new to all this

Skye Pie

Reaction score
I just now came across this site after 7 months of being on the road and I feel like we definitely could have used it. I always wanted to travel across the country since a road trip my mom took me and my sister on when I was 8 so last July my boyfriend and I quit our jobs and took our remaining money to head north then east across the US. We traded our little truck for a school bus (and a dog) in Oklahoma and we're now on the east coast laying low at my aunt and uncle's house while we figure out what to do with the bus (it may not have been the wisest trade, the thing gulps diesel). I'm itching to get back out there though, South Carolina is not where I intended to get stuck. we are headed to New Orleans for Mardi Gras (sans bus) and I was hoping to meet some rad people that could give us any tips on how to get there and how to stay there for a week for cheap. Like I said above, we're new to all this and we're absolutely loving it :)

D

Deleted member 20

Welcome to STP & to Traveling. Please use the search function first before creating duplicate & competing threads. Read the rules & stickies first.

J

Johnny P

How to get there? Go to highway..stick out thumb and smile...repeat process until you are t your goal.

How to stay somewhere cheap? Find an abandoned building and claim it for your own.

Welcome to the board!

Skye Pie

Reaction score
How to get there? Go to highway..stick out thumb and smile...repeat process until you are t your goal.

How to stay somewhere cheap? Find an abandoned building and claim it for your own.

Welcome to the board!
thanks haha that's our plan really. up until this point we've had a vehicle to stay in but we're not trying to take a bus to New Orleans

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well maybe I see a bit of Patricia Arquette from the movie True Romance.

DAMN GREAT MOVIE!!!

And as long as we're complimenting the new girl.
@Skye Pie (<--cute handle)
I'd say from that camera angle... definitely a bit of Cindy Crawford Circa the 90s.
Yes... we StP mods are very lame. I am. And proud of it. (uses favorite emote) ::eyepatch::

Anyway. Skye Pie. Johnny P there knows what he's talking about.
Hitching doesn't give you as much a time to know your ride but... use instinct padewan.
Also.
Highwayman has suggested on this site before.... craigslist rideshare in the past.
Seeing how you are traveling with BF and not alone rideshare should be good as long as you scope out your prospective rides first. You know meet up at a public place chat a bit... get a radar lock on if they are harmless cookoo for coco puffs...(like me... ::woot::) or shadysketchyMcMiester.. or regular. There are still regular folk out there... right?

Oh... and megabus can be cheap I hear. Spange up some ticket money? ::cigar::

Last edited:
Reactions: Skye Pie

Skye Pie

Reaction score
well thanks for the compliments guys ::angelic:: Skye Pie has been a nickname of mine since childhood.
I've posted a few craigslist rideshare requests in various sc cities, got one reply from a guy that said "that sounds like fun, got a place to stay?" to which I said no, haven't heard back since. so we're probly hitching there.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads