Photos - My Portraits | Squat the Planet

Photos My Portraits

Vulture

Reaction score
When I think of photography, usually, it makes me sick. Professional photographers take photographs of nothing or encourage body insecurity just as much as the actual company. People take photographs of themselves repetitively throughout the day. The wedding photographer is making an idyllic image of something bound to fail. The photojournalist takes images of foreign realities from an American subjective, pretending to be impartial.

People are the only things worth photographing. I've decided to simply take the images that describe the person in the way they want to be described. I wouldn't say it is so much an image, but time frozen so that another can reflect on the person's essence in that moment.

The photos of the young man are the newest. Oldest are those for the older man. I had to pick this up to prep for a shoot for album art. I haven't put it down since.

The two of the older man were more experimental than the others as they were taken with a view camera adapted as a lens for a full frame digital camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koala and msre

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
When I think of photography, it makes me sick. Professional photographers who take photographs of nothing or encourage body insecurity just as much as the actual company. People who take photographs of themselves repetitively throughout the day. The wedding photographer making an idyllic image of something bound to fail. The photojournalist taking images of foreign realities from an American subjective, pretending to be impartial.

Ive decided to simple take the images that describe the person in the way they want to be described. I wouldn't say it is so much an image, but time frozen so that another can reflect on the person's essence in that moment. People are the only things worth photographing.

www.mediafire.com

1.jpg

The photos of the guy are the newest. Oldest are the older man. I had to pick this up to prep for a shoot for album art. I haven't put it down since.

Not sure about the formatting.

mediafire doesn't really share images very well. also, you should drop the file size if possible, i noticed 1.jpg was over 7mb.

i'd suggest using imgur, which embeds quite nicely here, and all you have to do is paste the url to the album.

E

etpyh

I like most of your pictures, but I disagree with your stated opinion on other photographs, especially on the "People are the only things worth photographing." and photojournalist part. There are good pictures without people in it as well as good "photojournalistic pictures". Not only "good looking", but also with a "good influence" or whatever you think it is that makes a photograph worth to be taken (probably).

Vulture

Reaction score
I like most of your pictures, but I disagree with your stated opinion on other photographs, especially on the "People are the only things worth photographing." and photojournalist part. There are good pictures without people in it as well as good "photojournalistic pictures". Not only "good looking", but also with a "good influence" or whatever you think it is that makes a photograph worth to be taken (probably).
I think a photograph worth taking captures a valid essence which is agreed upon by the photographer and the model. Nature cannot pass judgement upon its essence ad essence is something we prescribe to it. However this is all my subjective viewpoint, as there is no universal truth as to what is good or bad.

E

etpyh

I think a photograph worth taking captures a valid essence which is agreed upon by the photographer and the model. Nature cannot pass judgement upon its essence ad essence is something we prescribe to it. However this is all my subjective viewpoint, as there is no universal truth as to what is good or bad.
Well given the "agreed upon essence condition" I agree that there can't be any pictures worth taking without people in it.
However I still don't agree with the condition. I think there are a lot of pictures worth taking, where there is no model, or even people in the picture. Just imagine someone doing a crime, or more specific a war crime, while you have the possibility to photograph it. I think in at least some cases it is worth taking the picture.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads