My First Post: Howdy! | Squat the Planet

My First Post: Howdy!

DoctorZ

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I ran across this web site digging around on the Internet. Years ago, I used to be on a web site called Digi-Hitch.com which had a lot of the same type of content as on here. The only difference is it seems Digi-Hitch had a much older crowd.

I've had my share of adventures, but none of them centered around hitch-hiking, train-hopping, or being homeless. However that doesn't mean my adventures are any less exciting, it's just there are not going to be that many people that can relate because it was such a different culture when I was in my youth.

So what did my adventures entail? Cruising and/or drag racing (with a car) on Main Street, finding runaways a place to stay, getting into car chases, Road Trips (vehicle), CB Radios, Storm Chasing (which I still do) and The Jam Line, or as some called it The Beep-Beep Line.

Now while the rest of the things I mentioned you've probably heard at least something about or even have some knowledge about, the Jam Line is going to take some explaining. The best way to think about it would be a mid-20th Century Social Media. It was discovered at first by Phone Phreakers (the equivalent of today's computer hackers). One would call a designated telephone number from ANY telephone and get a Busy Signal (usually a radio station song request line), but in the back ground of that busy signal would be a whole bunch of mostly Teenagers screaming, "Hello?" Actually the girls were screaming, "Any guys out there?" and the guys vice versa. Once it was established that a member of the opposite sex was on the line, a request for his/her phone number would be asked next.

Whoever gave out their phone number would then be the recipient of a ton of kids trying to call them. The fastest telephone exchange or dialer would get connected through. For me, when the girl would answer I would say, "Hi. Were you just on Jam Line?" She'd say, "Yes!" and it would go from there. I ended up meeting 100's of girls (and a few guys) off of the Jam Line. Another great aspect of it was since the number you called was always busy, it was Toll Free. Lots of callers were from other States!

After talking awhile you'd end up meeting in person. Sometimes it would lead to a relationship or a good friendship. The fastest Jam Line to meet I ever had was 20 minutes! I called, got these three girls at a sleepover, we talked for 20 minutes, and I drove out to meet them on a deserted country road at just after Midnight!

A few years ago NPR Radio did an interview of some local Jam Liners in the area. Here is a link to that story where you can even click on a tab and hear the old Jam Line audio from back in the day: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2012/12/24/arts/jam-line

Well that's my intro for this site.

Reactions: KittyCosmos

DuHastMich

Banned
Reaction score
Yea, I remember Digihitch. One of the founders passed away, and his wife didn't want to dick with the site. Then it got hacked by some bullshit hacking organization overseas, and everyone disbanded from there.

I made a last-ditch effort to buy the domain, restore the old posts and keep the site going, but the Godaddy (and the founders spouse) were less than cooperative. So I said fuck it.

Great news piece. And welcome aboard the STP bus.

Reactions: DoctorZ

DoctorZ

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
this introduction shows me the desire to get outside of the mainstream and do your own thing your own way, exists whatever era you came up in....

Actually Roguetrader, there was A LOT more freedom in this country back in the 1960's -- 1980's. Hitch-hikers were a DAILY site along the roadways. Runaway teenagers were also quite common. So common in fact, that they had "drop-in" centers for teens where they could spend one night no questions asked.

And of course, let's not forget the Hippie Movement of the 1960's and early 1970's, and before that the Beatniks of the 1950's.

It's down right frightening how oppressive American Society has gotten since 9-1-1.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Digihitch, woot!

Welcome.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads