New hobbies/money makers when living in middle of nowhere? | Squat the Planet

New hobbies/money makers when living in middle of nowhere?

Everymanalion

Reaction score
I am moving to the middle of nowhere desert in the next week or so about 30 mins from any main road, I will have internet connection but I want some new hobbies/ ways of making money in general or online, even if it is a small amount, as hobbies, I already have a garden planned, I am getting a puppy and going to improve my target shooting, anyone else have any other easy to pick up but hard to master hobbies/money makers for being so desolate and isolated? Thanks!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
This is completely off the top of my head and I may be totally dreaming, but, depending on your resources in the middle of nowhere, (you said, desert?) maybe you could make art of animal bones you find?

If you're talking like Midwest desert, maybe harvest small cacti to sell in town.

Like I said, totally random thoughts, but maybe that will spark an idea.

Best of luck!

• Useful
Reactions: todd and Kal
D

Deleted member 2626

Leather working. Any crafts to try to panhandle when in town. Weaving bracelets from cordage. Mayyyybe finding cool rocks. Solitude like this is trying but being busy and hsving lots of shit to do plus a little radio can help and me if have a half gallon on hand at all times for lonely evenings which is every. Dog tricks are good too been meaning to try this husseling with my fella

Everymanalion

Reaction score
Do you think there are people out there who would pay small $50-100 fees to set up a basic wordpress theme site with hosting and weekly updates/mainitnance each month for cheap? people are who are computer illiterate or did that ship sail in 2004? I dont mean a super fancy site just something to get their business out there an exposure in search engines. If I could do 5 of those a month at $100 each plus $20 a month for maintinance and updates I would be able to pay all my bills. Think there is still a market for that?

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Do you think there are people out there who would pay small $50-100 fees to set up a basic wordpress theme site with hosting and weekly updates/mainitnance each month for cheap? people are who are computer illiterate or did that ship sail in 2004? I dont mean a super fancy site just something to get their business out there an exposure in search engines. If I could do 5 of those a month at $100 each plus $20 a month for maintinance and updates I would be able to pay all my bills. Think there is still a market for that?

That's a good idea and back when I was writing, I had a web guy.

Paid him $25 a month to do updates for me. But, unless some one wants to make a fancy website, many people swear by WordPress.

Me, personally, I'm a technoidiot, so all my websites are on Blogger, which is ridiculously easy to use.

But, you can give it a shot. Start maybe with a local coffee shop or if there's a band in town looking for a website?

Tack some contact info onto a cork board at a coffee shop and see what happens.

I know people on both sides, those who hit the star on the right day and others who have worked their asses off and can't make a living doing websites, literally to save their lives.

You won't know until you try.

Good luck!

Reactions: TheWindAndRain

Durp

Reaction score
If you know another language try gengo to translate. Its hit or miss. We haven't got a single job from it yet but russian is not an in demand language. If you know spannish or Chinese you might have better luck.

K

Kim Chee

This is sales...the first words "do you think" don't create confidence. I think you have a great idea. How to create urgency is a problem many companies have tried to overcome.

Everymanalion

Reaction score
This is sales...the first words "do you think" don't create confidence. I think you have a great idea. How to create urgency is a problem many companies have tried to overcome.

My target demographic would be people who do not want to spend $2000 on a website, just something simple and professional to get them on search engines but I dont know too much about the market so i dont know if there is still a niche for that entry level stuff in this day and age for new start up busineses.

K

Kim Chee

My target demographic would be people who do not want to spend $2000 on a website, just something simple and professional to get them on search engines but I dont know too much about the market so i dont know if there is still a niche for that entry level stuff in this day and age for new start up busineses.

I've seen websites which were created for non-tech savvy folks to create their own website (for free or a nominal charge).

Surely, there are customers out there who need/want websites, the hard part is getting them to call you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads