My gear, your opinion please ... ;)

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Hi!
For my trip to UK I plan next month I have tried out what I'd like my gear to be:
IpIKzfO.jpg

• Ajungilak Sleeping Bag
  • Army Backpack I bought today, € 25 :)
  • Sleeping pad (will replace this, it's too bulky I think)
Inside:
QEBTY4v.jpg

• Bandanas
  • Thin long sleeved hoodie
  • Thicker hoodie jacket
  • Pair of jeans
  • T-Shirt
  • Pair of army pants (29 years old, bought used, holey, but my favorite pair of pants at the moment)
  • Another T-Shirt
  • Pair of cargo pants (but I think I'll leave them at home, the jeans will do)
  • Lined vest
  • Trash bags as ad hoc rain cover
  • Old 12" notebook
  • Gloves
  • Multitool
  • Shoes
  • Flip flops
  • Edit: cheap polyester blanket
Plus a t-shirt and a pair of army pants I wore taking the photo. What I will pack not shown above:
  • Underpants x3
  • Socks x3
  • Small LED flashlight
  • Smartphone (took the photo with it)
  • Small medical kit
And (ordered but not arrived yet):
1ED7Oz7.jpg

• Rain cape
  • 100ft paracord
  • Tarp
Without the things not shown in the two images on top the weight is about 9 kg / 20 lbs.
What do you think? Have I forgotten something essential? Please tell me what you think ...
Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• IpIKzfO.jpg
    IpIKzfO.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 355
  • 1ED7Oz7.jpg
    1ED7Oz7.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 331
  • QEBTY4v.jpg
    QEBTY4v.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

Unsure how you are travelin but those Vans are pretty useless for walking long distances or even biking or skating for that matter. I have traveled in chuck taylors, doc martens & cheap slip on skate shoes in the past & my feet have paid the price. More cushioned skate shoes do much better. Boots are ideal but expensive & often need to be broken in befor ethe blisters stop.Everything else looks really decent. I am more of a fan of actual goretex raingear (pants & jacket) & as far as shelter I always use a surplus military goretex bivy sack regardless of weather or season (in the summer I just use a thin cheap flece blanket & as it gets colder I change to heavier & better rated military sleeping bags<non goose down>). I am unsure how the water situation is in Europe but I know here in the US/CA I carry a water key for commercial, industrial or private water spigots. I also didn't notice any sort of vessels for carrying water?? Got a canteen?

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
Hi!
Thanks for your reply!
Unsure how you are travelin
Train (not freight ;)), bus but I really want to try hitchhiking. :)
but those Vans are pretty useless for walking long distances or even biking or skating for that matter. I have traveled in chuck taylors, doc martens & cheap slip on skate shoes in the past & my feet have paid the price.
Okay, good point. But I doubt I'll have problems with the Vans. I'm not quite normal when it comes to my footwear. :p I used to wear flip flops year round (even in snow), I like to walk barefoot when it's not too dangerous regarding debris, glass or dirt. Last months I was hiking with some neighbors, about 20 kilometer. They were all wearing hiking boots/shoes. Laughed at my Vans. I had no problems the hole day. Don't know. Everyone is talking about support and stuff. I don't like heavy shoes. ;)
Boots are ideal but expensive & often need to be broken in befor ethe blisters stop.
Yes. I have broken in boots but unfortunately:
p2TjYB9.jpg

My old army boots. The foam between the upper and the sole deteriorated so I had them resoled one day before I went to see customers in Bavaria. The shoemaker told me it probably won't be okay cause the glue has no time to dry. Well, we went tobogganing and that is the result. But as said, I don't like heave boots unless there is heavy snow.
Everything else looks really decent.
:)
I am more of a fan of actual goretex raingear (pants & jacket) & as far as shelter I always use a surplus military goretex bivy sack regardless of weather or season (in the summer I just use a thin cheap flece blanket & as it gets colder I change to heavier & better rated military sleeping bags<non goose down>).
Okay ...
I am unsure how the water situation is in Europe but I know here in the US/CA I carry a water key for commercial, industrial or private water spigots.
Good idea.
I also didn't notice any sort of vessels for carrying water?? Got a canteen?
No, I plan to bring that with me:
zeJOXG3.jpg

I have a canteen (US Army, bought 20 years ago, never used) but I think 1 1.5 liter bottle or two, three smaller bottles will do. I'm not going to wander a desert. On the contrary, I think being in England, Ireland, Scotland water will not be something I will miss. Thinking about rain. ;)

:)

Attachments

• p2TjYB9.jpg
    p2TjYB9.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 337
  • zeJOXG3.jpg
    zeJOXG3.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 355
S

spectacular

looks good. i had about that much when i started out. i have about half that now. it gets tiring carrying all that but some people make do. depends on how you are.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
looks good. i had about that much when i started out. i have about half that now.

yeah, my first gear was pretty similar as well, but now i carry twice as much stuff :p

my advice would be to not take my advice. (jk)

S

spectacular

you're gonna have to figure it out on your own. i know your feel...felt it at first myself and i was hitting up message board after message board and reading endlessly... it's scary being totally outside and living that way at first but whoever chooses that life ends up with their own preferences, much like living indoors. you don't know till u jump. nobody's preference is better than anyone else's.

troublefunk

Reaction score
In the U.K. at ANY time you might need waterproof's ;)...always good to have,pack down really small.
Do you have a bivvy bag? I got a higlander hawk w built in mosquito net,really roomy,great reviews and only £50 on amazon...packs down really small too n weighs 900g.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Not bad kit!

Only suggestion I could make would be, if it's in the budget, a portable solar charger for your smartphone for times when a traditional outlet isn't accessible.

Upside to that is that it is possible to secure the charger atop your pack and charge your stuff while on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kim Chee

I'd keep the sleeping pad. It is bulky, but it is light and you can attach it to the outside of your pack as you show in your first photo. A length of synthetic rope can be useful in attaching other items to your pack.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
Thanks for your answers!
you're gonna have to figure it out on your own. i know your feel...felt it at first myself and i was hitting up message board after message board and reading endlessly...
I don't know how many message boards and blogs I read in the last weeks. Let's say many. ;)
it's scary being totally outside and living that way at first but whoever chooses that life ends up with their own preferences, much like living indoors. you don't know till u jump. nobody's preference is better than anyone else's.
I'd like to get some feedback and advice from people experienced in all this. But think you're right. I'll find out what really works for me when I'm really travelling.

In the U.K. at ANY time you might need waterproof's ;)
I got word there are rumors some people in UK experienced clear sky and the sun shining, not verified though. :D
...always good to have,pack down really small.
Do you have a bivvy bag? I got a higlander hawk w built in mosquito net,really roomy,great reviews and only £50 on amazon...packs down really small too n weighs 900g.
No, I plan to use the tarp when it rains. When it's dry I like to sleep under open sky. Don't like walls around me. ;)
Not bad kit!

Only suggestion I could make would be, if it's in the budget, a portable solar charger for your smartphone for times when a traditional outlet isn't accessible.

Upside to that is that it is possible to secure the charger atop your pack and charge your stuff while on the road.
Good idea. Could be in budget, prices vary from 20 to over 100 € ... 20 would be okay. ;) Thanks for the tip.
I'd keep the sleeping pad. It is bulky, but it is light and you can attach it to the outside of your pack as you show in your first photo. A length of synthetic rope can be useful in attaching other items to your pack.
Okay. Just thought I could get a more comfortable pad the same size or a pad with the same comfort level (not much) ;) that takes less space. And yes, I'll get some more laces and some rope. Thanks.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
Update:
Now I think I have (almost) everything I need:
4348-1408609196-e0e22d1e2fc4e057e77563cb692ccde1.jpg

1. Rain poncho (very handy in UK I guess)
  2. Decent light grey hoodie
  3. Underpants
  4. Socks
  5. Two t-shirts (plus a black one I wore)
  6. Old hoodie jacket (don't care if it gets dirty or ripped more)
  7. Quite ragged army pants (began to sew them with floss)
  8. Decent pair of jeans
  9. Lined vest
  10. Bag with rope and small pegs for the tarp underneath
  11. Case for my glasses
  12. 100ft paracord
  13. Case with some small scissor and tweezers and alike
  14. Pencil case (used to store two pens, toothbrush, band-aids, painkilling tablets, etc.)
  15. Very cheap mp3 player and lighter
  16. Multitool and four larger pegs
  17. Gloves
  18. Bandana
Not shown: Shoes, Pants like (7) without holes, t-shirt and bandana I wore while taking the photo and smartphone.
Compared to my first idea I removed:
  • The red hoodie cause the grey one is thicker and better quality
  • The plastic bags (since now I have a tarp)
  • The blanket (takes too much space and I could buy it for £ 2 if needed)
  • The flip flops (also cheap if needed, but I doubt weather will be too hot to wear shoes)
Any comments are welcome ... :)

troublefunk

Reaction score
A hat,a beanie or something to keep ya ears warm? I was out at 6.45am today and it was damn chilly.I gotta keep my head warm ;) especially at night/early morning.
No jacket/coat to keep wind out at all?
You're right - 100% no need for flip flop's in U.K. ,it's like Autumn already here!!

• Useful
Reactions: Anagor

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
A hat,a beanie or something to keep ya ears warm?
Yes, of course. You're absolutely right. I'll pack a cap or alike. It's just that I normally wear something like that only in deep winter. But you need that when outside all the time I guess even in late summer/autumn. Thanks for the tip. :)
I was out at 6.45am today and it was damn chilly.I gotta keep my head warm ;) especially at night/early morning.
Yesterday morning as I woke up it was about 6° Celsius. Was a starry night, no problems so far (slept outside with my sleeping bag).
No jacket/coat to keep wind out at all?
No, I don't think so. The vest is quite warm. And in case I can wear 3 t-shirts and two hoodies and the vest + rainponcho. I guess that are enough layers. Don't you think?
You're right - 100% no need for flip flop's in U.K. ,it's like Autumn already here!!
That's no reason not to wear flip flops. :p Back in my university days I wore flip flops in winter. In the snow. :D I wasn't outside for longer periods of time, though.

I'm not sure if I take the notebook with me. It's not the weight or the size. It's the position. The only reasonable space I find is in the back of the backpack. And since the back is not padded, it's not really comfortable that way. Perhaps I'll leave it at home and take only my phone with me. Don't know yet.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads