & admire it,,

anyways.. good luck with the 2 dogs & cats..

if you need a hand, hit me up..

peace,

c

• Sad
Reactions: croc

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads