need help buying a banjo!

siid

Wanderer
Current Location
los angeles
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
i want to learn how to play the banjo so Im looking for a cheap one on craigslist (under $300), but i dont know what i should be looking for. whats best for beginners ? 5 strings ? 6 strings ?

if anyone has the time to check these out, let me know if any of these seem okay or not pleaseee :)

https://longisland.craigslist.org/msg/5675885301.html

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/atq/5683459921.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/msg/5687382767.html

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/msg/5681483385.html

zim

Reality Perception Device
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Olympia, WA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
#1 is chinese and is probably pretty poorly made but not terrible for $50

#2 is probably not quite what you're looking for because the resonator is huge

Same with #3, tenor banjo

#4 is not worth anywhere near $250

Your best bet is #1

Source: I play the banjo

And yeah, get a 5 string banjo

Avoid "vintage" banjos in general, people think they're worth way more than they are. They're generally old and beaten up, sound like crap, but because they're old, people somehow think that makes them worth money.

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Im mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Reactions
99% 0% 1%

zim

Reality Perception Device
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Olympia, WA
Reactions
99% 0% 1%

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Im mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I am obviously partial to Deering since they have 3 Dropkick Murphys model banjos & that is what Jeff Darosa plays.

$30 bucks sounds awesome tho for an instrument for traveling.

Last edited:
Current Location
yard1
Reactions
97% 2% 1%
I was given a Rogue "travel" banjo for my birthday last year. It's not the best but it suits my needs very well and it sounds good (at least to me it does). It's not super high end so if you wanted to travel with it there's not much to worry about which is nice. I see them on Craigslist for like $50 sometimes, just have to keep your eyes open.

Current Location
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
Hi hi fucking awesome that were gonna get more banjo players yes!!
Basically stay the FUCK away from a 6 string , if you wanna play a guitar buy a friggin guitar not some mutant 6 string clusterfuck. I traded in my 6 string the first day I got it for a 5 string banjo.

If ya buying new here's my advice - rather spend more and be happy, its so fucking annoying that banjos are so pricey (mines breaking and I can't afford to replace it) all those £250 bottom end ones are fucking jokes.

Current Location
Milwaukee, United States
Reactions
64% 7% 29%
A cigar box, some thumb screws for tuning pegs, nails, and a piece of a pallet will only cost you some pocket change.

Current Location
Savannah
Reactions
0% 0% 0%
Current Location
western mass
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
You may want to think about what kind of style you want to play. Open back 5-string for claw hammer, closed for finger picking, tenor for plectrum or strumming.

OP
OP
siid

siid

Wanderer
Current Location
los angeles
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
Ohhhh i forgot i posted this and to thank you guys for really tryina help me pick one haha I’ll post a pic of the one I ended up getting in a minute