never hitchhiked in my life (1 Viewer)

cixcell

Considering hitchhiking from mesa arizona to florida. I have more friends in florida and none in arizona so I am kinda stuck and despite trying to immaculately clean their home my friends gf wants me out and she controls him. So I'm getting pushed out while the world is in chaos. advice? i know you old souls have alot of combined experience. I am a rookie who was formerly a tech worker.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Bushpig

Wanderer
Pack light.
Be (or at least look) as clean as possible.
Expect to walk a lot. Plan for it unless you don't mind staying in one spot for a while waiting for a ride.
Don't do ANYTHING without the driver's permission. Ask before rolling window, smoking, taking your shoes off, etc.
If a driver wants to talk, talk. That's a very fair payment for a free ride. If they want silence, don't bother them.
Don't be afraid to turn down a ride if you have bad vibes.
Most truckers drive for companies. Companies don't allow passengers, so very few will pick you up.
Lots of water! Lots of calories! If you're walking a lot with a pack, you'll need these!
Walking the interstates makes it easier to get a ride, but it's illegal. Weigh the risk. You WILL have cops pull you over. If you have problems with authorities, don't bother. You WILL see them. They'll usually drive you to an exit or a truck stop/gas station if you're able to keep a cool head.

I'm bored of writing this. If you have specific questions, ask and either me or someone else will happily answer.

Good luck!

Ceed

Lurker
Some places are more stricts than others. Bring your smile, be optimistic. Lots of water. A sign can be useful but i dont carry one for some reasons. Cops will tolerate you in highway entries (sorry my english), but not directly on freeways.

Can always give ride-sharing a try on Craigslist. Mesa to Florida is actually a pretty common run for a lot of dessert hippies. A little late but lots of people head that way after the gem shows.

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
We have VERY very many resources on hitchhiking in this 'hitchhiking' forum. Look through it. I know for a fact most of your questions can be answered here.

Use the 'search' feature via the search icon at the top of the page....and use the 'advanced search' feature for more specific content, where you can search the 'hitchhiking' section for any questions you might have.

Good luck! Other users have posted great information in response to your post.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Website
www.ebay.com
Considering hitchhiking from mesa arizona to florida. I have more friends in florida and none in arizona so I am kinda stuck and despite trying to immaculately clean their home my friends gf wants me out and she controls him. So I'm getting pushed out while the world is in chaos. advice? i know you old souls have alot of combined experience. I am a rookie who was formerly a tech worker.
I-10 in the summer, so fun!!!!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
besides using the search function and what others have mentioned....i will add - try to find a good spot for the driver to drop you off at ahead of time. not every driver that picks you up has hitchhiked before or knows what it's about, and they might try to drop you off at a deserted spot or one that has a shitty on ramp, and then you're stuck.

WanderLost

Wanderer
besides using the search function and what others have mentioned....i will add - try to find a good spot for the driver to drop you off at ahead of time. not every driver that picks you up has hitchhiked before or knows what it's about, and they might try to drop you off at a deserted spot or one that has a shitty on ramp, and then you're stuck.
Ya people not knowing how hitchhiking works is probably the most frustrating part about it imo.

Turn down rides going short distances if youre in a good spot with lots of traffic and a place for people to pull over.

If youre in a shitty spot then its the opposite and any miles help.

WanderLost

Wanderer
Ewwwww. Hitchhiking is fine. If I, a colored guy, could get rides from racist Trump supporters ("I'm not racist. Three only people I have a problem with are the ragheads."), then anybody can.
Ya prob true. Just felt like bein a smart ass lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
CowboyDan9494