New here, and I got an idea!

platinum

Reaction score
I can't believe I've done it...

this is my first jump into the great unknown. it will most likely be the only one, because I won't be coming back (at least for a long time anyway).

although i'm not "jumping" into anything. this plan has been in progress before i signed up for these forums, and it's been a quite a few months now. i've found the spot, i know what i have to get, i got what i need to read, i'm still working out the details of my departure, and i believe that i can't do much more than that.

i can always try like a weekend thing here and there to areas close by, but nothing will compare to what i will face in the new spot.

all i have to do is close my eyes and i imagine sitting in the cabin i built. i can imagine building it. i figure that if i really take my time building the cabin (1 log per day), i'll have it done in about 1 & 1/2 months. that's chopping down 1 tree every day for about 45 days. it seems like a good pace for someone who doesn't have much hand on experience. but i have been reading quite extensively on the subject, and watched a few videos. i'm good at building stuff anyway. :)

D

Deleted member 20

what was that movie when the kid goes to alaska to liv ein the in the wilderness & finds a cool old bus as a camp.Then starves, tries to hike out way too late & the little stream is no a raging river.

platinum

Reaction score

it's called "into the wild". mr. supertramp did things too fast. my journey is slow, and i'm taking my time, saving my money, and not doing this on a whim.

i've got a spot picked out already

i know how to build the cabin. i'm bringing lots of stuff with me

it's gonna be awesome, and written about too

platinum

Reaction score
ah!

i see that my posts have been fused into one. cool!

i've been thinking about the cabin today. what i will fill it with, the roof, and possibly a storage shed. also, and outhouse. i'm not sure if i'll build an outhouse right away. the first summer will be dedicated to building the cabin itself...

the outhouse can wait till the next summer. i know how to use a chamber pot ;)

i'm thinkin of an extension of the cabin on one side where i'll store chopped wood for the fire.

any ideas on that fireplace yet?

boucaneer

Reaction score

good luck mate. remember though,that although these missions take planning, they also need training for.

go try out your homesteading skills somwhere local and see how you get on.

i used to go to wales and live in the forestry commision national park there. i used to build my camp out of wind blown felled pine trees. remember to take plenty of blades for your bowsaw and some lard or lubricant for sawing wet timber.

also for your fishing gear try some different sized meshed gill nets for getting fish whilst you sleep or are busy chopping logs.

you can also get bait hooks that are spring loaded that you can leave that snap shut spiking the fish in the head and holding it untill you get back to check your lines from deep water fishing spots.

please do try your skillls somwhere localy first though, it will help with morale.

good luck.

platinum

Reaction score
yes!

i had already thought of that, and i've already picked out a "test run" area. i'll go there for a few weeks and just live there to practice what i have read by then (what i'm still reading).

this test run area is only 30 or 40km from my house, so it's not really that far, but it is definitely secluded.

the area that i have chosen for the cabin is much further, and much more remote.

thanks for the tip. glad that u guys are around to remind me of this stuff!

in my SAS book, it talks about setting up fish traps that i can basically leave overnight or during the day and check every now and then. i'll be sure to have lots of these. the area of choice has lots of rivers and lakes all around, so there'll be no shortage of fish.

snare traps will be set up all around on land for rabbits, foxes, squirrels, other small animals. my only hunting will be for birds and medium game. no big game for me. too dangerous, not worth the risk i believe

platinum

Reaction score
the rare and hard to find things are finally coming together.

i ordered a draw knife from the home hardware in town (it's fifty bucks!!)

gonna pick it up today, and maybe browse around for other tools that i can't seem to find easily.

hey, who knew that a wood auger would be so hard to find?

CanoeTramp

Reaction score
ah!

i see that my posts have been fused into one. cool!

i've been thinking about the cabin today. what i will fill it with, the roof, and possibly a storage shed. also, and outhouse. i'm not sure if i'll build an outhouse right away. the first summer will be dedicated to building the cabin itself...

the outhouse can wait till the next summer. i know how to use a chamber pot ;)

i'm thinkin of an extension of the cabin on one side where i'll store chopped wood for the fire.

any ideas on that fireplace yet?
I wouldn't bother with a fireplace, You're already packing in so much gear,-why not get yourself a 15 or 30 gallone steel barrel and a few feet of stove pipe, you could pack a lot of stuff in that barrel and strap it to a pack board, or get a friends help and carry it on long pole like hunters do with their game in africa. If you realy gotta have a fire place you could use the wattle and daub type contruction they used on early colonial houses, or the stone, clay and mud type fireplace with a stick and mud chimney that you see on early log cabins. The classic hewn-log house by Charles Mcraven has a chapter on the later. Hope this is of some help. Good luck to you and stay safe.

EastCoast315

Reaction score
Build up a crew man, going out there alone isn't smart. I know when I'm in the woods with another guy, there are tons of times that double checking out decisions is crucial. Both of us know damn well that we balance each other out to the point where alone, we would risk making some seriously dumb decisions.
A good plan would be to spend a large amount of money ($1000 or two) on stock foods, like flour, salt, shit like that. Rent out a charter boat and bring it all there by the pallet, so if worst comes to worst, you've got the basics. Restock yearly or twice yearly.
That will require money, so figure out a method of making money on your island. Hunting, crafting, something that you can bring back to land and sell. Thats how I'd do it.

M

Mouse

dont forget to bring Wilson
wilson.jpg

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads