my moms kicking me out, what should i do? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

my moms kicking me out, what should i do?

T

Tamah Go Das

and oh yeah.Seeing as how your in the body of a teenage girl I would be EXTREMELY careful about hitch-hiking and if you do carry pepperspray with you.that way if any fuckers want to try anything you can blind them and take their wallet.I almost want to suggest that you just stick to trainhopping but Id hate to find out that you were found all mangled up on the side of some tracks somewhere.you know where the youth drop in center in LA is right?always search out drop in centers wherever you go - they will be lifesavers.

C

circle_b

i left home and hit the road when I was 14 (seems like most people on here left pretty early .. ) - I'm a girl, and I don't really have much advice except the obvious: you need friends. if you don't have any friends of yours already in similar situations, go to the drop-in center. not just for whatever services they provide, but more importantly, maybe you'll meet some other kids to hook up with or travel, or find a new living situation. try to avoid the hard narcotics and drinking if at all possible, even if you have to hang out with the straightedge assholes.

i'm assuming you're a girl from your pic: as you probably know already, especially when you're traveling, expect people to try to take advantage of you all the fucking time because you're a girl, not just sexually. get a dog, better yet, travel with friends. traveler guys are often some of the worst offenders, unfortunately (not to impugn some of the nice guys on STP here).

please post a response if/when you decide what you're doing, or whatever happens.

T

trangus

wow!! u carry SSOO much shit! im way too lazy for that.
but then again, ive had my pack up to 80 pounds b4. but sometimes carrying steel tools is essential. thanx for advice to the yunguns though!
(this is intended to reply to cush on this post)

Post edited by: trangus, at: 2007/02/15 08:49

K

Kendall

Yeah, its pretty shitty of some of the people here to encourage someone in your position to go through school to its fullest extent. That just my opinion though. I just see it as an optionally avoidable crutch of a person working to end that sort of ridiculousness. One doesn't need a GED for traveling, right? Then why bother. Don't let the the pressure of society push your head under the water and make you do things you can easily get around. Don't waste the only life you've got. Peace, and the best of luck.

Marik

Reaction score
You could always just buy one of those online "life Experience" diplomas. I got one just for the hell of it. I went through a lot of different companies that require a highschool diploma by just saying I had one. I used the diploma I bought online to get a job at continental airlines, worked just fine. Expensive though..

T

trangus

yeah man.
FUCK SCHOOL!!!
i graduated, but that was like 10 years ago. i now see the folly of my ways. i shoulda droppe dout when i was 16! that many less years of engrained propaganda to erase. i have never needed my diploma for fuck-all! i havent worked for like 4 years and fuck it anyway. if i want cash i fly a sign. i hardly need it. unless u got addictions(alcohol, dope, coffee, cigs, pot, or whatever) u dont even need money. check the local dumpsters and food banks. of course if u feel that school will help u then do it, but realistically, its not necessary. in any case, u should have fun, and if u need to do something to get by, do it. but to prepare for something u cant possibly foresee is ridiculous. if u wanna get wasted, do it. if u wanna waste ur life, do it! im not advocating it, but whatever its gonna take to mold u as the person u gotta live with for the rest of ur life, get all the experience u can, cuz u only got one life. better to have gr8 stories than to have a few bucks stashed in a fuckin retirement fund! fuck money and fuck the shitstem!!!have fun and live, then die. yay life, boo propaganda.oh yeah! yayu for homemade wine that got me drunk!!!

If you really want to avoid the cops:

1) Lose the 'hawk. It's a cop magnet.

2) Get some clothes to help you go under the radar.
In addition to punks, cops are also very suspicious of moneyless looking people. So I'd highly recommend getting some respectable, middle class, non-teenage runaway looking clothes.
Maybe something from REI. Doing so will also help you acquire more food and clothes for free without detection.

You may also want to head north to the Bay Area. Berkeley Hare Krishnas serve 2 free meals a day. Berkeley FNB will have your back 5 days a week around 3PMIsh at Peoples Park. Plus there's some community at the servings and they will teach you some more getting by for free tricks and point you to some other free social services in town.

D

danvan

ha ha ha

my family where hari Krishna's when i was young
we lived on a farm community thing

only now looking back does that sound creapy

food rocks tho

and they have a festival where they litteraly build a mountain out of sweets to honor the holy mountain govadarn in india

FatAdam

Reaction score
public education = the government getting you ready to take orders IE slave labor IE the draft the army the navy the prison system and what have you..

thats why they started public education, to get kids used to discipline..

and lincoln didn't give two fucks about slavery

B

bakerdoo

I am all for do what you have to do to get by but...

I think there is an aspect of when you are young you are setting yourself and your life up to run how you want it to run. Having a high school diploma can make things easier but obviously is not needed. Do what you have to but if you think ahead it can make life easier. The STP community is obviously very good at surviving on nothing but not everyone is like that. Learn good survival skills and have a kick ass time.
you only live once

I am in a similar situation so thanks for all the help. I found a abandoned church in my neighborhood (i have a good network of friends here) and i have till octoberish to clean it up any advice would be great help with getting electricy and water is very much needed

shamus (mts)

Reaction score
i started when i was almost 15 hoppin freight and im almost 18 now (well 10 months from it but that doesnt matter) and if ur woried bout cops ive had 2 or three fake names its so fuckin easy to get threw the system. ive even gone to jail under the names befor when ive had my finger prints taken and put into a national system befor and they still come up clean as a whistle, u just gota convince them u r who u say u r, and always tell em u cant remember ur social and memorize what ur gunna say befor u say it. trust me its not hard to do you'll catch on quick, just suround urself with people who know what there doin and dont be stupid cuz thats how u get caught or ur ass kicked, and people will be hesitant about ur age, trust me people still r with me, but u have to show em u aint stupid and shit.

D

dVEC

Try to get emancipated before you go. It'll make things a LOT easier both for you and for anyone you meet down the road who might travel with you.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
I ain't gonna tell you where to go, that's between you and the road, but I will say this..."GO".

I'm with Cush on the list, but I'd make one change. Water! water is your life out there. wind and sun suck it out of you mad quick, so bring lots. a good third of my pack weight is water. Myself, I go for at least a gallon a day. that doesn't mean you have to carry thirty gallons with you for the month, just be able to find more when you run out. and you will run out...
Other than that, you'd be suprised just how little it really takes to keep body and soul together.

ride safe, eyes UP!

fill up on water before you run out. i usually have a container like a nalgene (though i just ditched that for a steel canteen) that holds about 40 oz...i can make it last if i have to, but i try to make sure it's never empty.

A

ariel418

There is no use in listening to the lies they sell you in school. Your off to a big adventure. Just be careful. Especially when your young there are a lot of people who want to take advantage of you. Don't worry about what your mom says it does sound like she is a bitch. I know about having a bitch for a mother I had one too. Don't believe everything people tell you & find your own way. You'll be much happier if you learn to do things for yourself.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
If you are 16 and want a life full of adventure, you should get an education first. (What two more years till you graduate)?
Sit down with your mom after she's back from her AA meeting and in a good mood. Explain to her that you really want to change. I mean it sounds like she is changing her life, or trying at least by going to AA! Tell her you will do ANYTHING that she says to stay! Get your education first because you are 16 and being 16 and hitching the streets you will either wind up in jail and with the very wrong crowd of junkies or you'll find out that so many of your rides that you will be getting will be from people that want to take you home and take advantage of you or rape you or worse,...kill you!!! You are 16 and too young to throw it all away to where you get to the point where you can't get off the streets when "you" want.
Wait until you get done with school this way when and if you get tired of the road, you can settle down anywhere that you want and start out fresh with no problems, otherwise you will wind up getting stuck out on the road/rails all your life and not be able to get off the streets when you choose to.
But if you do decide to leave your mothers arms, I wish you only the best travels and I hope you get to see/visit the most beautiful places in all the land and I also would hope that you run across somebody that might also give you a fresh start at life in a better environment than you are in now!

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Very good advice here as well from "Poking Victim"!...If you choose to go ahead and leave before graduating,
take and read any "How to" books, National Geographic, Readers Digest, Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, etc. Read, read and more reading and you will become smarter than any high school graduate!
Even though I graduated, I believe I still learned more by reading on my own than any teachers could have tought me! And again, good luck!
Reading is a good thing to do lots of if you're not in school.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads