New Bus Idea

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
The reason for biodiesel is that it requires no modification of the fuel line, veggie oil needs to be preheated in the tank to become nice and viscous, and also needs a switchable valve to cut the flow of diesel and open the flow of veggie oil to the engine. Generally, biodiesel is better for non-nomads, since the kit is separate from the vehicle and for smaller vehicles, that frees up space and keeps the weight a little lower. Something like a large bus should have a veggie oil system, since the lower miles per gallon and larger fuel tank would mean that the labor for the biodiesel would be much greater, and the weight and the space the system would take would not be significant.

bananathrash

Reaction score
a thought on the ownership problem; im gonna bet there is some way you could have multiple names down for owners. now say someone turns into a douche and trys to just claim the bus as their own.. theyd probably have to pay you money. no body wants to get the law involved but if someones trying to use it to their advantage, they wont be able to. money that they probably dont, or wont have.

i dont know how much sense that makes but eh.

drunken marauder

Reaction score
uummmm not sure if anyone still reads this thread... But non profit orginization or very easy to start and are fukken awsome... The bus would be owned by no one.. Also if the bus in held under a 501c3 it is much easier to get out of a lot of shit no one person is liable for anything unless you knowingly do some illegal shit.. You can accept tax deductible donations hold gambling nights in MI the liquor liscenses are really cheap after you have incorporated for I think one year may be 2.. It has been awhile.. Its just a matter of how you write everything up... Believe it or not the fukken Hells Angels are non profit so why cant we do something along those lines... The only thing you need for a 501c3 is a charitable idea or reason for the group... I.E the advancement of art and culture :).. An office address and a president who is also not the secretary.. 2 people...
But you can have as many as you want on the board.. Also as a 501c3 you are able to get excess government property free or cheap..

S

sykgutt

watch the movie "another state of mind"

social distortion and youth brigade trick out a school bus and go across the country for a bus tour. shows what the bus life would be like.

dharmabum

Reaction score
Hey - I'm new here and want to revive this idea. I have been looking into a veggie oil bus touring around for quite a while now and am aware of the modifications needed and shops that perform them, both in Canada and the States. I really want to see who is still checking out this idea here. Let's see some activity! I don't have deep pockets but I have enough that I have been looking into doing this by myself. But efforts are always more fun when shared. Especially when the point is earth friendly transport - or just earth friendly. So who is still checkin it out?

S

sykgutt

i'd be up for it. my brother actually is converting his jetta into biodiesel right now. i think he's got it all ready, he just needs to get the tank in his trunk.

i've gotta start picking up some things from my dad and brother, they're both really good mechanics, and that would probably come in handy

i could also make money selling art (i'm an aspiring graff and stencil artist)

i haven't been on the road yet, but i have been out in the wilderness loads of times and have survival skills

it's hard to get out when you've got everyone breathing down your neck to go to school

D

Deleted member 20

I am glad to see this idea is still out there. I tried the bus route many times & it seems that it was just always out of budget & reach. I have aquired a 99vw beetle tdi(that was run on wvo/grease but never will be again). I hate grease so much know!!!. Its way too much fucking work & the$ you save per gallon you pay for in replacing injectors, & injection pumps. My friend is machining a simple centrifuge for sale to the public & until that is done I am all set with grease. (a centrifuge spins out contaminents & "water' that is your worst enemy in grease. Anyhow after my rant I can get back on track. I am still thinking along the same as before but on a smaller scale, & leading more to a caravan with multiple diesel vehicles & or bus etc. I plan to beg truck drivers for a few gallons at a time at large rest areas, in 5 gallon jugs. The car gets almost 50mpg anyway so it snot like you need that much fuel anyway. In a last resort I have my hand held drum pump that I will aquire free fuel from parked tractors,refer trailers, contruction equipment etc. I know some of you are against stealing, but this will be afew gallons per hit, not even enough to notcie on there guages. I am still without a drivers license but have got my best friend to register the car in NH with some barebones ins. & a permision slip allowing me to delegate on his behalf whom I allow to drive this vehicle until he returns to the trip. So I have solved a few of my origional bus issues & have a more realistic plan know.

D

Deleted member 20

I noticed a post on hitch for some hippy types that have a bus partially converted & is looking for people who want to travel. They are also offering a place to crash at their place if anyone is willing to help fix up the bus.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads