New here. Train tips? Travel buddies?

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
crazy isn't it. When I started traveling 17 years ago I had to memorize everything and keep what I couldn't in a journal in my cargo pocket. Now if you get stuck on a ramp, or dropped in a fucked up place you've never been before you can just log on to a forum or text a friend. Traveling kids these days have it so easy.

starstuff93

Reaction score
crazy isn't it. When I started traveling 17 years ago I had to memorize everything and keep what I couldn't in a journal in my cargo pocket. Now if you get stuck on a ramp, or dropped in a fucked up place you've never been before you can just log on to a forum or text a friend. Traveling kids these days have it so easy.
Yeah man, I'm using this iPod my brother gave me yesterday. Crazy weird. I've been back home for only 3 months now and I'm already on house artel rest for violating a restraining order...I've just about decided to cut off my ankle bracelet and run...what do you think? I can't stand being in one place for so long!

starstuff93

Reaction score
Yeah man, I'm using this iPod my brother gave me yesterday. Crazy weird. I've been back home for only 3 months now and I'm already on house artel rest for violating a restraining order...I've just about decided to cut off my ankle bracelet and run...what do you think? I can't stand being in one place for so long!
I meant "house arrest" but I've been hitching and working on and off for a while around the southeast. I'm from Alabama and would like to just drop everything (like I actually have anything but debt) and travel. Any tips on hopping trains? I've never done it.

Thorne

Stuck and stagnant
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.houselessnothomeless.org
I am not going to tell you either way regarding whether you should cut the ankle band and split. That's on you. But regardless of what you do, when it comes to hopping trains for the first time you need to find someone with experience who is patient and willing to show you the ropes. I would not recommend trying it yourself the first time around, but that doesn't mean people haven't. It is just so easy to get killed out there on the rails. It is always better to travel with someone anyway for safety reasons too.

starstuff93

Reaction score
I've met a bunch of street kids in Birmingham, AL (just a few miles from me) but there's not a steady flow of them there. I was thinking about just taking my chances there. Probably the best bet. As for the ankle bracelet I'm gonna cut it, but I wouldn't consider trying to hop a train alone. Knowing me, I'd fuck it up. Thanks for the feedback dude!

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
I've just about decided to cut off my ankle bracelet and run...what do you think?
Cops in certain places aren't too crazy about travelers. If a cop runs your name and sees that you're off your bracelet you're fucked. I would also like to point out that you've posted something on the Internet about your plans to run from the law using an account with a picture of your face. Just saying.

K

Kim Chee

That's less than 1/2 a year. Hang in there. Find a way to stay busy and out of trouble. Once it is cut, there's no putting it back together. When they catch up with you they aren't going to give you a bracelet, it will be jail time. Better do your little bit of house arrest and satisfy your agreement before you trespass, drink in public, get shitty tattoos, etc.

If you're allowed to drink, make some wine!

starstuff93

Reaction score
That's less than 1/2 a year. Hang in there. Find a way to stay busy and out of trouble. Once it is cut, there's no putting it back together. When they catch up with you they aren't going to give you a bracelet, it will be jail time. Better do your little bit of house arrest and satisfy your agreement before you trespass, drink in public, get shitty tattoos, etc.

If you're allowed to drink, make some wine!
Wow! This site has been an unexpected but much needed voice of reason in my current dilemma. Thanks! Time to brew some hooch!

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
six months bullshit for a life time of freedom doesn't sounds like the end of the world to me. I had to stay put for a year once, it was pretty shit, but I did it and now I never have to think about that shitty year again because nobody can hassle me anymore.

good luck, and do something constructive with your time. Learn some skills you can use when you get to go out on the road again or if you are allowed to go out and work I'd bust myself and earn as much cash as I could (Legally of course!)

Reactions: MolotovMocktail

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads