need a good story for crossing the border | Squat the Planet

need a good story for crossing the border

Corinne

Reaction score
Website
www.incoherentmindz.tumblr.com
i heard that canadian border patrol will deny me entry if i come off as a broke traveling hippie in a van with no destination. but if i say im ''going to grandma's house'' or something, they will require a letter of invitation. if i say i'm a tourist, they will ask to see if i have enough money. what do i do?

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
Maybe you could find someone from Canada (someone on StP?) who could write the letter saying you're visiting them. Don't know if that would work but it might be worth looking into.

Durp

Reaction score
Say you are visitng xyz music event. Buy ticket for cheap event, bam welcome to canada if you have no felonies (duis are felony crimes there)

• Useful
Reactions: Corinne

InGrindWeRust

Reaction score
I was just down in Del Rio Tx a few months ago. Border patrol is really on their shit down there. I attempted and got caught. Even hitching back border patrol stopped the trucker that gave us a ride and called his boss. The guy had to dump us on the side of the road or get fired.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I've never been to Canada, and had no idea they had this law.

Thanks for this info.

There is no "law" like this, but if they are worried you wont leave they may refuse you, just like the states would do. My advise is just tell them the truth, much easier. If you get caught lying it may end up keeping you from ever getting in.

That Being said even if you have been charged with something but not convicted, that could end in you being turned away. I got denied entry into the US because of that, and Canada can be the same.

Just be friendly and honest, give them a city or place you'd like to see as your first destination and you should be fine.

Reactions: Corinne

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
There is no "law" like this, but if they are worried you wont leave they may refuse you, just like the states would do. My advise is just tell them the truth, much easier. If you get caught lying it may end up keeping you from ever getting in.

That Being said even if you have been charged with something but not convicted, that could end in you being turned away. I got denied entry into the US because of that, and Canada can be the same.

Just be friendly and honest, give them a city or place you'd like to see as your first destination and you should be fine.

Then I'm going to geek totally out and say this publicly... I have always wanted to see Prince Edward Island.

When I was young, I had a love of Canada I couldn't explain.

I adopted a "Canadian accent," had a Maple Leaf tag on the front of my car, wore a tri-colored gold Maple Leaf around my neck, and told everyone I was from, Summerside, P.E.I.

Ha ha!

I had some Canadian friends (at the time) who used to laugh at my choosing P.E.I to "be from," saying, " Why would you choose P.E.I? There's nothing there, unless you're a big Anne of Green Gables fan! We see you more hanging out on Yonge St."

So, there's my big geek secret. :p

NoPedestrians

Reaction score
I'm sure you can tell them almost anything and they can't just deny you entry. I've gone into mexico with no passport or anything dozens of time. My cousin and I got questioned leaving Canada once and we told them we came from an auction (true) and they asked us what we bought. Had to explain you can't strap a 5 ton boring mill onto your car. Make sure you say "eh" at least once that ought to work.

Also, first post. I see if i can be a regular this is a damn nice site for us to connect.

• Haha
Reactions: BlackRabbit

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
It depends where you cross the border. It will be trickier near metro areas, or on the western coast.
And No, they aren't obligated to let you into their country. And Yes, they will almost absolutely deny you for felonies and DUIS. The same applies to my Canadian friends who have been banned from the states.
I wholeheartedly recommend talking to locals near where you plan to cross. They will usually know the best excuses / immediate tourist destinations that would be plausible. The hapless tourist / wanderlust college kid act can work wonders if its realistic for your situation.
If you're on the West Coast, I'd say take a ferry from Port Angeles, WA or some nearby Island that will bypass Vancouver or Victoria. Not sure what their routes are these days.
And if you're driving over...can't stress this enough....triple check what you're hauling for anything that could be misconstrued as evidence of anything.
My partner and I were forced to explain our lengthy rapsheets in a Border Services detention center while crossing legally at Niagra Falls for several hours. They searched us right down to the dirty socks and hobo bible. Surprisingly, they let us in, even though we only had $200 usd between us, and a vague unrehearsed plan of going to a "concert in Toronto"

• Useful
Reactions: MolotovMocktail
D

Deleted member 16034

Mexico is stupid easy to get into, but isn't it a bitch and a half getting out of?

I would just say, "I have to be in (Insert state in the US) in a month." So they know you're not going to be staying

Dmac

Reaction score
Why not tell them you are driving to Alaska for a job or something?

K

Kim Chee

Thread is almost a year old.

Not sure what the requirements are for somebody claiming to not be a tourist. I'm sure you can google that up if you like. If you claim to have "work," be prepared to show a letter from your "employer".

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-who.asp

Eligibility – What you need to visit Canada as a tourist
New entry requirement now in effect

Visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization(eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

Note: Until September 29, 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. During this leniency period, border services officers can let travellers arriving without an eTA into the country, as long as they meet the other requirements to enter Canada. Find answers to your questions about the leniency period.

Most travellers need a valid entry document such as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa to visit Canada. This will depend on your citizenship or your situation.

Basic requirements
To visit Canada, you will need to meet some basic requirements, such as:

• have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • be in good health,
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions,
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country,
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you will need can vary. It depends on things such as how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.)
You may also need a:

Entry documents
In addition to the basic requirements, most visitors need a valid entry document. Find out if you need an eTA or a visa.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Visitor visa

Travel documents
When travelling to Canada, you always need to carry proper travel documents and identificationfor yourself and any children travelling with you.

Transport companies, such as airlines, must make sure you have proper, valid travel documents. If you do not have the proper documents, you may be delayed or unable to board the plane.

The following travel documents are not considered reliable. You cannot use them to enter Canada:

• passports supposedly issued by Somalia,
  • non-machine readable passports issued by the Czech Republic,
  • temporary passports issued by the Republic of South Africa and
  • provisional passports issued by Venezuela.
To find out what else you may need to know before you come to Canada, see Arriving in Canadaand specific requirements for minor children.

Permanent residents of Canada
If you are a permanent resident of Canada you must show your permanent resident card when you re-enter Canada on a commercial vehicle, such as an airplane, boat, train or bus. If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your car, there are other documents you can use.

If you plan to leave Canada, check your card’s expiry date to make sure that it will still be valid when you return. Most cards are valid for five years.

As always, if you are a permanent resident of Canada and a citizen of a visa-exempt country or a citizen of a visa-required country, you need to travel with your Canadian permanent resident (PR) card or permanent resident travel document when flying to Canada. Otherwise, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada.

If you are in Canada and do not currently have a permanent resident card, find out how to apply for a permanent resident card.

If you are outside Canada and do not have a PR card or your card is expired, find out how to apply for a permanent resident travel document.

To note, Canadian permanent residents who are also citizens of a visa-exempt country are not eligible to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) as eTA was set up to screen foreigners for admissibility to enter Canada.

Inadmissibility
Some people are inadmissible—they are not allowed to come to Canada. Several things can make you inadmissible, including involvement in criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime.

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons. Find out more about inadmissibility.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

BlackRabbit

Reaction score
I'm sure you can tell them almost anything and they can't just deny you entry. I've gone into mexico with no passport or anything dozens of time. My cousin and I got questioned leaving Canada once and we told them we came from an auction (true) and they asked us what we bought. Had to explain you can't strap a 5 ton boring mill onto your car. Make sure you say "eh" at least once that ought to work.

Exactly the bad advice that leads tons of people to border customs Hell.

First off, customs agents have ZERO obligation to let you in, and on the other hand they got a lot of latitude to decide who gets in. If they see anything sketchy according to their by-laws, you'd better say bye bye to crossing the border. The only fair advice is that they'll require something to prove that you'll be going back to your country... like studies or a job.

Also the Mexican border is a whole different world than the US/Canada border.

HoboinaTux

Reaction score
Maybe go to a hotel in person and (if one will eventually allow you to do it without a down payment) make a reservation for the same night you're crossing. Then just tell the border people you're going to see a concert and plan to return to America this evening. And be clean.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads