2016 Jamboree - My motorized bicycle route to the Jambo | Squat the Planet

2016 Jamboree My motorized bicycle route to the Jambo

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2016 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
This year I am trying a new mode of travel, this 150mpg duo engine motorized bicycle:

2lItlv2h.jpg

This is the route I am taking, mostly 25 miles per hour through mountains. If you are transiting this same area in the 3 days preceding or following the event or after maybe I can jump in your van for part of the way?

nsPCbRzh.jpg

If all goes well with my engines, I'll never have to bitchhike again. It also should fit under a pig with wings if I decide to hop freight instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koala and Kal

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Wow that looks really interesting, could you give us more details about the exact product you're using?

Sent from my LG-H815 using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

MilkaNoobie

Reaction score
Keep in mind that engine mounted to your tire will use up that tire a lot faster then normal... that space between where your legs go is perfect to mount a engine. Also I highly suggest a Adult tricycle if you can or a beach cruiser. 4 stroke engines (regular gas) are designed for Torque for climbing mountains or towing small trailers (more teeth on the sprocket less speed but much more torque) and 2 stroke (gas oil mix) is designed for speed. Don't forget to turn off the engine every hour for 15 minutes so you don't kill the engine.

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
I almost got the dax titan for my front engine @MilkaNoobie still might at some point but these Tanaka engines I have are great for reliability, running for up to 6 hours straight, better than Honda or Subaru's fourstrokes for that, duo engines gives me a chance to alternate their useage or powerup mountains in AWD. Also the friction drives removability and disengageability makes it more legal than a center mounted chain drive and it is lower maintenance. The tires do not wear much from the drive even after a good 500 miles, and now that I got schwalbes the wear is entirely imperceptible. @Buffalo the GEBE belt drives are better than what I have but out of my price range for sure. @Matt Derrick what I have here is two Staton-inc.com friction drives fitted with two Tanaka PF4000 engines making 2.2 horsepower each. Daxs 3hp titan motor can break 40mph I have heard, but if you want to go 50mph you will probably need a pusher trailer with a gocart engine.

Here's my bike with the engines now installed correctly on the left.

IEfEKhah.jpg

As for which company to go with, this is the place to start: http://motoredbikes.com/forums/dealer-reviews.109/

Last edited:
Reactions: jaws

TheWindAndRain

Banned
Reaction score
As long as it's 49cc or less and has pedals it's considered a moped and is street legal with no liscence or insurance required in most states (Indiana if it has a motor it is illegal)

There are actually many states and areas in which being able to quickly detach the engine allows you to not be subject to the laws governing motor driven cycles. An example from motoredbikes.com:

A Bicycle with a motor attached (engine shall not exceed 150cc, nor shall the engine exceed 5 brake horsepower, & total riderless weight shall not exceed 200-lbs) is a MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE in the State of Alabama. Attached literally means attached, so regardless of whether it is in use, or non-functional your motorized bicycle is a MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE - switching it off, removing a belt, or disabling an engine changes nothing. To make it not a MOTOR-DRIVEN CYCLE, you must DETACH the engine completely.

So imagine some cop is having a bad day, he might tell you whatever you have is illegal, being able to quickly remove the engine and place it in panniers, etc makes for an easy getaway be it on trails, roads, or interstates.

• Useful
Reactions: Hillbilly Castro
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads