My Gear List

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Hi! It really depends on what you plan to do and how do you want to travel. If you want to wander around a lot, staying in rural areas away from towns or cities and stuff you need to bring a lot of stuff. If you want to go from town to town, you can go lightweight.

For example, I was in England for (in total) three month, traveling by coach/bus and staying in hostels mostly, but also slept outside. I needed: Toiletries, a few clothes to have something to change into when you want to wash your stuff, underwear, socks (!!!), sleeping pad (could be substituted by cardboard) and sleeping bag.

Everything else I hauled (esp during my first trip) I rarely or never used. Never used my tarp. Or my paracord. Used my rain poncho once in Bristol (but only to try it out). Same with my multi tool. In fact I gave it away to a friend in Brighton, so she could tune her banjo.

Don't pack too much. If you stay near civilization, you can always get something for cheap if you feel the need. For example, in January in Bristol I got cold hands and I forgot to pack gloves. So I got a pair of woolen gloves at Poundland for one pound. Found it annoying to carry essentials (like cans of ciders ;) ) in a plastic bag all day long having my large backpack in the hostel. So I bought a simple, cheap backpack at Primark for 8 pounds as a daypack. (I still have it, it's the one shown in my current avatar picture). Bought lots of cheap socks, too.

As said, it depends on the (potential) situations. If it could be that you end up stuck somewhere outside cities and have to camp in the woods, bringing a tarp might be a good idea. But don't pack too much. Don't be like "this could be useful ... and ... well that could be useful, too ... and yeah this also". You will end up needing a mule to carry all your luggage. ;)

Reactions: Mankini

Aurum

Reaction score
When preparing a pack, for any journey, you should always prepare it, double check "essentials"(which constantly change upon the journey), then cut that in half.
If you can, keep at least 3 methods to make fire, 2 extra bandanas, a small folding mirror and unwaxed dental floss with a curved (upholstery/leather)needle stashed inside the floss container, just in case shit pops off, you get lost, you trip and cut yourself or you need to sew/patch your gear up.

Pro tip: if you're on a long trip, send yourself gift boxes to cities along your planned route containing food, other consumables (like soap or whatever)and socks. You never know how many socks you need till you walk a few hundred miles.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I hiked in the Green Mountains recently and experimented with an LBE. You can transfer a lot of stuff to a cargo vest or LBE and only use the pack for bulky items. Each item should have multiple uses.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
unwaxed dental floss with a curved (upholstery/leather)needle stashed inside the floss container, just in case shit pops off, you get lost, you trip and cut yourself or you need to sew/patch your gear up.

Yes, forgot about that in my post above. Used it a few times to sew my jeans and fix my shoes. Essential. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads