News & Blogs - Nearly 4 In 5 Voters Concerned Incivility Will Lead To Violence | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Nearly 4 In 5 Voters Concerned Incivility Will Lead To Violence

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Here it comes, folks. I, personally, cant wait....

Poll: Nearly 4 In 5 Voters Concerned Incivility Will Lead To Violence
LISTEN· 3:58
Toggle more options

November 1, 20185:21 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
domenico_montanaro_npr_007_sq-91c49487814945192035ed885c8239a7fcbed9bd-s100-c85.jpg
DOMENICO MONTANARO

Twitter
gettyimages-1055522638trumpprotest_wide-cd63b7610bc47a733da1ec46987d5780ea356c53-s700-c85.jpg

People protesting against President Trump gather near the Tree of Life Congregation, the site of a deadly shooting over the weekend, on Wednesday in Pittsburgh.
Brendan Smialowski/AFP/Getty Images
Roughly 80 percent of voters say they are concerned that the negative tone and lack of civility in Washington will lead to violence or acts of terror, according to a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll conducted after the deadly shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue.
But they are divided on who is the most to blame.
gettyimages-1054587848_sq-fc1e3c3372c783b91e4fa8789ad99d80eaa10ea6-s700-c85.jpg

NATIONAL
Synagogue Shooting Suspect, Robert Bowers, Indicted On 44 Federal Charges
More say President Trump is the most to blame than say the same thing about Democrats, the media or Republicans in Congress. Specifically, 42 percent say the president is the most to blame, while about a quarter to a third say the media are the most to blame.
That finding, of course, is sharply divided along party lines. Seventy-one percent of Democrats say Trump is the most to blame. Forty-four percent of Republicans say Democrats in Congress are the most to blame with another 42 percent saying the media are the most to blame. Among independents, 45 percent say Trump is the most to blame and another 30 percent say the media are the most to blame.

Don't see the graphic above? Click here.
When it comes to the improvised explosive devices mailed to prominent Democrats and critics of the president, the results are similar — 37 percent of Americans blame the way Trump conducts himself, 21 percent say it's the way the media report the news, 12 percent say it's bickering between Democrats and Republicans, and about a quarter say it's none of these factors.

Don't see the graphic above? Click here.
But those numbers are largely reflections of consistent strongly negative feelings toward the president. In polling beginning June 2017, roughly 4 in 10 Americans have said they strongly disapprove of Trump.
Article continues after sponsorship

It's no different in Thursday's poll. The president has just a 41 percent approval rating overall, with 52 percent of voters disapproving. And 39 percent of voters strongly disapprove.
gettyimages-1055536814_sq-5266947b38f7a93a7cd28898eefcc215ed37f73f-s700-c85.jpg

POLITICS
Another 'Civil War?' Pessimism About Political Violence Deepens In A Divided Nation
It is notable, however, that one thing does cross party lines — the belief that the overall tone and level of civility in Washington, D.C., between Republicans and Democrats has gotten worse since Trump was elected. About three-quarters of voters overall say so, and that includes nearly two-thirds of Republicans.
gettyimages-1054431896trumpill_wide-4f7a7da7af5d49571de0ac1bfcd4a3cf1aac19f5-s700-c85.jpg

President Trump speaks to supporters during a rally at the Southern Illinois Airport last week in Murphysboro, Ill.
Scott Olson/Getty Images
Those numbers are similar to polling in July 2017, when 70 percent of Americans said the tone in Washington had gotten worse under Trump.
gettyimages-1054396228_sq-ad4f0fade741b3d361895fc5dc729909b4a4262f-s700-c85.jpg

POLITICS
Trump Denies 'Fearmongering' With Immigration Rhetoric Ahead Of The Election
That's far higher than those who said the tone in Washington had gotten worse under President Barack Obama by the summer of 2009. A survey conducted by Gallup for USA Today in July 2009, when Democrats in the House first revealed the Affordable Care Act, found 35 percent believed the tone had gotten worse; 42 percent said it had stayed about the same.
When it comes to the suspicious packages, neither the president nor the media fare very well. Fifty-two percent of voters said they think the president has not acted responsibly in his handling of these incidents, and 50 percent of voters also said the media have not been acting responsibly in its reporting of them.
Those answers are predictably split along party lines — with 83 percent of Democrats saying the president has handled the incidents irresponsibly, and 72 percent of Republicans saying the media have reported on them irresponsibly.
gettyimages-1054023270_sq-b8d51a4a715230adfec7f9ad309a36f084405b21-s700-c85.jpg

NATIONAL
Mail Bomb Suspect Reportedly Had List Of More Than 100 Potential Targets
In this last NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll before Tuesday's elections, it's worth noting that, overall, the fundamentals of the election have not changed. The president's approval rating has remained very consistent — and historically low compared with that of other presidents.
And the latest results of the so-called generic ballot question of whom people are more likely to vote for in their district: Democrats lead. Among all registered voters, Democrats led by 6 percentage points (50 to 44 percent), but among likely voters, the Democratic advantage is 9 percentage points. That is a range that can mean trouble in the House for Republicans, said pollster Lee Miringoff, director of the Marist Institute for Public Opinion, which conducted the poll.
"Those are numbers Democrats need," Miringoff said, adding, "That's likely to convert to a flip of the House."
gettyimages-1052056880_sq-5a9a063326555e43064d7f8490477f4bf50aa125-s700-c85.jpg

POLITICS
Voter Turnout Could Hit 50-Year Record For Midterm Elections
That's especially true if midterm turnout is as high as is expected Tuesday.
senate-race-nd_sq-17ab1a5762ec244f5e7876df2b4ecef7ea1675d4-s700-c85.png

POLITICS
Battle For The Senate: 10 Races That Will Determine Control
But because the landscape in the Senate favors Republicans so heavily — with races being run in far more states that Trump won in the 2016 presidential election where Democratic incumbents are now defending their seats — there's the strong likelihood of a split result.
The possibility of a blue wave in the House and a red wave in the Senate would have both parties and the president vying for control of the national political narrative heading into the 2020 election cycle.
The poll was conducted from Oct. 28 through Oct. 29. Pollsters interviewed 924 Americans, and the poll has a margin of error of 4.2 percentage points. Of those, 822 were registered voters, and answers that refer to voters have a margin of error of 4.4 percentage points.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Flipboard
  • Email

From the White House to your home — political news and analysis that matter, sent weekly.
E-mail address
By subscribing, you agree to NPR's terms of use and privacy policy.
More Stories From NPR
ap_18003762037031_wide-7fadd6b05e22f117adcd87f857a7ad1fe1ea33a8.jpg

ENERGY
Why Big Money Is Being Pumped Into A Small New Mexico Race
gettyimages-974323074_wide-e197d4a2d8973e8360093d9d9cfdf443021e9db2.jpg

POLITICS
Here's Why Democrats Are Confident They'll Win The House
Popular on NPR.org
gettyimages-1055536814_wide-0699a2fea10415b159ce891ed8c69f25bec8654e.jpg

POLITICS
Another 'Civil War'? Pessimism About Political Violence Deepens In A Divided Nation
ap_00121001138oconnorrehnquist_wide-eed245a792ebf5563b2ab9089f92503f44043fd7.jpg

LAW
O'Connor, Rehnquist And A Supreme Marriage Proposal
NPR Editors' Picks
_dsc1708_wide-83c7537c667b480b871824558941efcf1f9c4fa0.jpg

NATIONAL
Butterfly Preserve On The Border Threatened By Trump's Wall
ap_18304697892891_wide-2d4143a5ab07f3d4322983c288b425982c4401ba.jpg

NATIONAL
N.Y. Police Seeking Answers In Deaths Of Saudi Sisters Found In River
READ & LISTEN

CONNECT
ABOUT NPR
GET INVOLVED

Reactions: Object

salxtina

Reaction score
CIVILITY IS FUCKING KILLING US.

All these Nazi fuckers made their views and intentions known on social media before committing their murders.
There is exactly ONE WAY to respond to people voicing those intentions, that stops it from becoming a tragedy. Modern radicals need to get the hell over considering it distasteful.

Reactions: Batsy

roughdraft

Reaction score
good luck finding a solution to almost anything on such and such a large scale

here's an example: i think diddling a kid is something you should be executed for. the fact this "isnt a thing" actually bothers me a lot.

the biggest problem: it's difficult to prove and stupid people will take advantage and lie on innocent people which is really almost as bad as the aforementioned unforgivable act - just my opinion and i don't have personal experience with it. i just believe it is one of the biggest psychologically destructive forces in our world. i do have some emotional attachment to this opinion for reasons like what i believe it's done to friends/ex girlfriends

NOT trying to be off topic here but civility is a double edged sword something something.....

Reactions: Coywolf
D

Deleted member 20683

the only thing that has stopped charlottesville or other fascist swarms from becoming the pogroms they fully wanted to be is counterprotestors. lone wolf violence is coming back because they have been denied the opportunities to commit mass violence. @roughdraft i agree with you (for once!) that civility is a double-edged sword, and it means very different things at either end. the far right have committed the vast majority of domestic terrorism in the past few decades, yet to even the mainstream right now, violence is liberals yelling at people in restaurants while a rising tide of explicitly right wing terrorism is dismissed as "false flags", "mental health issues" etc. the right's talk of "civil war" is a way of stating their desires to unleash massive political violence on the rest of us. after charlottesville there was so much attention to potus' "many sides" comment that it was as if even the "liberal media" was wilfully missing the point of other comments that made it very obvious that he knew exactly how many sides there were and which one he was on. his dog whistles to the alt-right have been consistently missed by the sort of people who think "extremists on both sides" are the problem and consequently haven't taken neofascism seriously enough to learn its language... but he is always more or less been egging them on. 'civilty' - who really believes in that anymore?

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
the only thing that has stopped charlottesville or other fascist swarms from becoming the pogroms they fully wanted to be is counterprotestors. lone wolf violence is coming back because they have been denied the opportunities to commit mass violence. @roughdraft i agree with you (for once!) that civility is a double-edged sword, and it means very different things at either end. the far right have committed the vast majority of domestic terrorism in the past few decades, yet to even the mainstream right now, violence is liberals yelling at people in restaurants while a rising tide of explicitly right wing terrorism is dismissed as "false flags", "mental health issues" etc. the right's talk of "civil war" is a way of stating their desires to unleash massive political violence on the rest of us. after charlottesville there was so much attention to potus' "many sides" comment that it was as if even the "liberal media" was wilfully missing the point of other comments that made it very obvious that he knew exactly how many sides there were and which one he was on. his dog whistles to the alt-right have been consistently missed by the sort of people who think "extremists on both sides" are the problem and consequently haven't taken neofascism seriously enough to learn its language... but he is always more or less been egging them on. 'civilty' - who really believes in that anymore?

^This!

Fuck yes. @oak moth you the the nail squarely on the head!

salxtina

Reaction score
Yeah @roughdraft I hear you
Even the worst pedos/abusers I don't trust the state to mete out any kind of 'justice' for and I don't want any more support for the government/courts having life-or-death power over people
Doubly so because cops are like 400% more likely than civilians to be domestic abusers themselves, laws are so perversely twisted that the people most often accused of pimping/sex trafficking are sex workers themselves or those providing them w/ harm-reduction aid, and with any class of criminal charges, black & brown people are convicted on dubious evidence all the damn time

Look up Redneck Revolt / John Brown Gun Club / Pink Pistols chapters in yr area
Teach all yr queer friends to shoot
Support political prisoners near you, help other people learn good opsec so they don't become more political prisoners

roughdraft

Reaction score

i would say i agree with you pretty often

i think you make some interesting points here

i think unfortunately civility is too boring for most people because we/they are too dumb to appreciate "the finer things in life"

until we can all take better care of each other violence and hate will be more accessible ways of getting off for a lot of people

FenrirFox

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Oakmoth, I don't think the Proud Boys, Patriot Prayer, and Unite the Right are interested in "pogroms."

I don't like Trump, but I don't see how he is at all to blame for the bombing and shooting.

I also don't think Trump is on the side of anyone trying to form pogroms if what you say is true considering that he has Jewish family.

dumpster harpy

Reaction score
Oakmoth, I don't think the Proud Boys, Patriot Prayer, and Unite the Right are interested in "pogroms."

I don't like Trump, but I don't see how he is at all to blame for the bombing and shooting.

I also don't think Trump is on the side of anyone trying to form pogroms if what you say is true considering that he has Jewish family.

Please pull your head out of your ass. Learn about how fascist movements build, and how they rely on people like yourself to act as their apologists.

As for Trump, his nationalist rhetoric definitely doesn't do anything to deescalate the wave of bigoted violence.

And having Jewish family members does not preclude one from being able to make common cause with fascists

Reactions: FenrirFox

Dameon

Reaction score
REPORTER: The neo-Nazis started this thing. They showed up in Charlottesville.

TRUMP: Excuse me, they didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people on both sides.
Trump explicitly saying that some neo-Nazis are very fine people. Granted, it could be interpreted to mean that not everybody there was a neo-Nazi, but a very specific sort of person gets upset when statues praising a Confederate general get removed, and I'll give you a hint: they don't like people that aren't white. Even given my really low opinion of the president's intelligence, he's not so dumb that he doesn't know this, but there's a certain part of the population he doesn't want to offend, and they're largely responsible for his support. Other presidential candidates were willing to flat-out condemn neo-nazis and the KKK, where this one gives them tacit approval by telling everybody that some of them are "very fine people". He knows where his voting base stands.

Also, Trump doesn't have any Jewish family, I don't know where you get that from. The Trump family is German in ethnicity, and I don't see anything out there about Jewish family members.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump_family

Reactions: dumpster harpy

dumpster harpy

Reaction score
My bad, there was some bad reporting, but there is religious Judaism in his family and he has Jewish friends/circle.

AFAIK his daughter married a Jew and converted, but that really doesn't mean shit.

Dameon

Reaction score
My bad, there was some bad reporting, but there is religious Judaism in his family and he has Jewish friends/circle.
Okay, so what you're coming down to here is the "I know a black dude so things I do that involve black dudes are approved by me and that makes me the judge of black people" line, which I'd advise you to avoid.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads