need help buying a banjo!

siid

Vagabond
Current Location
dont fuckin worry about it
i want to learn how to play the banjo so Im looking for a cheap one on craigslist (under $300), but i dont know what i should be looking for. whats best for beginners ? 5 strings ? 6 strings ?

if anyone has the time to check these out, let me know if any of these seem okay or not pleaseee :)

https://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/5675885301.html

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/atq/5683459921.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/5687382767.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/5681483385.html

Reactions: highwayman

zim

Lurker Admin
Current Location
Slab City
#1 is chinese and is probably pretty poorly made but not terrible for $50

#2 is probably not quite what you're looking for because the resonator is huge

Same with #3, tenor banjo

#4 is not worth anywhere near $250

Your best bet is #1

Source: I play the banjo

And yeah, get a 5 string banjo

Avoid "vintage" banjos in general, people think they're worth way more than they are. They're generally old and beaten up, sound like crap, but because they're old, people somehow think that makes them worth money.

Reactions: highwayman

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
I am obviously partial to Deering since they have 3 Dropkick Murphys model banjos & that is what Jeff Darosa plays.

$30 bucks sounds awesome tho for an instrument for traveling.

Last edited:

Haystack

Wanderer
Current Location
yard1
I was given a Rogue "travel" banjo for my birthday last year. It's not the best but it suits my needs very well and it sounds good (at least to me it does). It's not super high end so if you wanted to travel with it there's not much to worry about which is nice. I see them on Craigslist for like $50 sometimes, just have to keep your eyes open.

Stinkyyy

Wanderer
Current Location
Bristol, United Kingdom
Hi hi fucking awesome that were gonna get more banjo players yes!!
Basically stay the FUCK away from a 6 string , if you wanna play a guitar buy a friggin guitar not some mutant 6 string clusterfuck. I traded in my 6 string the first day I got it for a 5 string banjo.

If ya buying new here's my advice - rather spend more and be happy, its so fucking annoying that banjos are so pricey (mines breaking and I can't afford to replace it) all those £250 bottom end ones are fucking jokes.

oak moth

Wanderer
Current Location
western mass
You may want to think about what kind of style you want to play. Open back 5-string for claw hammer, closed for finger picking, tenor for plectrum or strumming.

OP
siid

siid

Vagabond
Current Location
dont fuckin worry about it
Ohhhh i forgot i posted this and to thank you guys for really tryina help me pick one haha I’ll post a pic of the one I ended up getting in a minute

Similar threads

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Trying to decide between colorado and portland.
In Winslow, AZ, and then on to Holbrook, with the Box. Anyone around these parts?
Takin a break from work to head up to Laramie for a few days to play some shows this weekend. Thank fuck, I need this.
BirdDaddy wrote on Tommythecat's profile.
Welcome to STP man!
BirdDaddy wrote on jypzi's profile.
You deleted you?
ALmost to Vegas, and I started getting dizzy

I am not made for the ruggedness of traveling all the time

Adieu
My eyes are A okay!!! I guess floaters squiggly lines heat waves flashing lights cloudy and blurred vision are normal...I guess. It's new to me, and realy hard tk.get use to. I have had better than perfact vision my entire life. I still do too, I just have shit in my field of vision somtimes nowadays I guess
Just did my first single handed sailing trip. Video to come if I can figure out how to edit video clips

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
St George